Next Guitar: 1991 ‘57 AVRI or 2018 Wildwood Thin Skin ‘56?

Which one would you pick?

• Total voters

JDug

Strat-O-Master
Sep 18, 2020
New Jersey USA
Deciding between the two…

Ok, the Corona era AVRI ‘57’s we know about: 7.25” radius, vintage style frets, neck tinted finish, soft v, .83”/.90”, Alder body, nitro w/poly base, etc etc This one is 7.12 lbs/ 3,23 kg

The Wildwood Thin Skin ‘56: 6105 “narrow tall” frets, 9.5” radius, soft v, .93”/1.02”, Ash body, CS ‘54 pups…its 8.5 lbs/3,85 kg

Both guitars are in excellent condition and have their tweed OHSC.

sonny wolf

Most Honored Senior Member
Aug 7, 2009
austin texas
I'm picky with body carves so I'd go with the 2018 which was a great year for shaping the body sleekly like a preCBS Strat would have.In 1991 they weren't as nice or vintage correct....bulkier and shaped 'wrong'.But at the end of the day it's determining which one feels and sounds best to you.

Torvald

Senior Stratmaster
May 3, 2019
Northwest
I voted for the 2018. I like everything about it spec wise, especially if it does have the the pre CBS carve, except the weight.

JDug

Strat-O-Master
Sep 18, 2020
New Jersey USA
I voted for the 2018. I like everything about it spec wise, especially if it does have the the pre CBS carve, except the weight.
I’m not crazy about heavy guitars, however I did previously have a Wildwood Thin Skin 56, same as this one, pretty heavy, but same thick neck dimensions. It does seem to be true about a heavier guitar and a thicker neck because wow, did that guitar sing! You could just about feel it vibrate!

Think I’m going with the Wildwood. The AVRI is cool and all, and in nice shape for a 31 year old guitar, but that WW is too good to pass up!