New Player Stratocaster with "Beauty Marks"

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Hillebert, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

You may, want to update your original post to reflect that so people don't read it first, and reply that you need to do so & so, since you've already replaced it.

drp146 likes this.
  2. Hillebert

Hillebert Strat-Talk Member

Thanks, I‘ll fix it tomorrow…

3. davidrf

davidrf Strat-O-Master

Deciding wether you keep or not the guitar should only be based on how you feel when you play it and how much you "bonded" with it.

That said, I don't consider those conditions normal for current Fender quality control standards. That would not have surprised me 10-12 years ago, but for a brand new Player, I don't consider that acceptable.

Glad you got another one in perfect conditions.

Hillebert likes this.
  4. Hillebert

Hillebert Strat-Talk Member

Unfortunatly I cannot update/edit my start post anymore. I‘d like to thank everybody who shared thoughts with me.
    The faults of the first guitar were too severe to me. It is hard to catch this in pics. But even the pinprick little dings were very deep in the finish so that the surface was not even anymore. Soundwise it was ok but not killer. A real bummer were the blue markings, even some chips of the finish came off, not speaking of the neck pocket and the fuzzy nut. Anyway I am very happy with the exchange guitar which I recieved from Thomann in light speed!
    It really is a great guitar for every purpose and I just love the maple neck. (Never had before)
    It is really remarkable how much bang for the buck you get nowadays equipmentwise.
    In the old days it seems to me that gear like amps, guitars and recording stuff were much more expensive in relationship…
    Right now I‘m on some Bluesbreakers with Clapton stuff. Wish all of you a nice Sunday!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    drp146, Bob the builder and CB91710 like this.
  5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

didjoo know.. that's exactly what they looked like back in the late '50's and early 60's ... that's because the "paint room" was a corner of the work floor... no filtration . . . no nothing.... except junk floating around the room...

getcha a copy of Duschoirs Stratocaster book ... in it he has a photo of the paint facilities... guys it surprising anything with a tolerable finish came outta that cauldron of "floaters"..

r

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  6. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

This is one great reason to only buy used guitars. First, I think you are being too picky and secondly I can’t even see most of the stuff you are pointing out in your photos. Does it play, intonate and stay in tune? If so play it and move on.

7. beerbelly

beerbelly Strat-Talker

If you guys haven't seen this, here's a 1959 factory tour. Painting starts at 4:55.

8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

yep. back then we'd just look 'em over and pick one with the fewest freckles..

got that right.. I've never seen anyone walk up to a good guitarist after a set and say, "Dude, your playin' totally rox, but is that a speck there on your guitar.. Ewwwieee.. gross "

r

gm1cusnr and CB91710 like this.
  9. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

that 1st guitar is part b-stock and part floor model and you paid for new.

glad they treated you right with the return and your guitar is gorgeous, congrats !

drp146 and Hillebert like this.
  10. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-O-Master

If only folks would read the thread before answering:rolleyes: The OP stated that he received a replacement and is very happy now, no need to repeat that he's either out of his mind for returning it or justified in his concerns...

drp146 and Hillebert like this.
  11. stylemessiah

stylemessiah Strat-Talker

Its time again for another entry for "First World Guitar Problems", episode #1,245,802

If you got looking for issues with anything, you'll find them

Let Sherlock Holmes do the magnifying glass work, and play it

CB91710 likes this.
  12. zinger_ghretzel

zinger_ghretzel Strat-Talk Member

Love this guitar…
    Butterscotch and maple fingerboard…

Hillebert likes this.
  13. kilroy

kilroy Strat-Talker

Something I've said in similar posts... If you spend your life looking for flaws, you will never be disappointed. The question is, do you smile when you play it?

stylemessiah and CB91710 like this.
  14. BrianCamrose

BrianCamrose New Member!

Whenever you buy any new products guitars or otherwise you would expect it to look new not reconditioned. Take it back and get a new one at me look it over carefully.

Hillebert likes this.
  15. jaykeff

jaykeff New Member!

I have guitars that are decades old that look better than that. I would be very unhappy if my "brand new" guitar arrived like that, unless it was heavily discounted.

drp146 likes this.
  16. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-Talker

I'd expect even the $99 guitar to be pristine, and if it had flaws that I could live with, then we would need to discuss a new number as a discount. The leverage is that it's being RMA'ed if the new price doesn't reflect the flaws. As Fender keeps bumping prices up, when it's flawed they can drop their price too.

17. aktoshi

aktoshi Strat-Talk Member

I believe there's no problem.

18. CoastalCritter

CoastalCritter New Member!

I bought a new 2019 Player strat in buttercream last November. I went over it with a fine tooth comb, and I couldn't find a single thing to complain about. I installed Highwood saddles, Fender locking tuners, and a Tusq XL nut. It plays and sounds fantastic and is as good as any standard strat that I've ever picked up. I'm half way through building a pickguard with Fender Deluxe Drive pickups, a Freeway 10 way switch, and two TBX tone controls, one for the neck, and one for the bridge.
    You made the right choice to send it back, I would have done the same.

Hillebert and drp146 like this.
  19. MickeyPicky

MickeyPicky Strat-Talk Member

….part of why you should just spring for american made… I imagine this stuff is much more common on the under 1K guitars

20. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

I'm 2 for 2 on new mim's
    Waiting for #3 to come in
    + I got a 96 mim I'd never part with