Join Strat-Talk Today

Newest Tribute G&L S-type quality?

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Papa Che, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Papa Che

Papa Che Strat-Talker

Hi folks! Im looking at some gear here in the land of Denmark and see that not even one shop has Fender guitars. There are two shops selling Custom Shop and Vintage Fenders but that is FAR FAR FAAAAAR out of my pocket range!
    One shop that had Fender guitars went bankrupt.

So there are shops selling G&L, LTD, Gibson, Hagstrom, Epi, Music Man.

Seems like the online stuff is killing the local shops.

Any who, Im looking to get a G&L S-500 Tribute in Sonic Blue with a new fretboard made of Brazilian Cherry.

I also see they upgraded those ugly tort chepo looking PGs to a much nicer tort PG. Wonder generally what folks think of these new G&L Tributes. I see they also have a Doheny Jazzmaster style and a very nice Bluesboy with Bucker in the neck and MFD pup in bridge but this is for another thread.

Thanks for all info!

2. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Fender and Gibson both have "minimum buys" that exceed $100,000-$200,000 per year to stay in their program and 40%-60% of a store's inventory must be Fender/Gibson main or sub brands like Squier/Gretsch/Epiphone/etc.

Very difficult for small shops to do. The G&L, LTD, etc brands allow buying just a few guitars at a time and so you see them in more shops. Fender and Gibson seem to view Mom & Pop stores as too much hassle... but that is where all the new guitar players are minted with guitar lessons.

G&L is where Leo Fender ended up. They are doing some good products. Investigate the new "C&L Research" line on the G&L website. You can probably find the Anderton's review pretty easily.

Tributes are probably now made by Cort in Indonesia and the MII guitars from other brands are already build quality (to spec) higher and more repeatable closer to exiting MIKs.

Omar likes this.
  3. Omar

Omar ✪✪ Miserable Old Curmudgeon ✪✪

I own an Indonesian-made G&L telecaster. It’s my only guitar and my number one. S-500 comes with MFD pickups which are really good and versatile. For €550 you’ll be surprised by G&L build and tone.

Nubs and Smokey3 like this.
  4. roadhog96

roadhog96 Senior Stratmaster

I wish I could comment on the new G&L Tributes but I'm not familer with them. What I can tell you is G&L's quality and workmanship has always been top notch. I have an older Tribute S500 that was made in Korea and it's by far the best sounding guitar I own and it's a beautiful CAR with Rosewood board and it's also the least exspensive modern day guitar I own. I spent several thousand dollars each on a couple Gibson Custom Shops, a 335 and a 68 Les Paul Custom while they are nice the Tribute is nicer sounding and nicer to play.

One other thing don't know what kind of pots they use now but mine has Mighty Mite sealed pots and they are the best pots I have ever owned. They have a smooth taper, never scratchy and best sounding because they are sealed and never get dirty like CTS, Gibson, Fender, Alpha pots etc. Mighty Mite make both types but the sealed are the best IMHO.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    Omar likes this.
  5. Smokey3

Smokey3 Strat-O-Master

I have never owned or played one of these guitars but I took a intrest in them and have done some research about them .I have read what a lot of owners have said and everyone talks about how great they are. The only negative thing I ever heard mentioned was about the frets being a little rough, but who knows about that. I think for the quality and price point you can't go wrong with one.

Omar likes this.
  6. roadhog96

like I said mine is an older one but the neck is one of the best features it has going fir it. It’s smooth, polished frets with no sharp ends. I remember picking up a Fender Squire at GC and every fret had sharp burs on the ends, put it right down.

Smokey3 and Omar like this.
  7. fergyuk

fergyuk Strat-Talk Member

I don't have an S500 but do have a Legacy tribute series which is very well put together with quality woods and electrics.
    [​IMG]

Omar and CalicoSkies like this.
  8. roadhog96

The MFD pickups, PTB controls and 7 way switch are what makes the S500 so awesome sounding. You can get so many different sounds out of it once you get the pickup height adjusted and poles balanced.

9. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

I think blue burst (or most blues in general) & white pearl pickguard is a good combination. I have a G&L Comanche, also in blue burst with a white pearl pickguard. It's a great guitar.

fergyuk and Omar like this.
  10. Nubs

Nubs Strat-O-Master

I had an S-500:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very well built and sounded great. Personally I wasn't a big fan of the gloss EVERYWHERE. It's like they finish building the guitar, then dip it in gloss a few times and ship it out.

Don't mind a bit of gloss, but this thing was coated in it. A bit too thicc IMO.

Omar likes this.
  11. Papa Che

Papa Che Strat-Talker

Thanks for all the replies! Im thinking to get the S-500 Tribute Sonic Blue with Brazilian Cherry FB. Still to go to the shop and try a few models before pulling the trigger.

12. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

All of those companies you listed have some very solid products. I've only owned U.S. G&Ls, but I've picked plenty of the Tributes up in stores and played them. I've been impressed will each of them and wouldn't hesitate to buy one and even gig with it, if I had a need for another guitar.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.