New Player Stratocaster with "Beauty Marks"

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Hillebert, Aug 19, 2021.

1. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Senior Stratmaster

Thats straight up nonsense…. American made guitars produced in great quantities like the American standard/ professional or whatever are just as prone to this stuff. If you go custom shop or any other higher American guitar, it may be true that this stuff becomes less common, bit equaling American made with flawless or generally better than Mexican made doesn’t make sense in my opinion…. The guitar in question was likely messed with before having been purchased by Op anyway so who knows what it may have looked like when it left the factory…

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  2. MickeyPicky

MickeyPicky Strat-Talker

I obviously wouldn’t say nonsense. My performer, bought online, had not a single flaw. Most of my experience with Players comes from
    guitar center, admittedly, but they usually looked rough. So did one professional, tbf. One thing is certain - the paint jobs on players are not good compared to american made. Things like the OP pics would be more expected on Players.

3. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Senior Stratmaster

Yeah no harm intended, sorry if I came off as harsh. I guess it comes down to personal experiences we make- I’ve seen great Mexican guitars and bad American ones and vice versa, but out of ten player strats I’ve played within the last three years, I think they are pretty well made :)

Bob the builder likes this.
  4. mikhailwatt

mikhailwatt Strat-Talk Member

jazz bass.jpg
    Glad you got it worked out. That neck pocket finish wasn't acceptable unless it was heavily discounted and it played just the way you want.

My new Player Series Jazz Bass was pretty much flawless right out of the box (literally - fresh out of the store room at Guitar Center) and the deal I got made it a no-brainer. Sounds great - very pleased all around.

5. BoredAtWork82

BoredAtWork82 New Member!

So you wanted the one with the best finish/least flaws you could source?

6. Hillebert

Hillebert Strat-Talker

I want to give some update after a couple of days.
    I really love and appreciate my new buttercream beauty. The maple neck plays amazing, she´s got a lot of sustain and compared to my 90´Standard Strat with C69´s pickups in my opinion the Player pickups sound really great and I tend to say I get more belllike and singing tones out of them than the 69´ers which seem to offer more gutsy attack and some kind of Rory Gallagher "harshness".
    Strange enough regarding the low readings of the 69´ers....
    All around am really enjoying my new acquaintance. :)

Two QA issues I observed though (see pics). But I´ll keep her anyway...

Strat#3.jpg Strat#2.jpg Strat#1.jpg I

7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

In '62. such wasn't even on the radar... back then, when purchasing a guitar, the order of importance for "specifications" was,

1. Had to say Fender or Gibson on the headstock..

2. Had to be a color we liked, or was played by whomever we were into back then..

3. Had to function as a guitar.

r

CB91710 likes this.
  8. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Really glad this worked out well for you, I'd have sent it back, too. @Jimi Lightning really nailed everything to come in post #2!

Jimi Lightning likes this.
  9. DonP

DonP Strat-Talk Member

I got my new Players Series about a month ago.

I guess I should look a lot closer at it. I haven't noticed anything obvious yet.

10. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Out of the 4 or 5 the store had, of course.
    Of course, our color preference came into play as well.
    If the store only had one white one and that's what we wanted, that's what we left with.

But we didn't buy one, then return it a week later because we discovered a minor cosmetic issue.

11. Hillebert

Hillebert Strat-Talker

There was no opportunity to check before buying it and the issues weren‘t just cosmetic. The dealer itself wanted me to send it back in.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    CB91710 likes this.
  12. Surf Green

Surf Green Strat-Talk Member

I can't see much in the photos. It's unlikely you will ever receive one that's 100% perfect. Is 99.9% good enough?

13. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talker Silver Member

As usual, these threads go two ways, keep or replace. I side with Replace as it is not just some natural wood character but obvious pre sale relicing. The chipped neck joint and the glued nut bother me, almost like the neck had to be removed and repaired. This kind of thing happens when inventory is in short supply. As long as you can wait for the replacement, send it back for a new one. My MiM Tele didn't have a mark on it, every joint was super tight and smooth, that's the way they're supposed to be.

Hillebert likes this.
  14. Shoegoo

Shoegoo Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I agree. That's a beautiful guitar. Just play and enjoy. You'll have a hard time finding another as beautiful.

15. Gas4Strats

Gas4Strats Strat-Talker

If you are not happy with it send it back. Mine had a really small imperfection in the back on the neck but otherwise a good one.

16. chas3rd

chas3rd Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Reminds me of a ‘74-75 Strat I bought that was terrible and looked like Hellen Keller assembled it!!!!

17. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Return it so that I can get a discount on the "blemished" buttercream player strat. Seriously, it's my favorite color.

18. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Who was the vendor?

19. Hillebert

Hillebert Strat-Talker

Thomann, they did a great job replacing it. I got a killer one even with 90 € discount. Got the guitar for 549 €.

20. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

Absolutely not! Send it to me and I'll send a blemish free Indonesian bullet to you. Straight trade. I don't need extra money with the deal.