New Strat question - wood grain on headstock

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by vevel1256, May 8, 2021.

1. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

P
    Perfect. My Koa acoustic slide is like that, many unique knots and lines. The top almost has a face!

2. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Silver Member

Admin Post
    It's lovely!

3. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

Well, you said “call me anal” so.....you’re anal, seek help.:D

CB91710 likes this.
  4. Multitrak

Multitrak Strat-Talk Member

The woodgrain is beautiful on the fretboard and neck, I can't even see the Birdseye, if you sent it back you'll be waiting forever and may end up with one with a serious problem or something that bothers you more.

If you take it to a luthier they may be able to help you if you can't get past it, or maybe get a huge multipack of kids crayons and find a similar colored one and rub it on the spot, if you don't like it you could wipe off, I hate stickers on guitars personally.

5. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talker

I feel so sorry for you man, I don't know how you are ever going to get to 70 when something like this knocks you off your feet. The only solution is to return it and carefully select its replacement in the store. I do hope this post is a joke as it is very sad.

aleamparo, rjbob and tptmnc like this.
  6. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

While we discuss this, we should remember that there are thousands of kids who would love to have any instrument to play at all. Or people who would like to not have their house being foreclosed, kids who are just "bugged" by cancer, or millions around the world who are "obsessed" with getting food or water.

Yes, it's a gut check, but I include myself in it too, as first on the list for the wake up call.

I forget too easily how lucky I am.:(

We here are blessed to have the time and resources to devote to creating music and/or collecting instruments, and we risk our humanity and joy when we get lost in the weeds over such minutiae. These distractions from realizing our good fortunes and obvious blessings is, in perspective, kind of silly.

So today, I will return a Cerberus effects unit that is nice, but that I don't need, and check myself on the minutiae, too. It's "stupid" ;) for me to have it. I will put my money back in my hands and do something smarter with it.

So here is my advice, my friend,

If you yourself characterize it as a "stupid" reason to return the guitar, simply reflect on your own observation and then . . . go play your BEAUTIFUL organic, unique guitar, make your music with it and occupy yourself with gratitude. :)

Your heart will feel lighter, maybe like a bright spot? ;)

Peace, beloved humans!

s5tuart, Caddy, aleamparo and 2 others like this.
  7. tptmnc

tptmnc Strat-Talk Member

Ridiculous TBS...put a smiley face sticker over it.

8. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Ich habe mir einmal eine Akustikgitarre gekauft, die eine solide Fichtendecke hatte. Es wurde von der anderen Seite der USA verschifft, und als es sich drehte, sah ich als erstes einen riesigen runden Fleck vor dem oberen Frontkampf, der die Größe eines Schillings hatte.
    Ich war so verärgert, dass ich es wieder in den Koffer legte und es wochenlang nicht wieder öffnete. Als ich es endlich aus dem Koffer nahm, konnte ich nicht einmal die Stelle sehen. Nach einer genauen Untersuchung sah ich ein Grübchen von der Größe eines Stecknadelkopfes. Der Geist ist eine formbare Sache.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  9. Multitrak

Multitrak Strat-Talk Member

I posted my reply to him above, but OCD is a very real thing and difficult to live with, I suffer from some symptoms myself, however it's such a beautiful fretboard grain I'd totally live with it, but I might feel differently if I'd just spent $1600

10. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Strat-Talker

I believe the coating on the neck should yellow over time, more so if you play smokey bars. Maybe that will make it less noticeable. But other than that... Yeah... You would either need to refinish your headstock to match the body or change the neck.

11. Glyderslead

Glyderslead Strat-Talker

IMG_0806.jpg

Just seen yourpost and thought I'd better check my headstock out......and.....yikes, oh no, its absolutely smothered in those birds eye thingumy bobs. its even spreading down the fretboard........ is this some sort of a new pandemic???!!!??? is their a cure???!!!???

12. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

Smoky bars are a thing of the past, thankfully. May they never return! If people want to inhale smoke they can do it where nobody else has to.

It took a whole generation to get rid of smoky bars & my God the smokers fought hard against it!.

13. MoHump

MoHump Strat-Talk Member

Usually, with things of this nature (doesn't affect playing, handling, sound), it will turn out that anything you do to fix it will make matters worse. Got a chip? Use a little matching paint and touch it up. Now it blatantly stands out worse than before. Your choice, live with it, or take it back. To late to take it back, than sellf it to someone else. and let them stress over it.

14. Imtxn

Imtxn Strat-Talk Member

my friend drove a new mustang out of the lot, unfolded his caseknife and stuck it in the dash, It boggled my mind & I had to ask WTF when I saw the knife still stuck there a couple weeks later (frick! guys I waited long as I could)

he mentioned, “that he was putting the first ding in the D}!€n car, not some fool in a parking lot”

Takes all kinds

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Wayne Adams likes this.
  15. Shoegoo

Shoegoo Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Relax and enjoy your new Strat.

16. Bill

Bill Strat-Talk Member

Get an emotional support flea and train him to sit on that spot.

CB91710, Wayne Adams and Archtops like this.
  17. Winkyguitar

Winkyguitar New Member!

Oh god, please cut the e-string to length. That's sending me over the edge.

18. Archtops

Archtops Strat-Talker

Sand the finish in that spot only and then do a amber drop fill with super glue. Tape a razor blade off on both sides leaving a sharp section in the middle and carefully scrape the dome of the drop fill then wet sand with polishing sandpaper.
    The above is for your head but leave the guitar neck alone. Best of luck!

Wayne Adams likes this.
  19. Maplelover

Maplelover Strat-Talk Member

eyeball.gif
    Eye eye skipper

Ebidis likes this.
  20. Strangher11

Strangher11 Strat-Talk Member

No worries bro, one good hard smack on the mic stand will take care of that little issue .... :)

Archtops likes this.