New Yamaha THR10: Hum Issue

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by nadzab, Feb 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

So I have a brand new Yamaha THR10 that sounds great, but I've found that it's quite noisy with single coils. It's nice and quiet with humbuckers, but when I plug in a Strat or Tele, there's a fairly prominent buzzing.

It sounds like typical single coil hum, but there are two weird aspects to it: the on-board noise gate has little to no effect on it, and when I touch the strings, the hum does not lessen at all, like it should, and like it does with all my other amps.

The hum is the same whether I'm using the batteries or the AC adapter, so it's not a mains issue. Any thoughts, THR owners, or anyone else?

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

Do you have another amp you could plug into to do a side-by-side?

3. OLDGREYGIT

OLDGREYGIT Senior Stratmaster

Mine's dead quiet with single coils. Even my most horrible bodge plank is quiet up until 'flat out'.
    Have you tried a different cable? Just a thought.

4. nadzab

Yep - I chose my Mustang Mini because I figured two small practice amps would get me closest to an apples-to-apples comparison (and I always felt the Mini was a bit noisy). The hum was about the same, maybe a hair louder on the THR, and what struck me the most was that there was no reduction in hum when I touched the strings on the THR, but there was on the Mini - and I know there is on my full-size amps as well.

5. nadzab

Wow, it's dead quiet with singles? I must have a bad unit. I did try a couple different cables, no difference.

6. AllroyPA

AllroyPA LeftyStrategist

Other things that could contribute to noise is fluorescent lighting, computer towers, the whole circuit you are plugged into, TVs, etc.... Take the thing to the other end of the house and see if it is the same

7. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

If I have my fan running on the same outlet, mine hums a lot. Turn the fan off, no hum.

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

If you still get the noise on the mustang, the problem isn't the amp. Are you sure the string ground is properly connected and working?

9. Strats4me

Strats4me Senior Stratmaster

there was an issue on the original run where a couple of wires inside got too close and would cause hum.... some guys opened it up and tie wrapped them apart...not sure why the humbuckers dont hum the same way... google the thr and hum issues and im am sure u will find all the threads you need...mine has no issues... did u buy from a reputable dealer that has the newer run of amps?..stay with it and get a replacement... try not to get frustrated...

eric

10. nadzab

I am sure - note that I said that with the Mini, when I touch the strings, the hum is reduced...normal single-coil behavior. What's odd about the THR is that the hum is constant whether I'm touching the strings or not. I've checked two Strats and a Tele and they all behave the same way. And, the THR's noise gate seems to have little or no effect.

11. nadzab

I saw a bunch of posts about those issues, and they all seemed to describe a high-pitched whine that was constant - I'm not getting that, it's more typical single coil hum, but it's seems a bit more pronounced than it should be; and like you point out, if it were that known wiring flaw, it seems like it would be present with buckers as well.

I bought it from Amazon, and the box indicates that it's the V2 Modified Edition, so it looks like it's from a newer run - returns are easy with Amazon, so I'm just going to ship it back and try a new one...I definitely want to stick with it.

12. Strats4me

Strats4me Senior Stratmaster

if it came from that Geartree vendor i would beware...they had problems .... i went with sweetwater.... excellent service always....

13. fujairahman

fujairahman New Member!

My THR10 had a hum that I fixed by grounding the unit.
    The hum went away when I used batteries instead of the mains power adaptor.
    Also, the hum went away when I used a grounded (three-pin) plug for the power supply cable.
    I also have a two-pin plug (so not grounded), but if I used that, the hum comes back.