[Newbie] Choosing an Ibanez

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by lutto, Jul 17, 2020.

1. lutto

lutto New Member!

Hello everyone

First of all, I do not know if I should post about Ibanez guitars in here, I don't understand much, but it seems like this forum is Fender users only and I do not know what stratocaster is yet, so, if I'm in the wrong place, please just let me know.

Now leading to the subject that I want to discuss.

I want to learn to play electric guitars and for that reason, I'm searching for an Ibanez for me to buy.

The reason why I've chosen Ibanez is that I like rock, metal, and some other styles in that niche of music, being Ibanez the most recommended guitars in all researches I've made (quantity of recommendations).

The problem is, I've seen lots of people saying Ibanez Gio Guitars are crap, others complain about the RG 270, 350, 450 (people complaining about its hardware), etc, leaving only some I consider unaffordable and expensive, such as the RG 550 for example.

I'm open to purchasing a used guitar if that means more overall quality, I just don't want to suppress too much the goal of $300,00. (also, don't need to share links here, since I live in Belo Horizonte, MG - Brazil).

So far I've seen people complaining more about Bridges, tuning loss, and the wood used on Ibanez guitars.

[EDITS] Also, I would like to know what's the difference between RG 450 and RG 460... is the upper number among the 4xx always better? 470>460>450? What are the differences between the RG 350 and 450?

With all that said, please, please, could someone recommend me something that is decent and affordable among Ibanez guitars?

Thank you very much,

Best Regards.

2. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Senior Stratmaster

Over the years I have had two Ibanez guitars. One was an AS 93 semi-hollow, the other was a strat style with two humbuckers, I don't remember the model number. Both were good playing and nice sounding, not cheap. For an Ibanez I would suggest spending $300 to $500 new, less for used. You should be able to get a decent guitar for that budget. Just remember, you are the one that needs to be satisfied with your guitar. Trust your ears and hands. There are many opinions, but yours is the only one that counts. Best of luck.

3. BlacknBlue

BlacknBlue Strat-O-Master

If you are just starting out honestly the brand isn't going to matter a whole lot as long as it is a guitar of decent quality, and there are MANY quality choices out there. I would suggest getting a hardtail or guitar without a trem system. When you are starting out, having a tremelo or vibratio system will just add tuning challenges that you don't need when learning.

Get something that is comfortable and plays well and that you like the looks of. A guitar that you like will make you want to play it more.

4. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

Hello brazilian mate, and welcome! I suppose these are very specific questions. Maybe the folks at some Ibanez forum would be more able to answer.

What I can say about Ibanez guitars is that I've had two - an RG-something, and an S series. I still have the latter.

Ibanez S are incredibly fast guitars, and incredibly versatile too. They generally have a Mahogany body, which I think is cool. They are light, sleek, and voiced for rock, hard rock, metal. They will do some classic rock too, but with more of a modern voice. Pickups are usually very gainy, but some of them have coil tap, and a single coil pickup in the middle position.

You may be able to find one of these for not much more than your set budget. They come in different price ranges and specs, but overall the series is well respected as a sleek good sounding shred machine.

henderman likes this.
  5. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-O-Master

There’s definitely Ibanez forums. Try this one.

https://www.jemsite.com/portal.php?page=active_topics

I
    was on there for a bit. I just sold my Ibanez a few months ago so I could get my first Tele. Ibanez makes really high quality guitars, although I don’t know about their newest stuff. I still have a Ibanez bass. It’s very nice.

6. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a lot of Ibanez, all the way up to one from 1982. GIO are not crap. They are not tremendous instruments but they are decent, sturdy, sound OK, and can be made to play well.

Good luck to you. Drop in here once in a while, maybe you will get a Fender or Squier some time. :D

space likes this.
  7. pazman6

pazman6 Senior Stratmaster

I have an early 90's RG120 I picked up for $65. Gave it a metal paint job and dropped in some used Seymour Duncan Humbuckers. Plays great and sounds good for $150 guitar all in. You should be able to find a higher number RG guitar used for a decent price - they are all over America in pawn shops for decent prices. If you are a beginner, I would definitely not get one with a Floyd Rose. They are a pain to string and keep in tune. Get one with a fixed bridge or a strat type bridge.

Dadocaster likes this.
  8. space

space Strat-O-Master

big fan here
    I have had at least 60 ibbys over the years
    The gios are not that bad
    u may want to look at a 80's peavey
    I had one and it was really an amazing super strat style guitar
    also, was very inexpensive
    try this site as well
    Ibanezcollectorsworldforum

9. JJ119

JJ119 Strat-Talker

Welcome

I bought my Ibanez X Series with my first paycheck back in the
    early 1980s. It did not get played a lot, but even now it sounds like it did when it was new.

All guitar makers have people talk bad about them.
    As someone said in a earlier post, it is up to you to make the decision of what YOU like.

Take time to try a few if you can.
    To answer your questions about the difference between the Ibanez models, you should go to the Ibanez forum mentioned by
    @space or @Deafsoundguy

You can post in the topic area called

Non Fender S Type Guitar Forum

We would really like to know what you get!!

10. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V Strat-Talk Supporter

Recorded with Ibanez guitars, both RG 421 models, i believe.
    The boys now have their own signature Ibanez models nowadays,
    but the RG 421s sounded pretty good.
    i liked my RG 421 so much i was wearing the frets out, so i had it refretted
    with stainless steel jumbos (which cost me almost as much as the guitar did
    in the first place but mine is the discontinued RG421RW model with rosewood
    fingerboard and top).
    Dirty:

Clean:

i also own an Ibanez Prestige RG852 eight string:

and i used to have a GB-10 archtop jazz guitar also.
    Ibanez makes a very nice guitar for just about every price point.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    JJ119 likes this.