New, unwanted 180 rpm/cycle(?) tapping noise

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Wound_Up, Feb 21, 2021 at 7:48 PM.

1. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Senior Stratmaster

I've got a new noise coming through both of my amps in the last week. It's a repetitive tapping-type noise, for lack of a better description. It's a repetitive 'tat-tat-tat-tat' at pretty much exactly 180 rpm. On a 30 second timer, I counted 91 "tats" lol.

There's no ceiling fan going so that's out of the question. I haven't started shutting off circuits in the house to see if it stops, yet. Probably won't get to attempting to diagnose it until tomorrow. I just thought I'd post up in case somebody might have seen this before or something similar.

Any ideas? Anybody had something like this happen? Thanks.

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

I've had a flanger pedal that when not powered adequately would create a cycling/clock sound even when the pedal was off. Might be an area to look at if you have modulation pedals in the chain.

ukoldgit likes this.
  3. Wound_Up

Since pedals and power supply were the simplest things to check, I went ahead and unplugged the power supply from the surge protector and the noise stopped! So did a bunch of buzz I didn't realize I was getting.

I tried a few other things first. Plugged one amp into a different outlet on another wall and had no noise there. So I tried the 2nd amp and it was clear, too. Next, I plugged back into the outlet I was using originally, except no surge protector. Straight into the wall outlet and it was quiet, also.

Then I tried the amp only, no, power supply in the surge protector and it was quiet. I plugged the power supply straight into the wall outlet instead of the surge protector and it's quiet that way, too. I didn't try plugging the power supply back into the surge protector to see if the noise came back, though. It'd be pretty weird if it didn't lol.

I probably should've spent a couple of minutes doing that before I posted but I guess it's too late now. Maybe this will help someone in the future that has a similar problem. Anyway. It's fixed and I'm happy!

I had the amp and pedal power supply plugged into the surge protector and that's it. Nothing else in the 2nd outlet at the wall, either. I'm no electrical engineer so I haven't got a clue why it would be noisy plugged into the surge protector but not the wall directly. I don't remember it making that noise when I got it and no other time until the last week or two. I really have no idea.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021 at 8:54 PM
    CigBurn and 3bolt79 like this.
  4. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

How old is that surge protector ? Is it like an old power strip that might be wearing down ?

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-Talker

I have a Furman power conditioner outlet strip. It filters RFI and EMI, plus it's a surge protector. It has a nice long cord, too.

If you need a power strip, I recommend this.

6. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

varistor ... little suckers in surge protectors that often look like ceramic capacitors that do the protecting. maybe it's just old and tired, or maybe with all the excitement the grid has been seeing this past week...?

Hal Nico likes this.
  7. Wound_Up

Brand new. Maybe 3 weeks old. Dunno what it was but it's better now.

I just, noticed this got posted in 'Non-Fender S-type'. Not sure how that happened. I swear I clicked the amp subforum when I went to post this.