New old Rory

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stratoman10, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Not sure how I feel about stuff like this sometimes. On one hand there are usually a few interesting bits on these.

But also there is the feeling that estates are just trying to put out any little bit of content they can drag up from the cellar as well. Having said that though I gotta admit Check Shirt Wizard and Notes From San Francisco were very well done and I'm glad I have them. And the Blues as well

https://www.uncut.co.uk/news/rory-gallagher-solo-debut-gets-deluxe-box-set-treatment-133005/?amp

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    CigBurn and dbb541 like this.
  2. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

I think sometimes the best thing about these is it opens up Rory's work to people who might not have caught on earlier.

3. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist El Salado Guitartist Silver Member

Personally, I love when lost treasures are released (although sometimes they are duds). If the estate can make a few bucks, great. The important thing is that some new cuts get released to a still hungry fan-base.
    I hope the Rory, Prince, SRV, Hendrix, etc. stuff keeps pouring out for decades to come. :):)

4. Stratoman10

Actually its some of the Hendrix stuff and especially Tommy Bolin that make me a little leery about these things.

I haven't really heard any posthumous SRV. I just suffer from SRV overload in general. Love his playing. Saw him live a bunch of times but I just cant listen to much anymore

Miotch and guitarchaeologist like this.
  5. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-O-Master

Nobody is forcing ANYONE to buy it. The estate may of course be doing this purely for monetary gain, but they may also feel that stuff like this is likely of interest to people. It may only be of interest to the die-hard fans I suppose, in which case I can’t imagine many copies being sold.

from an artists perspective I guess it’s debatable whether they would want unfinished/rough etc bits of music be released, sadly though Rory isn’t around to query that. Perhaps the estate should respect this and maybe not tarnish his legacy by releasing stuff that’s unfinished? Who knows

6. Stratoman10

Depending on price I might go for it. I'm pretty sure there will be good stuff in there. But there's always the nagging feeling about if the artist didn't release it when it was done, why not ? I understand labels get in the way, legal issues maybe, all that type of stuff.

Plus how many versions of the same song are enough enter the equation. I have tons of Rory as it is. Not quite a completist, but not far off either

7. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-O-Master

all good points @Stratoman10

8. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Hmmmmm.....
    Wonder if all the vinyl I've been dragging around will last...
    Oh wait
    I'm 80...

Stratoman10 likes this.
  9. dublindave8456

dublindave8456 Senior Stratmaster

I think the estate would be looked after by his brother Donal,
    who was his manager from the start...
    I knew him, back in the old days and he is a straight up guy who doesn't need the money,
    by releasing old crap....

https://rorygallagher.com/a-message-from-donal-gallagher-on-rorys-25th-anniversary/

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/20...laghers-nephew-on-life-with-his-famous-uncle/

this is a great read......

Rory and the rolling stones.....

now thats what I want to hear !!!!

https://www.eonmusic.co.uk/donal-gallagher-rory-gallagher-eonmusic-interview-june-2020.html

dbb541 likes this.
  10. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-O-Master

Long time Rory fan here. I think Check Shirt Wizard is great, Any time there's something new released from one of my favorite deceased guitar heroes I'm stoked.

11. nungesser

nungesser crash into your windshield of love

Yes! the estate is Donal. this is not a question of cashing in but more keeping Rory's memory alive and allowing his fan's to hear things that they haven't heard before. He's spent years putting together decent recordings to release instead of just throwing any old thing out there.

dublindave8456 likes this.
  12. Jeepocaster

Jeepocaster Senior Stratmaster

I think there were one or two completed albums that were shelved and never released. Due to direction or style change or something.

13. Stratoman10

I think the Original Notes From San Francisco was buried but eventually saw the light of day. That may where the second disc of live material came in. Its a great disc. I also think Wheels Within Wheels was posthumous but I won't swear to it

14. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

Kind of agree with your comment on posthumous releases. There were a few releases of Jimi's stuff that were pretty iffy. In this case though it might be worth a closer look.. who knows?

Prices from Amazon.
    RG.jpg

15. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

"Here's a release of some stuff the artist didn't consider good enough for release".

OTOH, usually there's lots of good stuff and we can't figure out why they didn't release it.

I'm reminded of a story about Jeff Beck and Blow by Blow. Apparently he re-did the recordings many times... showing up at the studio again and again to do it over. Finally they were all done. A couple days later Jeff's producer gets a call (paraphrasing) "I want to redo everything". The producer said "Too late, it's already gone to production".

So, the amazing stuff you hear on Blow by Blow wasn't good enough for Jeff. And so, I'm OK with releasing stuff after a star passes on - the market can decide if the estate should have done it or not.

16. Censport

Censport Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

Another long-time fan here, although by the time I was old enough to attend concerts on my own, Rory had stopped touring the states. Anyway, my musical life has been enriched by his music, so the many live concerts on Y'Tube and new old stock releases are welcomed. Bought Check Shirt Wizard as soon as it came out and think it's excellent.

Talented authors and talented musicians have a way of connecting with us without meeting in person, so we miss people we only know through their work. Hearing a new CD from Rory is like finding a lost letter from an old friend that's passed.

17. Stratoman10

The Rory stuff I've heard has been really good, I can't complain. My comment is really about the feeling I get sometimes this late in the game as to where it all came from