New player question

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by AlexJay, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Kingmarc1982

Kingmarc1982 Strat-Talker

I’m a beginner. Paid for a set up. Didn’t learn anything by that. Also a hands on and it bothered me. So I watched a lot of videos on it. I purchased and brand new strat out of the box. And guess what. After playing I realized. This thing is not set up at all. Notes were buzzing like crazy. Some making tink sounds high up Not wanting to part with it for a week to get set up and kissed that I just spent all that money and not get to keep it to get familiar with my new instrument I went to research a lot. After about 3 days of messing around with it and almost losing hope. Guess what. It’s perfect and I learned a ton from the hands on. The following is the best video by far I found and really help me get it right. I mean I tweaked everything on this guitar.

2. AlexJay

AlexJay Strat-Talk Member

As in songs? None. I’m assembling my partscaster at the moment and setting it up and then will continue to follow lessons with the World Famous JustinGuitar.

3. AlexJay

Yes, I’ve looking at a lot of YouTube. Phillip McKnight, and the stew Mac channel I return to quite a bit. I used my Google-fu but couldn’t find information that would 100% satisfy my questions so here I am. It has been positive for the most part with exception to one or two cockheads but I just tend to give back what the give me and move on.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    drp146 and 3bolt79 like this.
  4. Kingmarc1982

Yeah not sure why you got the negative feedback. I like most about the video I posted the way he talks about the floating tremelo system and to adjust that first It just made it really click for me and makes sense.

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. Kingmarc1982

And it worked

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. Kingmarc1982

72BA15FD-377D-4563-8ABD-9A0EA14C85F7.jpeg I’m using justin guitar too. Also the free fender play for 3 months but it’s kinda meh I did purchase a book which I found rather helpful. Having a background in playing piano for the past 25 years helped with the reading music part but it bothered me that I couldn’t look at a sheet of music and play a single note from it on the guitar. The tabs seemed like a unsatisfying short cut to playing melodies.

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. AlexJay

I don’t know for sure. The guy said something in reference that I didn’t need to know.

8. AlexJay

well, this is my 3rd attempt at learning to play. I’m more serious now being that I have the time, a better attitude and hopefully a better understanding. I’m not trying to build myself up as a Hendrix or someone. A general understanding and being able to play rhythm at the very least and see where that gets me.
    My brother was a violin player all thru his academic years and had been in orchestras and such, he picked guitar quite easily. After about 3 days. He played Day Tripper for me.

9. Diamond D

Diamond D Strat-Talker

Weird thread. And YES ...from orbit.

Nadnitram and Kingmarc1982 like this.
  10. Kingmarc1982

Yeah this is my 2nd attempt at the guitar. Same.more determined to stick with it this time. Good luck

Nadnitram and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. Kingmarc1982

All the threads look the same from orbit

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. Diamond D

Diamond D Strat-Talker

Nope

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. Diamond D

Diamond D Strat-Talker

From Orbit the Strats Chime. Tele's rule. And Lp's beef it up.

3bolt79 likes this.
  14. Diamond D

Diamond D Strat-Talker

Oh man stick with it. It takes a few times to git in the groove with it. We talked about Jerry Reed the other night. He knew how.

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Will it work as an air guitar
    For the time being

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

@AlexJay the reason you don’t need radius gauges to set up your Strat is because, if you set it up according to Fender spec, the two thickest strings won’t follow the radius. Fender says to put your low E string and A string about 1/64 higher than the rest of the strings at the 17 the fret. So they won’t all be equal. They are useful though for checking the radius of the board before sanding during a refret,etc. I have a set, and never use them.

drp146, AlexJay, Hydr0 and 2 others like this.
  17. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

This. :D

3bolt79 and s5tuart like this.
  18. TConnelly

TConnelly Strat-Talk Member

As a relatively new player myself I have a couple of comments I hope will be helpful. First when your teacher, or Justin Sandercoe or anyone else talks about the importance of learning to play by ear, and learning to recognise intervals learning the fretboard and all the rest of it. Pay close attention.

When I started out I really didn't have any desire to play out or jam with others or any of that. I just wanted to learn to play a few songs. I took lessons for a couple years and my teacher always taylored the lessons with an eye towards playing with others. I always had a hard time buying into it. So as a result my method of learning songs was-is limited to learning them by rote. One note at a time, one chord at a time, the fingers go here, then here and so-on. I found out the hard way that that method is notoriously unreliable.

Also when your teacher tells you not to walk your fingers on to chords. And to create the chord shape in the air and land them all at once? Listen carefully! Once a walker always a walker. Trust me on this.

Edit; Kinda forgot this was the Tech Talk sub forum. Sorry for the thread drift.

Cheers....................Todd

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    3bolt79 likes this.
  19. AlexJay

Thank you for your input. Every little bit helps.

3bolt79 likes this.
  20. Willmunny

Willmunny Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

A YouTube video could be in order as well

RobZ69 likes this.