New Territory for Me…Gretsch NGD

unionjack515

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 3, 2011
Batavia, Illinois
George Harrison…one of my all-time favorites. Perhaps his most iconic guitar (or at least 1A and 1B with the rosewood Tele) is the Gretsch Duo Jet. I’ve wanted one for a long time. I’ve kept my eyes peeled…lots of them on the market of course. There’s those crazy expensive limited run ones at about $15k or so…not THAT into George…ha. Lots of the more “standard” regular run Harrison signature model ones at around $3k…but kinda basic for that money and not built in the US. And the ones I see are kinda odd (sparkle…ok on the right guitar but it just doesn’t work for me on this) or boring (black, white, red, etc etc) colors.

BUT today I found one that stood out for all the right reasons. So now it is mine. Black limba top, mahogany body…all in a nice shade of transparent brown. Duncan-made Dynasonic pickups. A wonderful “retro” vibe, even for a Gretsch—with the plain block inlays and old-school script headstock logo. Tortoise binding. And the cool Gretsch-branded Bigsby. Plus, the big plus, it’s a master built one out of their Custom Shop here in the US…receiving rave reviews for their recent work.

Here are a couple pics (screenshots from my phone for now):

1653781711767.png
1653781741098.png

Mr Swisher

Strat-Talker
Nov 28, 2019
United Kingdom
Well...I know a thing or two about Gretsch guitars, and that's a new one on me. Is it a Stephen Stern built CS?

Either way, Jets are the BEST Gretsch guitars and that is hot damn beautiful.

Enjoy it.

unionjack515

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 3, 2011
Batavia, Illinois
Well...I know a thing or two about Gretsch guitars, and that's a new one on me. Is it a Stephen Stern built CS?

Either way, Jets are the BEST Gretsch guitars and that is hot damn beautiful.

Enjoy it.
Yes sir. Has his actual signature on the back of the headstock and all. Pretty nifty.

Thanks for the compliments and I honestly wouldn’t have ever purchased a different model of Gretsch…despite some of those full hollows being really killer. I’m more of a small body fan. Even the “335” I have has shrunken dimensions. The Duo Jet just suits me!

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
HNGD

P.S.
Don't knock the non US Gretsch guitars. They are really nice, and very well made.

Bowmap

100 seconds to midnight
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 23, 2017
Third Door Down
The black limba is really gorgeous. I had received my first Gretsch about a month ago. A 5420T. Not in the range of what you are adding to your collection but still, quite a different sound. You will enjoy it immensely. It is a different animal. and Oh... HNGD.

Alex_C

Strat-Talker
Apr 19, 2021
Florida
George Harrison…one of my all-time favorites. Perhaps his most iconic guitar (or at least 1A and 1B with the rosewood Tele) is the Gretsch Duo Jet. I’ve wanted one for a long time. I’ve kept my eyes peeled…lots of them on the market of course. There’s those crazy expensive limited run ones at about $15k or so…not THAT into George…ha. Lots of the more “standard” regular run Harrison signature model ones at around $3k…but kinda basic for that money and not built in the US. And the ones I see are kinda odd (sparkle…ok on the right guitar but it just doesn’t work for me on this) or boring (black, white, red, etc etc) colors.

BUT today I found one that stood out for all the right reasons. So now it is mine. Black limba top, mahogany body…all in a nice shade of transparent brown. Duncan-made Dynasonic pickups. A wonderful “retro” vibe, even for a Gretsch—with the plain block inlays and old-school script headstock logo. Tortoise binding. And the cool Gretsch-branded Bigsby. Plus, the big plus, it’s a master built one out of their Custom Shop here in the US…receiving rave reviews for their recent work.

Here are a couple pics (screenshots from my phone for now):

View attachment 565837
View attachment 565839
That is gorgeous!