New Member Introduction - €134 used Strat

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Zathan, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Zathan

Zathan Strat-Talk Member

Hi
    I'm a 50 year old dude from Denmark. I just love guitars, and I think of them as a piece of art, because I love to just look at them. I'd rather have guitars on my wall than paintings and pictures :)

I have to admit that I'm probably more a guitar collector than a player, since I now have 11 guitars ;)... And still can't play much. I have been "trying" to learn to play for about 2 years. But huge fingers, not much time (I'm a single parent) and bad excuses is the reason why I can't really play for real yet.
    See for yourself at my Youtube channel: C4R573N 0L53N Learning Lead Guitar

Anyway! I just got my first "real" Fender Stratocaster a few days ago for VERY little money (IMO)
    I bought a used 2013 Fender Modern Player HSS OW for €134 :) It was sold to me as defect, because It had no Bridge humbucker pickup and push/pull pot in it. The guy I bought it from had tried to replace the original pickup because it had a dead coil. But somehow he never got around to replacing the pickup and pot, and he just wanted to get rid of the guitar.
    I got the "broken" original pickup... the push/pull pot... a Roswell HAF alnico V pickup with a 250k pot... a strap and strap locks in on the deal as well.

Since I don't know if the original Fender humbucker is broken, I have installed the Roswell pickup and push/pull pot, so the guitar is now broad back to life again :)

I will try and figure out if the original humbucker pickup really is broken. Can a humbucker pickup really get a dead coil?. I'm sure there is a way to measure if it has a dead coil. Because I'd rather have the original Fender humbucker back in the guitar. If it really is broken, I would like to replace the Roswell humbucker at some point. Any suggestions?

I'm sure you would like to see how she looks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    JJ119, jaybones, tery and 4 others like this.
  2. Zathan

Zathan Strat-Talk Member

I guess I can't post pictures yet... Sorry guys :thumbd:

3. perttime

perttime Strat-O-Master

Welcome!
    I think we have lots of great guitarists, guitar builders, etc. here. I'm sure some can answer the defective pickup question. The rest like me have some guitars and can play a bit :p

Your photo links don't work. I chased them down to Flickr. I think this was one (you need a link to the .JPG file, not just the page). Uploading images to Strat Talk works well too. Not sure if you need some posts before uploading directly is allowed.

[​IMG]

JJ119 and Zathan like this.
  4. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo

Welcome on ST !

Zathan likes this.
  5. Zathan

Zathan Strat-Talk Member

Thank you for uploading my picture perttime :) I'm not sure if I need some more post, or I just don't know how to upload pictures.

6. banjaxed

banjaxed Senior Stratmaster

Hi and welcome to ST.

Zathan likes this.
  7. perttime

perttime Strat-O-Master

What I usually do to post Flickr images might be more complex than absolutely necessary. On a Windows laptop, I: open the page with the photo -> click the download icon (to the right) -> click View all sizes -> click a size that seems suitable -> right click on the photo and select View image -> copy the .jpg file address from the top of my browser -> insert that here as Image URL.

Using the Share icon and then BBCode should work too but then you get a lot more code to insert.

Zathan likes this.
  8. Zathan

Zathan Strat-Talk Member

Thanks... I was able to figure it out by using the BBCode and just copy the image part. But your way is much easier :)

9. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Welcome!
    I’m 54, been playing 3 1/2 years, and have 7 guitars, a bass, 4 amps and a pedalboard. So I totally get it...;)
    Looks like a nice collection!

Zathan likes this.
  10. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member

Welcome in @Zathan beautiful Strat you have there..

Zathan likes this.
  11. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Hi Carsten,

I like Denmark and I like that guitar und finally I liked your introduction.
    **** the Fender bucker I bet even the Roswell is better than that.
    Besides you can measure the coil, it is pretty simple - just for a 1st test measure using a multimeter if it is broken (beep on Multimeter - continuity) 2nd measure kΩ on high setting (20 kΩ).
    One end of the coil to the other end. Measure both coils - they should be about the same reading.

Greetings to Denmark,
    Robin

Zathan likes this.
  12. Zathan

Zathan Strat-Talk Member

Hi Robin

Thank you for your guide how to measure the coils on the original humbucker. I just need to get a multimeter :)
    But, if you say the Roswell pickup probably is better that the original Fender, I'm not in a hurry.
    Do you have a recommendation for a humbucker to replace the Roswell with? have you any knowledge of Irongear or Tonerider pickups?

Is it you one your avatar? it looks like you have a Gibson/Epiphone Flying V Korina? I have a Epiphone Explorer Korina. It's fantastic!

Robins likes this.
  13. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to Strat-Talk :)

Zathan likes this.
  14. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

That crazy guy in my avatar is Eddie Van Halen with his original(!) ´58 Gibson Flying V.
    I have 3 (and a mini one xD ) now but I really want a ´79 Block Inlay Gibson V - she just has to find me. I am positive about that.

The Roswell pickups are better, no question. Sorry, I have no experience with either Irongear or Tonerider but play the Roswell for some time. I think it really is a great PAF copy.
    Here are my 3 Vs
    [​IMG]
    Gibson white ´67 RI, Michael Schenker V, Hoyer Flying Arrow ´72

All the best,
    Robin

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Zathan likes this.
  15. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

Welcome from Ireland and love the pictures

Zathan likes this.
  16. Zathan

Zathan Strat-Talk Member

LOL.. Yeah, I figured it out :)

17. Zathan

Zathan Strat-Talk Member

I modified my Fender Modern Player today. No sounds, only visible changes in this video:

JJ119 and MarkJB like this.
  18. JJ119

JJ119 Strat-Talker

Good work and nice guitar!