New Member First Post! RE: Transitional Era Neck Pocket Markings

Boddah

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 11, 2022
Scotland
Hello and welcome, sorry I can't be of any help with the markings but I believe there are as many different marks in the neck pocket as there was people making them, it's a bit of a guessing game imho with the random squiggles/chicken scratches.

Nutone

New Member!
Dec 3, 2022
Maryland
You can see the paint stick mark. What is a little unusual on mine and Bazz Jass' is the appearance of what might have been a horizonal piece on the PS, as if it were a cross.

Quikstyl

Strat-O-Master
Nov 10, 2018
Bay Area, CA

richardb64

Strat-Talker
Jul 21, 2022
U.K.
Dec '63 neck date with clay dots and transition logo, Mid '64 pots, green guard, serial # L57463, grey bottom pickups pencil date 01-06-65 for neck and middle, 01-07-65 for bridge, ground wire to vibrato spring claw is blue cloth.
Interesting. Would be the earliest transition logo I’ve come across, assuming it’s original. Would be great to see more pics. I’ve never seen that shape of paint stick in the neck pocket before 1967 either.

Bazz Jass

Chairman of the Fingerboard
Silver Member
Nov 19, 2014
Off the map
Dec '63 neck date with clay dots and transition logo, Mid '64 pots, green guard, serial # L57463, grey bottom pickups pencil date 01-06-65 for neck and middle, 01-07-65 for bridge, ground wire to vibrato spring claw is blue cloth.
Wow. Rare to see this distance between dates on one guitar!

richardb64

Strat-Talker
Jul 21, 2022
U.K.
Well, to go back to your original question, that cross shaped paint stick outline and red felt tip is pretty much exclusive to 1968 in my experience. Never seen a neck pocket like that on an earlier guitar, say 1964 to 1966.

As mentioned above, really rare to see such a big spread of dates and features.

Nutone

New Member!
Dec 3, 2022
Maryland
Well, to go back to your original question, that cross shaped paint stick outline and red felt tip is pretty much exclusive to 1968 in my experience. Never seen a neck pocket like that on an earlier guitar, say 1964 to 1966.

As mentioned above, really rare to see such a big spread of dates and features.
There are a couple of 66's on Reverb now with red marker in the neck pockets.

Bazz Jass

Chairman of the Fingerboard
Silver Member
Nov 19, 2014
Off the map
Hi Bazz Jass. What year Strat is this neck pocket from?
Not my guitar. It was discussed in this thread as possibly being factory refinished in 1968: