New Strat with problems

Dana Rudd

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 7, 2020
Greybull, WY
So in March Musicians Friend had a sale on Limited Edition Player Strats and Teles. I thought about it for approximately two weeks and ordered a Blueburst Strat and a case for it also. When I saw the case had been shipped but not the guitar, I knew there was going to be a problem.
The case arrived in great shape. The guitar showed up later. It was in a Coffin Case box, with a thin wrap of bubble wrap as the only protection. Luckily no shipping damage. However as I unwrapped the guitar it was filthy, greasy prints, scratches in the finish and black filled scratches on the fingerboard.
I've had a very bad year of medical problems and had to go back in the hospital before I could deal with M/F. I finally was able to do a chat with a customer service rep, not very good English or comprehension of the complaint and why I wanted a new guitar as I had ordered rather than the demo or used guitar I received. Once she figured out what I was talking about she said they would send a new guitar, but I had to pay for it first. I finally agreed with all their terms so I could receive my new guitar.
Finally arrived Tuesday in a rather poor outer box, the guitar however was in the original unopened Fender box. A very nice Strat was inside and in perfect shape other than some fret sprout. Nice guitar, I'll keep it. Photos are the replacement Strat.

nADFEeV.jpg

bKYJ5DG.jpg

3C35ntE.jpg

Just reflections on the body, poor lighting and camera work on my part.
Need to add strap locks, fix the fret sprout and change the strings.
This is currently my practice guitar, while I'm waiting on the Gretsch G6120TGDS guitars to make a landing in America.

BuffaloHound

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 25, 2018
S
Nice.
I only buy online from Sweetwater because they put customer service first. They understand that we are all gear junkies, and the value of “making it right” so that we buy from them again. That said glad MF took care of you.

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
I love the color…HNGD!

Did they send you a shipping label for the other one?

I recently ordered an MXR Fat Sugar overdrive from MF’s Stupid Deal of the Day. They sent one from a Guitar Center Store. I wasn’t really too happy about that. But it had the original box, manual, etc. But I saved 40 or 50 bucks (I don’t remember how much it was, but it was a little more than 70 bucks.)

It still had the sleeve on the battery plug when I opened the pedal, so I guess they are just fulfilling orders from store stock.

It really sucks when you order something that is supposed to be new and they send you a demo or used customer returns.

Every person reading this should take this as a warning, when. Dealing with MF or GC.

nickmsmith

Dr. Stratster
Jul 28, 2011
USA
I love the color…HNGD!

I recently ordered an MXR Fat Sugar overdrive from MF’s Stupid Deal of the Day. They sent one from a Guitar Center Store. I wasn’t really too happy about that. But it had the original box, manual, etc. But I saved 40 or 50 bucks (I don’t remember how much it was, but it was a little more than 70 bucks.)

It still had the sleeve on the battery plug when I opened the pedal, so I guess they are just fulfilling orders from store stock.

It really sucks when you order something that is supposed to be new and they send you a demo or used customer returns.

Every person reading this should take this as a warning, when. Dealing with MF or GC.
Yep. “New” is a flexible term with them.
Luckily I’ve had great luck with them, and their return policy is great and is as hassle free, as can be. But it would be nice if all of their new instruments were actually new.

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
Congrats!

Sometimes Musician's Friend fulfills orders from Guitar Center stores; sounds like the first one you got was fulfilled that way, while the second one came from the warehouse.

Wrighty

Dr. Stratster
Mar 7, 2013
Harlow, Essex, UK
The ‘rules’ have changed. Back in the late ‘70’s I worked for Husqvarna, the sewing machine division. They signed a deal to sell through several of the UK mail order catalogue companies.
We, Husqvarna, were responsible for despatching the machine to the customer direct from our stock. If a customer returned it for whatever reason, it came directly to us. We were them responsible for giving it a full set up and re-stocking it as ‘B’ grade, even if it was flawless. Gratton, Empire Stores or whoever listed every serial number despatched and would snag any that we sent out a second time.
Had three of exactly the same model, unopened, back from one woman. When she ordered a fourth we contacted the catalogue outfit to advise them. They spoke to the lady who explained that she was a medium and had been ‘told’ that the first three machines were faulty and no good would come of her using them. She accepted the fourth with no quibbles, even wrote a glowing review.

uncle daddy

Strat-O-Master
May 16, 2020
UK
The ‘rules’ have changed. Back in the late ‘70’s I worked for Husqvarna, the sewing machine division. They signed a deal to sell through several of the UK mail order catalogue companies.
We, Husqvarna, were responsible for despatching the machine to the customer direct from our stock. If a customer returned it for whatever reason, it came directly to us. We were them responsible for giving it a full set up and re-stocking it as ‘B’ grade, even if it was flawless. Gratton, Empire Stores or whoever listed every serial number despatched and would snag any that we sent out a second time.
Had three of exactly the same model, unopened, back from one woman. When she ordered a fourth we contacted the catalogue outfit to advise them. They spoke to the lady who explained that she was a medium and had been ‘told’ that the first three machines were faulty and no good would come of her using them. She accepted the fourth with no quibbles, even wrote a glowing review.

Most mediums I've met turned out to be extra large.

Dana Rudd

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 7, 2020
Greybull, WY
Yes they did send a return label and a tracking number for it also.

Since this was a limited edition I was forced to use M/F to get the color.

In January I ordered a used 4x12 Marshal 1960a speaker cab from G/C. They had several so I ordered the one closest to me, thinking less chance of damage. I ended up in the hospital at the time it arrived. The wife came to visit me and told me it was destroyed in shipping, she handled the return on that with no problem from G/C. They do stand behind their products but you never know what you'll find in the box. When possible I order elsewhere.

Bobby Mac

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 31, 2022
Texas Panhandle
I've experienced the same problem whereby I've ordered new from MF but received a wallhanger from GC. Returned, of course, on their dime. Ever since, I never order online from MF, I call my MF gear advisor and verify that whatever I want to order is a brand new item in the factory sealed carton from the MF warehouse in Lenexa, KS. This has worked every time.

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
I've experienced the same problem whereby I've ordered new from MF but received a wallhanger from GC. Returned, of course, on their dime. Ever since, I never order online from MF, I call my MF gear advisor and verify that whatever I want to order is a brand new item in the factory sealed carton from the MF warehouse in Lenexa, KS. This has worked every time.

Agreed; you can do that with orders from GC as well - I won't order from GC unless it's coming from the warehouse.

Also they've never merged their warehouses and the GC warehouse is also in the KC area - but over in North Kansas City instead of Lenexa. I've had GC orders fulfilled from both warehouses - most recently I ordered a Fender case for my American Performer Tele through GC (using up a bunch of GC rewards certificates) but it came from the MF warehouse this time.