New tuners or not

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by brett84, May 20, 2020.

1. NeverPracticing

NeverPracticing Strat-Talk Member

There is nuance here. Locking tuners make a big difference in how long the tune lasts (very), especially since I float all of my trems. It's also easier to change strings. Is the difference enough that I need locking tuners? No... I have 2 Deluxe strats with locks and 2 American std strats with standard Fender tuners. I prefer the locks, and definitely notice an improvement, but not enough that I feel obligated to install them on every guitar.

Similar thing with the difference between the Fender [Ping] locking tuners and high end locking tuners. The difference is definitely noticeable, but everybody has their own sense of the value of $100.

Biddlin likes this.
  2. Old Guy

Old Guy Strat-Talker

Collectors generally like "original", especially Martin guitar collectors. I made some changes to a Mosrite I later sold but shipped it to the buyer with the original parts in the accessory box of the case.

Biddlin likes this.
  3. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

I'm cheap and have never swapped out working tuners except to change to lighter tuners on a couple of neck diving SGs. I do have a Les Paul Tribute with Grover lockers and I love 'em.

Old Guy and NeverPracticing like this.
  4. espyhop

espyhop Strat-Talk Member

One major exception: Collectors seem to prefer guitars upgraded with Waverly tuners over the stock Grovers.

5. myredstrat

myredstrat Strat-O-Master

why do you want to change them? tuning issues, or bored?
    if it is tuning the problem probably lies elsewhere, if your bored well..........
    I put locking tuners on the prs se i had, only change was the neck was heavier, the guitar was still a POS