New US made 6L6's, by RCH Labs

ivan H

Strat-Talker
Jul 29, 2016
Australia
Hi, I've read a little about these new US made 6L6's, made just outside of Carson City, Nevada by RCH Labs. A standard 6l6 ($85) & a big bottle 6L6 ($125), which is pretty pricey, though the word is that they rival NOS tubes. Supposedly using lazer cutting rather than dies & a lot of "hand" construction. Also supposedly more types in the works including 12_ _7 types. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with or knowledge of. (also wondering how they could rival NOS valves without using the EPA banned radioactive cathode coatings etc etc etc). I hope they succeed anyway, it would be good to see some quality US made tubes being made again. Cheers

Robins

Dr. von Loudster
Dec 22, 2010
Germany
I really like the idea of new produced tubes made in the US of America.
I read about that but to be honest for that kind of money it is not that difficult to make tubes for anybody.
Do they rival NOS tubes? even if - you can buy NOS tubes with no problems for that kind of money.
Hope they can and will lower the prices while producing bigger batches of tubes.
Their homepage is promising.
http://www.rchlabs.com/

It seems they are more into the HiFi market - I guess they are not going to reduce the pricing in the future (next coming years).

All the best,
Robin

Stevem

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 3, 2014
NY
I am interested to hear them and find out if there plate and cathode material is good.
some years ago Grovetubes bought Rich's original GE tooling that they where using to make 6l6GC tubes , and now they are making them in China with some parts supplyed from here.
I have played a number of them and they all sound pretty darn good, but some sound dam great!

Robins

Dr. von Loudster
Dec 22, 2010
Germany
By the way JJ has one original machine from Telefunken. They make the JJECC83S using that machine.
I think @Stevem made a good point regarding the plate and cathode material and esp. the isolation for the heater.
Quality of those parts is the main factor in making good and reliable tubes.
Hopefully there are more things to find out on the INet.

All the best,
Robin

ivan H

Strat-Talker
Jul 29, 2016
Australia
Right you are guys, regarding plate & cathode materials & especially heater to cathode isolation. One reason we cant get a decent new production GZ34 rectifier tube. The old Mullard cathodes were thicker at the point that they tied to the heaters & heater to cathode isolation was critical, specially developed for the GZ34. Another problem with Russian & Chines tubes is contaminants finding their way into the tubes during manufacturing. I really do hope RCH Labs succeed & expand their range to include other power tubes as well as pre amp tubes. Hopefully they'll realize there is a much greater market supplying tubes for instrument amplifiers than there is for the audiophool market. Even if prices don't come down, if they could supply 10,000 hour tubes it would be worth the price. Cheers

ivan H

Strat-Talker
Jul 29, 2016
Australia
I'm unaware of how long they've been in the pipeline, but the two 6L6 types are, according to their site, available now, at the prices mentioned, hence my asking if anyone had experience with. The only amp I have that will take a 6L6 is a single ended job (champ type build that'll accommodate various power tubes), I might give them a yell, see if I can get one of the small bottle types to try. I'm with Mr Lumbergh, quality US made tubes, yes please. Cheers

mabley123

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 21, 2010
kentucky
They aint available, and its been beaten to death at TGP.

People have sent money, and they sent the money back, after a Long wait.

Robins

Dr. von Loudster
Dec 22, 2010
Germany
Yes, bad news but hopefully there are still people in the USA who know how to make great tubes.
USA/Germany/UK/Dutch dropped out of the market decades ago and China came in just Russia was there and still is. JJ was a great thing when they entered the market back in 1993.
There are stlll some very small makers of tubes worldwide but you have to make tubes in big batches just because you have to toss most of them anyway to keep the working good ones.

All the best,
Robin