New Pickup Day

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Dick Blackmore, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

Got some new pickups in the mail today. Not for Strats but exciting none the less.

EMG Retro Active FAT 55-7

These will be replacing the 57-7H and 60-7XH in my LTD 7 String Baritone. Originally it came with 81-7XH/60-7XH but I never got along with the 81 outside of metal, something I play less and less of. The 60 is great and rolled off about halfway on volume it almost gets a Rosenwinkel sound. The Retroactives are supposed to be more vintage PAF like than the 57-7\66-7 set which I did not get along with the 66 and how I ended up with a 57-7H/60-7XH coupling. Since the 60 uses an active tone circuit it compresses the 57 a bit which has always bugged me. These are supposedly lower output, this guitar tends to push my amp into overdrive if I don't watch the volume knob.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hopefully some samples this weekend.

thomquietwolf, mshivy and DickBanks like this.
  2. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Congrats! I hope you get the sounds you are looking for and am looking forward to hearing how they sound.
    Plus I know what you mean about the 81 sound as well as the 60 sound. I never could get along with the 81s that I had in any of my guitars I tried them in so I started trying different things. Finally, in my Charvel, I settled on an 89 in the bridge and a 60in the neck. That guitar is my favorite guitar ever... not only to play but also in how it sounds; just smooth and creamy through and through. Both of my Jacksons are also active, Olic, my Dinky has an 89/SA/SA (all older) set that I pieced together. Both of those guitars also have a 9v/18v switch to change the headroom too. My other Jackson, an RRXMG, came with an 81/85 set that got stripped really quickly and replaced with an SD AHB-1 Blackout set... another really nice alternative to the 81/85.

Dick Blackmore likes this.
  3. Dick Blackmore

I tried the 18v mod but I did not hear much of difference, perhaps because I have the X versions of the 81/60. I am looking forward to hearing the FAT 55 I installed them last night they look great. You gotta love the EMG solderless system it is top notch. I need a set of strings , I tried to use the old strings but I clipped them too close to the tuning pegs and I can't get them back through. Going to pick up a new set on the way home from work tonight.

4. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

Those pics scream METAL!!!

Congrats

Dick Blackmore likes this.
  5. Dick Blackmore

I liked these FAT 55 so much I ordered a set of the Maverick 5's for Strat. Stay tuned.

6. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Congrats!

What led you to the bari idea?