New Project: MIM Standard Overhaul

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Black59, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Black59

Black59 Strat-Talker

Startin' up a new project, completely overhauling my first strat. Gettin' her a fresh coat of black nitro, new pups and electronics, and some new hardware to give it an early '65 vibe.

And yes, I know it's against Strat-Talk rules to strip an aged olympic white finish lol

Stay tuned!

[​IMG]

2. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

If you like the fullerton style curves then it's also the perfect time to get the 80-320 grit sandpaper and files out too. Makes them much more comfy and nicer on the eyes IMO.

Black59 and Baelzebub like this.
  3. Black59

Black59 Strat-Talker

Big fan of the fullerton curves but after thinking about it for a couple weeks I decided against it for this project.

I couldn't agree more though, very very comfy and they just look so sleek.

4. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Here are the last two that I did. The first is an MIM that was just screaming for a little liposuction. I also like to smooth off the edges of the cuts to make them curvier.
    20210529_203919.jpg
    20210529_203934.jpg
    20210529_204025.jpg
    The green one here was a mid nineties MIC Bullet Strat with a bathtub route. It was identical to the one on the left. I just couldn't help myself on these 2.
    20210504_075702.jpg

Jmart1212 and Black59 like this.
  5. Black59

Black59 Strat-Talker

Man.. you did such a good job on both of those. That's exactly what I was thinking of doing, but I don't have your woodworking skills haha

Jmart1212 likes this.
  6. Black59

Black59 Strat-Talker

StewMac order arrived a day early! First up, installing some more "vintage-correct" conversion bushings and a Fender pure vintage string tree with a nylon spacer. Do I sound nasally with these corks shoved so far up my nostrils ;)

Re-using my Fender vintage tuners that are about 8 years old so they have the slightest hint of patina. They don't match the shiny nickel of the conversion bushings perfectly, but it was either this or the relic ones (which is no bueno for me).

Old:

[​IMG]

New:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Believer7713 likes this.
  7. Black59

Black59 Strat-Talker

Finished up the disassembly. Pretty interesting how she's darker underneath the pickguard after seeing a lot of time in the sun over the past 16 years.

Gotta fill some small holes, sand out some of the poly inside the cavities, and she's off to MJT!

[​IMG]

8. Black59

Black59 Strat-Talker

Body is out the door to MJT.

Now the hard part... waiting 10 weeks. I'll post the update photos here, in case anyone's interested in sending their own lumber to MJT.

Nothing exciting to show, just some smaller bits and pieces arrived. Pure vintage 60s kit and cap, and a StewMac unbleached bone nut.

[​IMG]

9. Black59

Black59 Strat-Talker

Might need some opinions here, I'm not sure whether to go with a white or clear undercoat for the black nitro.

I know the white was used on the original factory custom colours, but I kinda like the look of just the black and alder underneath. So I'm torn, any opinions??

I'm not getting it relic'd, but over time dings are inevitable!

white undercoat:

[​IMG]

clear undercoat (CS landau '68):

[​IMG]

10. Black59

Black59 Strat-Talker

Hope everyone's been doing well! Recently started my MBA so I've been super busy (and broke lol)

Quick update on the project, MJT sent over pics of the final product. Just need some shielding paint to cover up my mess in the cavities:

[​IMG]

wblynch likes this.