Newbie ALSO with my first strat "Kit"

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by HamClaw, Jul 21, 2020.

1. HamClaw

HamClaw New Member!

Hi-

My name is Bill and I'm glad to be here! I'm an over-the-hill bad guitarist and retired systems administrator who was NEVER a very good musician. I was in
    one of those crappy high school bands in the late 60s/early 70s which typically broke up and went our separate ways. At college, my SG ( $275 brand new at Sam Ash in the early 70s !!!! ) collected dust
    and am still kicking myself for selling it. Now, 4 decades later, I'm trying to keep my knuckles oiled and
    struggle to get thru "Puff TMC" - anyhow I am going to keep plugging. I've got an LP Classic and a
    an EDS "kit" replica (worked on this one for a long time. It's not great but not awful either and more fun
    to [try to] play than my lp) -the 12 string neck sounds awesome. So now I've picked up a Strat kit-
    which obviously has a bolt in neck instead of glue-ins like my EDS had. I've got 2 (maybe dumb) questions
    but I figure it can't hurt to ask anyhow - (1) Kinda worried about drilling and putting the 4 screws at the
    base of the neck. I'm not a newbie to wood or metalworking stuff but depending on the type of wood-
    I'm wondering if there is a widely used technique to make sure that I won't inadvertently cause cracks in
    the neck when installing the screws. And (2) haven't checked the neck for straightness or with a fret rocker yet but is it ok to do any fret leveling before drilling the base mounting holes?

As a side note- all of our original high school band members went to the same school. There was a church
    and accompanying church hall building across from the school. The church officials were nice enough to let us use the hall for practice one summer. It occured to me recently that we left our stuff set up on the stage all summer and met for practice 3 or 4 times a week. The hall didn't lock and nobody worried about it. There was never a problem.

thanks & have a great one!!!
    bill

JB74, SAguitar, hornpiper and 4 others like this.
  2. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to Strat-Talk :)

3. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Artist Formerly Known as π Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome, Bill. Enjoy the ride.

4. Tdurden032

Tdurden032 Strat-O-Master

Welcome to the forum - lots of good people and great information here!!

5. JJ119

JJ119 Strat-Talker

Pull up an amp and stay awhile.

Welcome To The Show That Never Ends

6. SAguitar

SAguitar Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to the madness!

7. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member

Welcome in Bill....

8. HamClaw

HamClaw New Member!

Thank you all!!

9. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

Hey Bill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Strat-Talker

Welcome to the forum Bill.

11. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

That's one hell of an intro. :D

Strat-Talk Welcomes you!

12. HamClaw

HamClaw New Member!

Surprised nobody took a stab at my question!! Been reading bits of the forums here and there. Great group!
    Here is a shorty- way back in the day- our crumby group played at a local fair. We were in a small pavilion
    that had a single electrical outlet to which a couple of power strips were quickly added. During one of the
    numbers, a sound behind the pavilion caught our attention and 2 or 3 of use turned to see what it was. Our
    drummer "weasel" turned too, accidentally bumping a hi hat which fell directly onto one of the power strip
    cables, making a nice spark and shutting off about half the equipment. A lot of people think it resulted in a
    temporary sound improvement...

13. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Strat-O-Master

Hi, Bill, and welcome.

Best way to avoid splitting wood when driving screws is pre-drilling properly-sized pilot holes. They need to be small enough to let the threads fully bite but large enough to prevent the shank of the screw from wedging too hard and causing the split.

dogletnoir likes this.
  14. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to the Strat Forums Bill. We're glad you are here.

15. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Gold Member

Welcome to the forum. Many of us here have similar gaps in our musical pursuits. I play only 12 string acoustic in my youth. Still have the guitar. But life intervened with all it twist and turns. 30 years later got interested in building guitars which lead to playing. So I am learning most everything over again but this time around with the help of the membership here and an instructor, doing it right.

1) I drill a pilot hole based on the neck plate, then I align the neck and clamp it. Align the neck. Use a transfer punch to mark the neck for it's pilot holes. I do one screw and then re-check alignment.
    2) Before fret leveling, I would let it climatize under full string tension a week or so as you may want to adjust the neck. Once it is settle in, then level as needed. Wood moves. However there are better authorities on the subject here then I so wait for their input.

16. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Welcome ....oh and beware the GAS. ;)