Join Strat-Talk Today

New Strat - 1st string slipping off fretboard

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by JonnyBGood, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

The things you are saying are not true. It's not temporary unless someone gives your guitar a good kick. It's easy, it's safe, it's reversible and it's absolutely the number one cause of this kind of misalignment.

Ruscio, danagan, maqcatt and 6 others like this.
  2. nadzab

nadzab Peace & Love, my Brothers & Sisters... Strat-Talk Supporter

Adjusting the neck angle is neither intrusive nor temporary...at all. It is the correct way to address the OP's issue.

EDIT: Dadocaster beat me to it.

3. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

I know it's hard to do when you think you are right, but can people please try not to complicate things? A number of people on here have decades of experience building and setting up guitars, and if they say it's a simple fix then it almost always is. (Similarly if they say it's complicated, you'd better believe it.

Fender guitars are designed to be adjusted when assembled, because of variable production tolerances years ago. These days they are far more consistent, but nevertheless the same things can be tweaked by the owner with no detrimental effect whatsoever.

I've said this before on another thread a while back; I have rarely seen a strat where the strings are exactly in the centre of the saddles. This is not an issue, otherwise the saddles would have slots in. They are designed such that the string will naturally rest where it needs to.

OP, let's close this thread off - loosen the neck, pull, tighten and take a picture with the strings where you want them. And we can all move on....

Thrup'ny Bit and nadzab like this.
  4. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-Talker

The neck ‘trick’ will do just the job. I certainly wouldn’t send it back to the tech.....ever!

Apart from the neck the strings do look off in the saddles, the bridge does look to be floating very high and the pickups look from the pictures to be very high too. All simple stuff to adjust but given that these things may need doing I hope you didn’t pay him much more than the price of a pack of strings.

Thrup'ny Bit and BuffaloHound like this.
  5. Dadocaster

The saddles have moved to compensate for the neck being out of alignment. It's also possible that the guitar was bonked/jarred/thumped after being adjusted correctly. It happens.

Thrup'ny Bit and CB91710 like this.
  6. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Strat-Talker

After making the neck adjustment, (simple things FIRST!) you may want to check the intonation and adjust as necessary.

7. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

I’m bowing to the experience of the guys who recommended the self fix method, but don’t understand the basic concept. If I take my car to a competent mechanic to fix and the car comes back with an issue, I take it back and request an adjustment which the mechanic should have done in the first place. :D But I hope you’re chosen fix works out well.:p

8. Lovnmesomestrat

Lovnmesomestrat Strat-O-Master

Are you carrying the appropriate amount of air in your tires?

LMSS

nutball73 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  9. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Strat-Talker

I'd certainly hope I was if I'd just paid a garage to fit those tires.

Although I concede your point, yes I'd expect to check and adjust tire pressure myself in the future, that's still no reason for a tire fitter to send me off significantly under/over inflated.

In that case I'd fix 'em myself and not use those fitters again.....

I think in this example the consensus is that seems to be best practice also.

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  10. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

never ever ever take the advice of guys who have been setting up and playing strats for.....oh, I don't know....over 30 years. they probably have no idea what they're talking about.

11. maqcatt

maqcatt Strat-O-Master

56 years :)

12. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

I can adjust my 83 SQ 3 bolt neck without loosening the screws.

13. Dadocaster

Do not admit to that. Many posters here would flat out faint when the neck makes that noise.......... :D

14. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-Talker

S MAC,
    Just to be clear with my interpretation of your position in this thread: You’re on an interweb forum stating that an arguement is totally “WRONG” (in all capitals) without bothering to mention, address, or refute a single point I made? Guitar set-up preferences aside, is this truly how you engage in a discussion? I have a feeling you’re better than this...

Regarding said guitar setup, you cannot rationally say that I am wrong here. If you feel the adjustments I recommended are not the issue that’s fine. But even if my suggested fix changed nothing on the guitar, it would remove a potential issue from being a factor in the string alignement problem. And that is not wrong or useless. It’s troubleshooting.
    The adjustment you suggest tries to fix an issue without taking the instrument apart and seeing what it is that you are actually doing. We are both guessing here to some extent since we don’t have the instrument in our hands (and can’t see pics of the joint you want to adjust); although, my though process is to eliminate possible problems in order to find the issue. You seem to prefer to make adjustments to parts of the guitar that you cannot see (like the joint between the neck and body). Even if you are correct here, I don’t like that thought process.

15. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Over the last decade plus of this forum we’ve (those of us who’ve been around a while) have seen this issue hundreds of times. Lossining the neck screws and shifting it a bit to the left will fix it. Smac, helter, nutball and the dozens of others are correct that it will fix the issue. Then the saddles will be able to be set back straight and everything will be fine. No need to over complicate things.

maqcatt likes this.
  16. BuffaloHound

And redoing the saddle positions is all I’m suggestion before changing the neck angle. I believe the pics of the saddles appear to lean toward the low E string, but I’ll agree that’s not conclusive considering the limited angles of the OP’s pics.

I believe I have said this before, but you folks that suggest to loosen the neck screws and tweak the neck position may well be correct, And I’ll happily admit that I over analyze things. But that doesn’t make my process wrong. When I buy a new guitar I remove every screw and redo every adjustment. I understand that this could be “over
    -complicating” to some people. But it’s just way I prefer to work through issues with less guesswork.

17. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Ok how the low E is shifted to the right and how the strings do not pass properly over the fretboard dots. Every string is off to the right. Lossening the neck and shifting it left will fix all of this. We see tilted saddles all the time on here without the strings being offline going up the neck.

OP just loosen the neck screws, shift the neck left, tighten the screws and get back to playing that awesome guitar.

maqcatt likes this.
  18. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

This problem should have been solved after post #3. If it wasn't, there's no hope left for that poor guitar...

19. Dadocaster

Working from the small time consuming things, that may well introduce problems through needless adjustments, and ending with the fast easy solution that has a good chance of success is most definitely a process that I would not advocate.

Stratoskater and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  20. BuffaloHound

Ugh, I’ve got songs/solos to learn. I’m off this thread. I can’t decipher your odd questions without question marks. Nor your ignorance of the posts that preceded your own when you decide to chim into this thread.
    If nothing else I hope the OP reads this hogwash and decides to learn how to do his own set-ups. I trust no one with my guitar. And I would never let anyone hold my beer. You’re just asking for trouble in both cases...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.