Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

New Rack Processor Day -- Avid Eleven Rack

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by TheDuck, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I can't get anything done. I just find a sound I like and I zone out for a half hour at a time. Dammit.

TheDuck and CigBurn like this.

2. Dadocaster

OK. Earlier in the week I did a bit of tracking and was happy with the fact that I can work on the sound through the monitors and then record and, shocker here, what comes out after recording is the sound I dialed in. Boyo just made a Les Claypool and after he found the sound and made up a riff, we pressed Record. This is the way to live.

Also some of the presets on the CLA stuff are pretty damned good.

TheDuck likes this.

3. Dadocaster

[​IMG]

Mr. Joe napping in the soft, warm glow of the Eleven Rack.

nhsdpl and TheDuck like this.

4. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I have the same problem. I find a tone that grabs me and when I look up, an hour or more has gone by and all Ive done is noodle in tone heaven.

5. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Wonderful, I know :thumb:

Heres a tidbit from the 11R / Pro Tools recording capabilities.

When using the 11R with Pro Tools, you don't even have to save the patch you recorded with.
    Pro Tools embeds the tone in the recorded track. No need to save the preset.

The next time you open the project, you just double click on the guitar track and Pro Tools automatically loads the preset you recorded that truck with.

Yea, Im loving the 11R / PT workflow. :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    Robins and Bladesg like this.

6. Dadocaster

[​IMG]

OK, so I kvetch all the time about being engineer guy and performer guy at the same time and how hard I find it to do. With that in mind, I got a TV cart from Wally World that is on casters and hung the eleven rack in it. That way I have easy access to front and back of it and I can roll it under my desk when not in use. Boyo and I have both used it this weekend and it's just super convenient. Get your axe, sit down, plug in, all with reach.

7. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    ^^ Very clever @Dadocaster
    You got that idea from the Cat, didnt you? ;)

8. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Hey @TheDuck,

still in love it seems, great. You can´t stop playing - even better.

All the best,
    Robin

TheDuck likes this.

9. Dadocaster

It's catching. I was discussing Eleven Rack with a guy at work that does Gospel Music in Spanish and last night, I noticed him reading the Eleven Rack manual.

TheDuck likes this.

10. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Thanks @Robins :thumb:
    My friends husband plays in a cruise ship / wedding band. They were here the other night, he plugged in and was blown away with the versatility and tone quality. Being in his 60s, he doesnt want to lug a heavy rig around anymore (who does?).
    He ordered one the next morning.
    Yea, its addictive :D

11. Dadocaster

It's been around a long time. I heard little about it until recently. Kind of odd.

12. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Agreed, it never got the kind of exposure the Boss and Line 6 stuff did. Its interesting how many people havent heard of it.

13. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    It doesn't look like an amp, or frighten the guys who paid way too much for their 1940s technology, like the Katana does, so it doesn't draw as much attention. ;)

johnnymg and TheDuck like this.

14. Dadocaster

Good point. I think it looks exactly like what it is, so it's not controversial. My cat likes it.

15. Dadocaster

Ears have been burning at Avid. After no trouble since I downloaded it, suddenly the Eleven Rack Editor stopped spawning the editor window. Cursed my way through restarts/uninstalls/reinstalls and I could see if I clicked to maximise that the window did exist....somewhere...and that the editor graphics were mostly OUTSIDE OF THE WINDOW with just a sliver of useful graphics showing. Found some info online and used task manager to get the window somewhere I could see it and then did maximise/minmise this and that and suddenly, it's back.

I was cursing the Avid Overlords and hope that I will not be punished.

TheDuck likes this.

16. Dadocaster

...and this damn box still just sounds terrific to me. Was messing around listening to presets and really liked the sound of the high gain on one, when I turned off the distortion pedal emulation it begged for heavy ass kicking funk, which lead me to a half hour of funk and trying out the wah pedals and such. The thing that got me was that even though there was little distortion, I was getting that nice sustain and the lines sounded fluid and vibrato sounded like lovely screaming. Checked the cheat sheet and it was the 1982 Marshall JCM800. Yummers.

Bladesg and TheDuck like this.

17. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Same here @Dadocaster, I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my 11R. It seems to do everything and anything I need.

I've had to remake all my presets since swapping out my N3 pups for EMGs, but its a labor of love, that one day, I may actually complete.

Bladesg and s5tuart like this.

18. Bladesg

Bladesg Senior Stratmaster

Oct 31, 2013
    Australia
    I downloaded a heap of presets and can't get anything done. Going through the names of presets that give you some sort of indication in regards to what the preset was programmed for, then I realise that I've just lost 3 hours auditioning presets and didn't actually record anything!

TheDuck likes this.

19. Dadocaster

Good to know it happens to all of us.

I did actually complete a song and it is mixed and mastered with all guitar and bass done on 11r. Sounds fine and so much easier.

TheDuck likes this.

20. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I d/led a few presets when I first got the 11R. Mainly to try to understand how it works when creating presets. Now, I start from scratch and build my own. It can be time consuming though.
    Far more than it was with Amplitube or POD Farm. But the results ..... eargasmic when I get it right. :D

If there's anything I can help you with, dont hesitate to ask. Im not expert by any means, but I know a few things about the 11R.

Hmmm, seems Soundcloud has deleted the track I uploaded in my original post. :confused:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Bladesg likes this.