Join Strat-Talk Today

New Player SSS vs... help me choose

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Bucklander, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Bucklander

Bucklander Strat-Talk Member

Can't decide between a new Player SSS Strat and a used MIM Lone Star Strat - and right now it's impossible to try either of them.

I was originally going to buy a new 60s Vintera - and might still do - but saving a few £££ has it's appeal right now.

I'm only an average player, no gigging and coming from a Telecaster, so it's not like I have another Strat for comparison... I'm sure I'd be happy with either.

Musical preferences: 70s rock, blues, 80s indie. NOT metal.

What would you buy and why?

Thanks. :)

EDIT: Bought a 60s Vintera - thanks for the replies.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    diogoguitar, AxemanVR and 3bolt79 like this.
  2. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

If you dont care about the vintage specs, go for the player, if u do go for the vintera.

The lone star is a bit too much for a first strat if u ask me, but I enjoy simple things... a regular SSS strat is a lot to begin with.

If I were you, id go for the vintera, but thats only based on the looks of it, and its just my preference.

Lewbypls and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Strat-O-Master

I had to make the same decision last year when I was buying my first Fender - it took me about 5 seconds of playing the Lone Star to realise I couldn't leave the shop without it. I play it nearly every day, and I'll never sell it. I also play a lot of '70s rock and blues, so I can confirm its great for those styles.

Still, I recommend you play both if you can. Just because the Lone Star is perfect for me doesn't mean it will be for you.

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

Tough choice, for sure. I'd have to go with the Player due to the two point bridge and the tuners are easily swapped to locking machines.

Caddy and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. Stonetone

Stonetone Strat-O-Master

Well For sure its Best to try them and get a general feel But i can say that I really Like my MiM Player SSS I did Put in Gen4 Noiseless PuP's cause i hate 60hz Cycle Hum and I had it Professionally Adjusted And Now its a charm for me, Even after trying Other Guitars IE: Les Paul and PRS, Ibanez i still prefer my Strat, Also Nice to mention that Its Rock solid for staying In tune, So yeah I think a MiM Player series is Good value for the Money

Blackmore Fan and 3bolt79 like this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

+1 Player SSS

60s necks will be skinny vs 50s, and if you are playing a Tele you may like chunkier necks.

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. Bucklander

Yup, but personally I'd prefer to put the new Classicgear tuners on the Player... I like vintage tuners and those new two locator-pin ones are a straight swap. I think that's about all I'd do with one, except, maybe, better shielding.

Have to say I had a standard Mexican Strat a few years ago (before I got a Tele fetish), so it's not my very first Strat... just didn't want the first post to be a life story.

Thanks for the replies.

wrvond and 3bolt79 like this.
  8. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Another vote for the Player Series....to me they are the next best thing to an American Strat....

Caddy and 3bolt79 like this.
  9. Alex44

Alex44 Strat-Talker

Player.....playa!

10. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

You might want to try a Vintera 70’s Strat. I have one and it’s very close in feel and sound to my 79. The neck seems a little more substantial than the 60’s. The pickups are great.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  11. Bucklander

Yeah, they look pretty and I'd love to try lots of guitars, but because of the bug that's not possible right now, or for the foreseeable future.

Anyway, my local guitar store has gone crazy with online offers... I'll report back when my head stops spinning!

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. Stonetone

Stonetone Strat-O-Master

Dont Bother It Dont do Nothing ..... Ive shielded Mine with a Faraday cage No Difference

13. 3bolt79

‘if your online vendor has a good return policy, you can order one without fear that you will be stuck with something that you don’t like. Out of the 5 strats I’ve ordered in the last 12 months..a SQUIER Bullet, 2 American specials, an HM Strat, and the Vintera 70’s Strat, the Vintera is the one I’d keep if I could only keep one.

14. Bucklander

Just bought a 60s Vintera, sunburst, for not much more than a Player.

Heads up for anyone in buying mode - Guitar Village (UK) is having a 'Boss Gone Mad' sale. Check it out.

Wound_Up likes this.
  15. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-Talk Member

Have you tried the classic series 60s strat? I really like the neck on that one. How close is it to the vintera 70s?

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. 3bolt79

The Vintera next is pretty much the same thickness from the first fre to the neck heel. It felt a little more substantial to me.

17. Lewbypls

Double post

18. Lewbypls

I really want to try the 70s one out since I love the big headstock and that sienna sunburst is the best finish outside of sonic blue and surf green ;)

3bolt79 likes this.
  19. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Strat-Talker

Do bother. It does help. I shielded mine (a non-Fender strat) and it killed ALL the noise.

20. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

If you still have the Telecaster, I would say SSS. If not, if the Strat will be your only instrument, and IF you still want those sharp, biting, thick bridge tones, my first suggestion is get a dual humbucker guitar, but barring that, get the HSS.

I have dual humbucker guitars and a Tele to cover that rock and roll bridge tone. The SSS Strat brings other things to the table that I can't get from those guitars, which is why I love it. If you don't already have that ground covered, though, the Strat isn't really going to get you there in stock SSS form, absent some compromise like getting an SSL-5 or a single-coil sized humbucker in the bridge.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.