1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

New pedal disappointment

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Bartislartfast, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Bartislartfast

Bartislartfast Strat-Talk Member

What happened was I bought a Landlord Whiskey Chaser distortion pedal. I wanted more meat on the bones , more grit. I wanted instant results. And I was disappointed. But after a few weeks I found the sweet spot and the end result was that I had found the perfect tone for me and I didn’t realise.
    It was only when I watched one of the online gigs we did in lockdown, that I appreciated the tone I was getting.
    Funnily enough, whilst I was unhappy with that pedal I ordered a Proco Rat. So I have that on my pedal board as well.

Sometimes the search for a perfect sound is like chasing the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

Maybe the rule should be to wait a few weeks and experiment a lot with a new pedal.

GeeDub, dante1963, 3bolt79 and 2 others like this.
  2. scooteraz

scooteraz Senior Stratmaster

Over the years, I have had pedals on my board, then taken them off, then put them back. I’ve had several Fuldrives of various vintages and semi-conductors. Loved and hated them all. I have an early Zvex Fuzz Factory that I now use on special occasions, where too much fuzz is just enough. But, as an every day fuzz, I use something else. I’ve had other pedals that, like you, I hated out of the box, then I found the secret decoder ring of the pedal/guitar/amp combination, and loved that sound later.

For me the rule is, don’t rule anything out.

GeeDub, Stratoskater, 3bolt79 and 3 others like this.
  3. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Ask anyone who's ever owned a Tubescreamer.

There are days it sounds like ass and days it sounds like you're levitating above the earth.

4. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Only sometimes? :)

Stratoskater and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. Chubbles

Chubbles Strat-Talker

Whenever I get GAS, I sometimes watch pedal review videos on pedals that I already have. It gives me ideas on how to use them differently. You know, something to shoot for.

Jason D, Tone Deaf, Opj77 and 4 others like this.
  6. bustoff

bustoff Strat-Talk Member

I love this. Sometimes you just need to learn more about what you already have.

Stratoskater and 3bolt79 like this.
  7. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Strat-O-Master

"Beware the man with one gun, for he surely knows how to use it"

If you don't watch Five Watt World on YouTube, you should. It's about getting the most results out of the least gear. And there's a whole bunch of really good "A Short History" vids about different gear throughout history.

8. bustoff

bustoff Strat-Talk Member

I enjoy Five Watt World. Also, I have spent enough on pedals to learn that I sound the way I want to sound straight in and riding the volume knob on the guitar.

Wound_Up and 3bolt79 like this.
  9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

I've been there. To my ears it sounded good only when I had some natural amp grit already to blend with the TS grit, TS by itself was meh. I never really get to do that much though, so I sold it on.

3bolt79 likes this.
  10. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

How we may perceive most anything can change from day to day or even hour to hour. While a hamburger and fries for dinner seemed like a good idea at 9:00 AM at 6:00 PM pizza sounded far better.

So why not our gear as well?

Wound_Up and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

You roll the dice....you take your chances.

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. Stratattack72

Stratattack72 Strat-O-Master

Sometimes it is better to stack overdrives rather then use a distortion pedal. I found the secret to using onboard overdrive is to set it where you want for a preamp rhythm tone and then blend the overdrive pedal for the push for leads. works great !