New to the Strat world - first Strat coming (Highway One content)

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Red Leader, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Red Leader

Red Leader New Member!

Hello all!

I'm a pretty dyed in the wool Gibson guy, but lately a co-worker and I have been having a great time talking shop and guitars. He's a Fender guy, I'm a Gibson guy. We've been trading songs, ideas, etc, and I told him 'You gotta get a Les Paul!' (he has had no exposure to LPs at all). So, he found a great deal on a LP Tribute (basically brand new) and so he told me 'Now its your turn'.

I wanted to stay American. I'm coming from a place of knowing very little about Strats. I'm also left-handed, so running the racks at the local Music-go-Round is instructive, but limited.

I found the sweet spot w/ the Highway One guitars - made in USA, nitro finished body, good neck contour, basic alder/maple strat combo, decent price, etc.

I stumbled across an ad one night - across the country from me, but not too far from my retired parent's house. I asked my father if he was up for a guitar safari. He very kindly obliged.

This is what we ended up with:

HW1Strat7.jpg

Says in plays real nice and has great sustain. The jumbo frets will feel more at home coming from the Gibson world.

Not sure what to expect from a Strat, but excited to try dabble on the dark side :thumb:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    fattboyzz, dbb541, fos1 and 17 others like this.
  2. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Congrats. I like Highway Ones. :thumb:

3. train

train Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Highly sought after, yours is a great example . Thanks and welcome to strat nerddom.

4. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Strat-Talker

I’d hit that if it wasn’t backwards!

:)

Highway one’s are killer. No micro tilt other than that all there. That’s a beaut, lifetime keeper!

5. Red Leader

Red Leader New Member!

It was bound to happen eventually. He's been planting seeds and breaking me down. Right now I'm babysitting his shell pink Pawnshop Offset Special...

FenderOffset.JPG

6. Red Leader

Red Leader New Member!

When he found his Les Paul (great deal btw), I went and picked it up for him and set it up.

Dunno if it's sacrilege lol, but here is the other side of the equation, his on top after picking it up and mine on bottom -

IMG_1958.jpg

The nice this is that both of us are hitting about the same pricepoint w/ the challenge, so its going to be fun to get together and jam, me with the Fender and him w/ the Gibson.

fattboyzz and Higgins1980 like this.
  7. Red Leader

Red Leader New Member!

By micro-tilt, are you referring to a trem break angle or some such? It would be good to know exactly what these type II Highway One guitars came with to know if there is a good upgrade path to go down. I'm very much not opposed to tinkering! I also dislike cheapie/import bits on an otherwise nice American guitar, so let me know what a good Fender guy's 'must do' list for a bare/good bones Strat like this looks like!

8. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Strat-Talker

Micro tilt is a Fender feature offered since the 70’s on their standard Strat and Tele models. A Allen wrench can be inserted into a tiny hole in the neck plate to change the neck angle for setting action. You can do the same thing with neck shims. No big deal. You’ve got a great Strat right there I’d be proud to own and gig. Congrats!

9. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Strat-Talker

https://www.fender.com/articles/tech-talk/how-micro-tilt-majorly-affects-your-action

It really was kind of silly for me to have mentioned it at all. Micro tilt I believe was one of Leo Fender personal engineering designs so it’s going to always be around. It’s always been a controversial topic amongst cork sniffers. I use it if it’s there but I have no fear of pulling a neck to pop in a shim to set close action without saddle screws cutting me up. So above is for info only!

10. Siameser

Siameser Strat-Talker

Hope you manage to bond with it. There's a reason so many people like them.

If you find it's not coming up to your expectations, stick a Boss GE7 eq in front of it. Dial off a smidge of the high end sliders, and add just a small smidge to the bottom two sliders, and push the gain on the GE7 past the halfway mark. That'll make it bark, but still retain is stratty goodness.

Run the GE7 into your favorite overdrive, and jump back.

hrstrat57 likes this.
  11. Connecticut

Connecticut Strat-O-Master

Oh sweet!! Love the large headstock especially!!
    Best of luck with your new 6 string!

Stratafied likes this.
  12. Stratafied

Stratafied Dr. Stratster

You’ll love it, neck pickup for a throaty blues rock sound, position 2 for that glassy Strat sound. Contoured to fit your body like a glove, nice light weight won’t feel like you have a Buick in your lap.

jtoomuch likes this.
  13. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I see you are ambidextrous

14. Straticus

Straticus Strat-Talker

My first Strat was a US made Highway One. It was wonderful. Never should have sold it, etc.

15. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Dang that's cool. Quite the mashup.

Fenders do look different without pickguards. Like when I take my dog's collar off.

16. hwy1strat

hwy1strat Strat-O-Master

Be very careful…..Highway One Strats are very addictive.
    I started out with just one.
    It didn’t end there!
    The nitro bodies, big frets and headstocks grew on me at an alarming rate.

So much so that I HAD to have just about every color of the series. And here they are!!

The only two I’m missing are the Teal Green and Sapphire Blue. They’ll come soon!
    EB5DFE32-F754-4E7D-8DEE-23C015065404.jpeg

17. buzzword

buzzword Strat-Talker Silver Member

If he bought it recently, it may have been mine :D

I had a LP, and after playing a partcaster Strat - put together on a whim last year, an act of pandemic boredom - I liked it so much I built a partscaster Tele which also turned out great and was a blast to play. I realized after a few months that I would never play the LP again. I recently sold it, a mint 2017 LP Tribute and used the proceeds to buy another Strat. I now own the partscaster Strat and Tele, plus 2 Fender Strats and a Fender Tele.

Previously all I had was the 1 LP. I'm just sayin' :whistling:

If I had to articulate it, a LP is a LP, but a Fender can be whatever you want it to be.
    At least that's what I felt.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    fattboyzz likes this.
  18. Red Leader

Red Leader New Member!

Wow! That is an awesome collection!

I wonder how many colors they made in left-handed. Do you happen to know? When I was searching for more information on this series, I think I did see a really nice green-colored strat. I thought that one would be awesome to have in left handed.

BTW, how are the necks on these? The 'modern C' type neck, from what Wildwood lists as the specs on these, is more of a thinner rounded neck, mainly around .82 or so at the first fret. I'm a big fan of slightly larger necks.

How are the necks on these?

19. Red Leader

Red Leader New Member!

The one we picked up was a 2020 or 2021...previous owner only had it about 6 months and it was totally mint - not a single scratch or mark anywhere. The older gentleman we got it from was a riot. He couldn't play anymore due to arthritis, but told me playing guitar is awesome because the chicks love it :D

fattboyzz likes this.
  20. hwy1strat

hwy1strat Strat-O-Master

The necks are great!
    9.5 radius and ( as you know ) BIG frets!
    What’s not to love?!?