New member with a few old guitars

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Athinity Squire, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Athinity Squire

Athinity Squire New Member!

Hi Strat people, somewhat of a lurker but I had to join finally to show a few things I've been collecting and ask how common they are.

Main one is I have a C series MIJ strat. I think it's from '85. It has these low output ceramics, but they are the nicest ceramics I've heard. They don't do everything, but for clean sounds, I prefer them over pretty much anything else I've heard. It's a kind of niche sound, but they sound really acoustic. So I popped the cover off to get a better idea of what these beasts are. I presume they are factory but not sure. For comparison I've had a few different SDs and DiMarzios, and a whole lot of crappy factory pickups that I've put them up against.

They are non-staggered, and have silver wiring. Does anyone know if that was standard? I've only seen copper wiring in factory pickups. Trying to attach a few photos. They are only 4.3 -4.4 k (neck is actually highest), which seems really low.

Also this neck, although beat to hell, and with several bad dings and fret wear, plays nicer than anything else I've had my hands on, including douching around in stores on some fairly nice instruments. I'm kind of stunned how good it is. I bought it thinking it played so well so I would mod the sounds but it sounds go good I'm thinking not to screw with it, except maybe add a series option. Especially since the pups are low resistance, I guess they will work well with a series option.

Then I have a few other projects on the boil. Got an affinity strat I'm converting to Fishman Fluences, because I liked how it played but not how it sounded. Totally doesn't fit (push-pulls are way too deep) so I'm hand carving the damn thing out of stubbornness. Probably should have started with a different body but I'm halfway through now.

Also got a few cheaper Legends and Arias etc, that I practiced modding on before getting the MIJ strat, a Les Paul, and a tele that I liked a lot, but I had to dump because it beat the hell out of my forearm when I played it. I really tried to be a tele guy, but I admitted I'm a strat guy. For me, it's the shape that works.

IMG_20200528_220053Fix2.jpg IMG_20200528_220109Fix2.jpg

hornpiper, tery, dbolt and 4 others like this.
  2. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to strat talk glad you are joining lots of cool people here. It slows down here at night so you might not get alot of replys. Sounds like you got some cool gear and projects going. :)

Deathray, 3bolt79 and Athinity Squire like this.
  3. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

I had those same pickups in a '80s MIJ Strat. I didn't like them. Way too thin and brittle sounding to me. Mine also measured around 4.5k. I don't remember what I replaced them with at first, but my Strat ended up with Lace Sensors eventually.

Anyway,
    Welcome to ST:)

3bolt79 and Athinity Squire like this.
  4. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to ST!

3bolt79 and Athinity Squire like this.
  5. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

Welcome! :thumb:

We will need pictures of the rest of the guitar as well to complete the onboarding process. ;)

6. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Strat-O-Master

Let's see those Legends! My first guitar that I actually liked was a Legend, so I've got a bit of a thing for them...

Athinity Squire likes this.
  7. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome and please post pics.

Deathray and Athinity Squire like this.
  8. Athinity Squire

Thanks a lot to everyone!

I don't think I have a single photo of the actual whole guitar. I've got the electronics, the shielding I did, etc etc. Didn't actually think to take the whole thing. Well I'll get on that when I get back. The MIJ strat is not that much to look at, but I almost like it better that way. Bit of a sleeper. It had big chunks of paint broken off, from being slammed into the guitar stand (I assume), so was authentically reliced but I patched them up to protect the wood. So now it doesn't look old enough to be a relic and not new enough to be shiny. Anyway I'll get a shot. I'm really surprised by these factory ceramics. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but they really sound special to me. Like if you strum a chord, it sings sort of like an acoustic. With gain, they sound less good to others, but with just a touch of reverb, I can get kind of lost in that sound. I'll see how the Fishman's go, but I'm thinking I might just keep the ceramics as is.

The legends look alright though, fairly nice. I have them right here, so I took two photos of those. I'm not really working on these, but if you're interested, I got the first one with all single coils, and it's fine. Doesn't light my fire, but it's solid. Frets are a little sharp. The second one I saw had HSS pups that looked like maybe they were Schecter to me. I bought on-sight only being able to hear it acoustically since it was broken. It played nicely, your hand kind of glides over it, and the frets seem prepped pretty nicely. There is a coil-cut switch that was broken and the pots were all broken. I think the whole guitar had been dropped on its face, so I replaced them all (with same values) and put a flat coil-cut switch in that's harder to hit by accident when you play. Once it was running again, I could hear how they sound. Pretty sure they are factory. They don't sound that great to me. The humbucker sounds particularly poor. I have Epiphones and an EJ custom to compare to, even the cheap Epiphones are miles ahead of this thing... I like how it looks though. I also did a pretty full-on shielding job, you can see the little hint of copper tape I ran to give a solid ground to the jack plate. I know that's not really conventional. Plays nicely (and it's quiet!) but the sound is just so-so, and the intonation is adjusted all the way back on the E string and still not quite right. Perhaps the dropping by the previous owner didn't help the intonation! I don't know...

Attached Files:

HighwayStar106 and Malurkey like this.
  9. Deathray

Deathray Senior Stratmaster

Welcome!

10. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Strat-Talker

Welcome to ST. We'll wait while you take pictures.:D

Deathray and Athinity Squire like this.
  11. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

Welcome, looking forward to seeing the pictures.

12. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to Strat-Talk :)

13. fos1

fos1 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to Strat-Talk.

14. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

Welcome!

15. Athinity Squire

Alrighty, first up is the MIJ strat. It's no beauty queen, but I'm in the honeymoon phase with it. I don't know why I like it so much.

The photos don't really show all the scratches. Pretty sure the Gotoh tuners are standard on this model, which are nice. Only one string tree, and the D string pops out sometimes so I'll add another. I got the tremolo decked and the shielding mostly complete.

I just got the Fishmans shoehorned into the Affinity, absolutely nothing fits, even the back plate, so it's in pieces till I get it a bit nicer, but it does work so I'm on the right track. I'll post that one when it's ready. Is it better to just keep adding to this thread or start a new one? I guess better to add, which keeps the posts organized?

Attached Files: