New neck...now I'm busting high E's like crazy.

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Bahnzo, May 2, 2021.

1. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talker

This is indeed one of the most bizarre issues I've heard. 8 strings breaking?? I wouldn't rule out some kind of paranormal activity there... :D
    I think I broke about 8 strings in my whole life! lol

Seriously, though, I've never heard of a guitar that breaks strings like that, not even on very poor fret leveling jobs. The crowning is essential for a good tone, and also to prevent the 'blade effect' that @Redhouse mentioned. But even then, it's hardly enough to break so many strings in a row, unless the strings are already a bad batch...

But then again: strings WEAR FRETS out! They are much, much stronger than frets. Some minor sharp edge that could only be seen with a giant magnifier wouldn't be cutting through strings like butter! It's insane! I've seen frets that were rough and sharp like powertools, and they didn't eat strings like that...

The only explanation that sounds reasonable to me, other than aliens or a curse, is a combination of many factors mentioned above, including (slightly) bad strings, all lined up against you. Maybe there is a curse involved after all... :eek:

Btw, I've never met someone who LIKES flat frets, only people who don't NOTICE how bad they sound. I did many fret leveling jobs when I started messing w/ guitars, but always neglected the crowning because it's time-consuming, boring and required an 'expensive' tool I didn't have. However, my guitars sounded like bees, no matter how much setup I did. Eventually my brain worked, and I figured this crowning thing was a thing for a reason.

Ebidis likes this.
  2. rockon1

rockon1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Then again just because the frets are softer doesnt mean they dont wear the harder metal- just at a dissimilar rate. I use steel wrapped GHS Boomers and they get divots in them from the frets. The fact that (as far as I know) the only thing thats essentially changed is the frets they would be my first suspect. As I previously mentioned I would look at them in bright light with strong readers.

Esg877 likes this.
  3. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talker

Sure, I agree. Water pokes holes in rocks... but it takes a gazillion years. What I find strange is that the frets are cutting the strings so fast. A sharp fret, in any point, would take quite sometime to cut a string, in my limited experience. Maybe he plays 10 hours a day, everyday...

But I sort-of agree w/ you. Something about the frets is off, but I'm saying that maybe something about the strings is off too, he just hadn't noticed before because his frets were 'normal'.

I'd LOVE to see a picture of those frets well magnified. That could solve the mystery.

Stephen James and rockon1 like this.
  4. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

I’m telling you buddy, believe it. I broke tons of strings and it doesn’t matter how good those frets look (most) new frets are going to be sharper than quite used ones or polished ones of an excellent degree. You push hard enough and you will start cutting into the string. In my view from a high magnification I could see nice divots on the strings where I was playing and stretching the most. The strings are under high tension and if there’s just a little structural damage done, what’s going to happen? It breaks right there. I broke a new EB 9 in 30 minutes on my PRS before I had the frets filed some more from a local pro shop.

Doesn’t matter which steel is harder. Steel to steel you’re going to get wear. Look at it like this:
    Put in a brand new razor blade. Cut a few very very weak cardboard boxes. Quickly, that steel is dull and that’s a war between steel and cardboard! Look who won - the cardboard (eventually).
    Or, look at a hacksaw blade. High strength steel with very sharp teeth against a soft pipe. Sure you rip through the pipe but very soon the blade teeth get worn and damaged.
    And a string is very very thin and then we stretch the crap out of it repeatedly. Snap. So, as earlier mentioned, anyone who presses down too hard, especially with newer frets that aren’t perfect, with less than awesome strings is going to snap that string faster. BTDT. Get some NYXL’s they take way more abuse and that’s why they’re twice the price.

Stephen James likes this.
  5. stevingles

stevingles New Member!

I would try a different brand of strings.I used to love EB's,but lately I've read a lot of bad reviews on them.Could be just some bad batches of strings.A magnifying glass wouldn't hurt.

6. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talker

Ok, I believe you. Indeed it has to be fret-related, or alien related. Since the Pentagon did not confirm any alien guitar footage, I'll go with your explanation and experience.

I've worked on dozens of guitars, played countless others, and I had never seen a fret 'slice' strings like that, after a proper level&crown&polish (as the OP related). This is the strange part. That you could pick up a guitar at GC and the frets are razors out of the box, that wouldn't surprise me. But after a (supposedly) competent tech worked his magic on the frets, still slicing? That's a new one for me.

Anyway, I consider this case closed, Agent Mulder.

(ps. I just installed a set of NYXLs on my Ibanez a few weeks ago, and I liked them. But they came out of the seal with a couple of brown spots on several strings. Brand new and already oxidized. Let's see how they fare...)

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  7. Maplelover

Maplelover Strat-Talk Member

Back in 1971, everyone jumped on Slinky's. I used them for 30 years. As time passed, they went down hill, I switched to SIT's 15 years ago and no looking back. They have a 9 1/2 that's cool, but after I play for a few weeks regular, I back to 10's. They don't break, I can make the E's "kiss" and still don't. I think you may have a slight bur unseen.