new raw maple neck... now what?

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by greezy strings, Jun 9, 2021 at 9:27 PM.

1. greezy strings

greezy strings Strat-Talker

Hi all, Have a new raw maple allparts neck coming.. Just wanted to ask around to see what is 1st?

I plan on a tru-oil finish except for the face of the headstock which will have a lacquer finish.

soooooo whats the steps and in which order?

check the truss rod and get the neck straight..

I figure id go over the edges a bit to smooth or round..

drill the neck mounting holes...

tru oil then spray front of headstock or other way around?

after oiled , cleared(headstock) let dry...

then fret level and crown

waterslide (if I choose to)

put the tuners on

mount and set up geetar?

Does that sound about right?

Thanks!

2. greezy strings

Alright.. if I mess up the order I blame you guys!! Lol. Just joking.. I’ll figure it out..

Groovey likes this.
  3. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

I would do all the tweaking stuff first.

Check the relief (straightness.)
    Smooth any edges you wish.
    Dill mounting holes. They may already be drilled.
    Level and crown.

This way if you mar any surface with a file or tool you can touch up before finishing.

I like my waterslide underneath the poly/laquer. Therefore water slide then spray.
    Then true oil
    Then tuners. (Careful with the screwdriver.).

4. greezy strings

Yea that’s about what I was thinking.. only I was thinking since the oil and lacquer May need some drying time I thought I’d do that then when dry mount it and see if it needs a level and crown.. and if it does just take my time.. I’m gonna consider your order in things.. makes since.

Archtops likes this.
  5. Archtops

Archtops Strat-Talk Member

Drill the mounting holes prior to smooth sand.
    Groovey got it right with the rest. Good luck!

Groovey and greezy strings like this.
  6. greezy strings

7. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

An oil finish on a raw maple neck is not enough protection. A hard finish is required. I have a new one maple neck from Warmoth that I'm not going to use for awhile. It has a satin clear coat.

greezy strings likes this.
  8. greezy strings

I
    was under the impression that tru-oil is more like a varnish? I plan on applying multiple costs.. I also own two EBMM music man guitars .. over 20 years now.. maple with tru-oil and wax.. never a issue.. super stable.. have a CS American Classic strat with a nitro/ lacquer type finish.. that neck severely back bowed..

Archtops likes this.
  9. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Tru-Oil does dry and oxidize providing a finish but is not considered a hard finish according to Warmoth. They have a notation on their warranty that an oil finish is not sufficient for their warranty coverage. It does provide a very nice finish on my roasted maple neck that is similar to the walnut stock on a shotgun I inherited from my father (early 50 vintage).

greezy strings likes this.
  10. StratAlchemist

StratAlchemist Strat-Talker

I recently finished up two Warmoth necks, one rosewood fingerboard, one maple fingerboard. This was my order:
    1. Check the neck over- straightness, truss rod function.
    2. Tape off the board, adjust truss rod, fret level, crown, polish
    3. Warmoth is predrilled at the hill so no need. If not drilled I would have waited until step 8 below.
    4. I re-sanded everything with 1500 then 2000 to make sure back of necks and headstocks were smooth. Maple board I hit it with 2000.
    5. Blow off dust,wipe down
    6. I sprayed a tinted nitro then a few coats of clear
    7. Let dry for 14 days (more if humid) I made the water slide decals while I waited.
    8. Inserted tuner bushings, marked tuner placement keeping them in line with a straightedge. Drilled and mounted tuners.
    9. Fitted the neck to body and put on old strings to make sure string spacing was good and it wasn’t to close to the fret edges.
    10. Positioned and drilled the string tree for the G and B strings making sure correctly located and in line.
    11. Take the strings off, remove the neck, affix water slide decal and cover with a few light coats of clear nitro, just enough to help adhesion but not enough to make it look like it’s under the clear coat, ie vintage inspired.
    12. Let it dry a few days
    13. If maple neck then clean off the nitro from frets, Rosewood was taped so no need. Mount neck, string up, set string height, relief, intonation, check nut slot depth, adjust to liking.
    14. Tune and Play