Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

New member, new to guitars

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mscjr, Jan 2, 2017.

1. mscjr

mscjr Strat-Talk Member

Jan 2, 2017
    VA
    Having fiddled (pun intended) with various instruments a few times at various stages of my life, I've decided (at 42) that I'm committed to learning to play the guitar. On one part, because I feel driven to do so, and on another part in that my 7yo is learning to play piano. I can help make instrument practice seem more fun and compelling than just another chore, if only my parents had done the same.

My wife bought me a nice Taylor 100 series about a month ago to learn on, and that's been great but rough on my fingers. A few weeks ago I ended up in a trade and found myself with a Gibson SG, and discovered that not only can I practice at night and not wake the family, I can do it without punishing my fingers!

Long story short, I liked the comfort and quiet of the electric, but I didn't really care for the SG. I was bending notes unintentionally and the neck felt like a spaghetti noodle (not loose, just bendy). I spent about 2 hours in the local guitar place, intent on picking up a Les Paul, played everything I could get my hands on, and this one Strat made me sound better than I was, in addition to me being able to play the F chord on it (I'm still learning).

At the end of the day, I walked out with a barely used (white w/ tort pg) American Standard and have been loving it ever since.

Edit - added obligatory pic
    IMG_1412.JPG

axeman83, Nate D, Fendereedo and 15 others like this.
  2. Chief101

Chief101 Strat-O-Master

Jan 14, 2012
    Kentucky
    Very nice. I have a small twinge of envy for your Olympic White/Rosewood Am Std.

Learning to play on an Am Std Strat is like learning to drive in a Ferrari. It will take a long time and a lot of practice to play beyond the capabilities of that beauty. Have it set up properly and take care of it and it will last a lifetime.

3. xland

xland Senior Stratmaster

Oct 5, 2014
    Illinois
    Welcome to ST and congratulations on deciding to learn to play guitar!!! I started later in life as well, I started at 45 years old. It's been 2 1/2 years now and it's one of the best decisions I've made, I'm having a blast.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!! And nice Strat!!!

LostSong and Mansonienne like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "I have a cunning plan" Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 7, 2014
    Gibsons British Columbia
    Welcome to the zoo mscjr. I agree with Chief, you have made the correct choice

Took me a couple of tries too, then I got my Strat :thumb:

LostSong likes this.
  6. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    Welcome from another latecomer to guitar!!!

7. nungesser

nungesser Lightning coming out of the speakers Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    Welcome aboard!
    good move on playing a bunch of guitars and finding the one that suited you best

8. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    WOW, that's a cool story! You quickly found what works for you.

FWIW, I also found Strats to be easier to play (compared to LP's) when first learning the basics.

congrats again

9. LPBlue

LPBlue Most Honored Senior Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Canada, near the other end
    You know...you'll never get out...right?:eek: Welcome aboard!:D

Jigglebone and Mansonienne like this.
  10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Cool story, and welcome to ST.

11. Del1

Del1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 12, 2010
    Kent, UK
    Hello and welcome - lovely Strat, I hope you enjoy developing your skills on it. And if the F chord you mention is the barre version at the first fret, you're well on the way.

12. mscjr

mscjr Strat-Talk Member

Jan 2, 2017
    VA
    Thanks for the welcome guys!

13. Stratopanoz

Stratopanoz Strat-Talk Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Indonesia
    Nice guitar and really you are a dedicated person good luck mscjr ;)

14. KONA

KONA Strat-O-Master

Jan 5, 2017
    Austin
    Welcome. I am going to be 42 in March and just started learning a few months back. Are you going lessons or self taught via web?

15. john o

john o Strat-Talker

Apr 13, 2016
    Delaware
    I like tort on oly white as well. congrats, enjoy!
    strat update 002.JPG

gofmusic likes this.
  16. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    Welcome to the madness... if your just getting going check out Justinguitar.com. He runs a great beginners course that logically takes your through the foundations you'll need to learn and it's free (well donation based. I'm using it as a structure to teach my daughter and it's working really well.

KONA and circles like this.
  17. KONA

KONA Strat-O-Master

Jan 5, 2017
    Austin
    I am using the Justin stuff to. Amazon has his Beginner, beginner songs and intermediate books as a package for $20-$30 atm His videos are terrific, good pace and easy to understand

18. jaybones

jaybones Senior Stratmaster

Congrats on finally finding the right guitar!

And as far as that F chord, I struggled a little with it when I started. One tip that helped me, make sure you're in proper playing position. Head up, shoulders square, back straight, headstock level with shoulder, elbow hanging straight down from the fretting hand, wrist loose, thumb in the middle of the neck (cover that skunk stripe), fingers arched over the frets with tips only touching the strings.

If you look down, or have your elbow tucked into your body you'll hunch over and constrict yourself making it harder to reach the frets. Learn barre chord, E and A string all the way up the neck.

19. GuitimeDennis

GuitimeDennis Strat-Talk Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Portland, Or.
    Learning the guitar on an American standard is awesome because the songs you learn will sound like the original artist....Good luck

LostSong likes this.
  20. hornrocker

hornrocker Strat-Talk Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Illinois
  21. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Strat-O-Master

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    You are starting with a good guitar, you appear to be motivated, and the internet is the best guitar teacher in the world. Can't go wrong!