New Member, New Strat

Stratty76

New Member!
Dec 7, 2020
Oregon
Hey everyone, occasional lurker here. So I came looking to see what anyone else knew about this guitar. My wife(so awesome!) scored me one of these for Christmas from CME. She may have had an inkling of a few I was looking at of course, and I'd been into this one since coming across it. Sorry, no pics for now, but can add some later. I'll let the OP go first! :)

I do love the looks and the sound, but am a bit bugged by the frets on the top by the low E seem rather sharp. And just about all of them up to the 12th fret or so. Lesser so by the high E. I can also see marks on the top side of the neck by a good number of frets where the stain is less, as it looks like they've filed the fret end down due to excessive fret sprout and didn't mind getting the finish of the neck too. While I'm realizing that this is ~$1,000 guitar, and not a complete custom or relic, with this and a couple other things, it seems that the feel of this guitar is more of a build of parts that may not have passed QA. Not necessarily 'road worn' from a 'new guitar'. For the most part most of this stuff doesn't really both me, but sometimes there are just those things like sharp frets that are a PITA. The whammy bar is also really loose and hanging straight down and swinging if I'm playing, or just hanging at 6 o'clock if it's on the wall. If I try to rotate it around again, it gets reeeeally firm at about noon(straight up) and it feels like I'm going to break something if I continue to rotate it. Maybe someone knows a fix for it? I haven't torn into it yet since it's new, and I'd rather be playing it. I've got three youngish kids, so playing time is at a premium! The top side of the pick guard also seems to be scraped up for 2-3 inches on the underside side, so up against the body of the guitar. Not a deal breaker, but odd.

THAT being said, the sound out of the vintera pickups is warm and full, and unlike any other sound in what's in the stable. The purple is killer, and the finish with the cracks and wear spots is really, really cool. All the electronics work just fine. The neck is a bit fatter than the others Fenders I've got, which takes a bit of getting used too, but as we know, that gives this guitar it's personality.

The Mischief Maker is definitely a guitar I want to have, just not sure if I want to deal with getting the parts and learning how to round all these frets off, or pay someone else to do it. Or return it for another and dealing with the shipping hassle, when the rest of it seems pretty damn nice. I figure I can probably find a few YouTube videos on the whammy bar fix.

All in all, a pretty cool guitar! :)

BuffaloHound

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 25, 2018
S
Your trem arm needs a little cheap spring in the hole. CME might not have included it, you missed it in the packaging, or it’s still in a case pocket waiting for you. Take the guitar to a tech for the frets. Cost will be $45-$90 bucks. I assumed this extra cost on any guitar purchase.
When I bought my Vintera I paid $300 extra for the frets and nut to be PLEKKED. I’ll never buy another guitar without having this done.

Stratty76

New Member!
Dec 7, 2020
Oregon
Thanks for the replies. Highly appreciated. I wasn't able to locate a small cheap spring in the bag. They look like they are easy enough to find.

I'll see if I can find a tech close by besides GC that can quote reasonably well on the fret job too.