New to Fender

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bijou Drains, Jul 30, 2020 at 10:40 AM.

1. Bijou Drains

Bijou Drains New Member!

Hello,

New member here and new to Fender guitars.

I’ve been playing since the the mid-late 70’s but, aside from my first guitar (Sears Strat copy) given to me by a friend, always a Gibson player.

Love the Strat “quack” and have tried playing a Strat before, but my right hand positioning (I’ve been described as a “bridge Palmer”) doesn’t get along with how Fenders are strung closer to the body than Gibbys and the proximity of my hand to the volume knob constantly causes the volume to change. In a nutshell, I’ve acquired / developed a right hand technique seemingly not conducive to Fender-style guitars. However, it works very well with Gibson guitars.

Acquired an SSS American Ultra Strat in Texas Tea a couple of weeks ago and decided I was going (re)learn how to play using a new-to-me right hand technique / positioning. Thus far, at times, it feels as though I had never played a guitar before. My left and right hands seem pretty out of sync. It is, however, interesting and fun and decided to join this forum in the hope of learning new things Fender.

JJ119 and tery like this.
  2. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Deeply SHY. Strat-Talk Supporter

3. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to Strat-Talk :)

4. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Some strat players push one of the tone pots into the cavity or convert to master tone and then move the volume to the first tone pot hole. plug the volume pot hole with a panel closeout or a short carriage bolt. Then they don't hit the volume anymore.

While Hendrix played a righty lefty, if you see old videos he picks and strums all over where that knob is normally mounted. That's how he got a lot more tones. So make the guitar play to you not try to force anything.

JJ119 likes this.
  5. Caddy

Caddy Strat-Talker

Sounds very much like Tele should have been your first Fender. Would required much less change of hand position.

Willmunny likes this.
  6. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

Welcome
    Enjoy the show

7. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Strat-Talker

Welcome to the forum. I'm like you played Gibsons for years. Took a little to get used to the Fenders. You'll soon be having no problems at all. Enjoy.

8. JJ119

JJ119 Strat-Talk Member

Welcome to Strat Talk.

Are you keeping the same playing position on both Gibson and Strat?

9. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Strat-Talker

When I first dislocated my finger tips, the volume knob caused me pain. I just drilled another hole in the scratch plate 2/3 inch lower, for the knob. Did the trick.
    But yeah, I was slowly turning the volume down.
    I have an un-modded scratch plate now, it's something you can get used to in time.

Oh, and welcome.

Attached Files:

10. Hydr0

Hydr0 Strat-O-Master

switching around the pots on an ultra could be a little tricky with the wiring on it. I'd say play it for a while the way it is and see if you can adjust before you make any changes to the wiring on the guitar. It might not feel so bad after a couple months.

Also, you might be able to remove the volume knob and put a piece of foam around the shaft, then reinstall. That might give it a little more resistance to turn and it's relatively easy to do.

Welcome to the forum!

11. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Hey, Welcome to to forums and congrats on repenting of your sins of playing Gibsons! :D

FYI, bridge palming is not always a terrible thing, It is just sub optimal if you train your brain to always go there, thus it sometimes sets you up for failure in the sense that your wrist position may be at odds with what you need to play next.

Also, if you are using a float in the trem, you can easily knock it out of pitch if you rest too hard.

lastly, palm resting is not very comfortable when you do have to rest your palm for "dimming". as opposed to actual muting, dimming requires you to pluck the string while your palm rests on the saddles so it barley covers the strings, thus achieving some tone from them. The result is similar to a false harmonic, but by definition is not the same.

You can overcome all of these issues by decking the trem and using block saddles to alleviate your palm rubbing against the set screw.

If you want to get away from resting your hand on the bridge instead, a useful technique is to use the outside of your pinkie to "ride" the volume knob. This gives you a lot more quick control of volume and makes it almost impossible to palm the bridge.

12. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Strat-Talker

Welcome. You will never play in tune again. But it's only rock'n'roll.

13. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to the party!