Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD—Les Paul R8

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by unionjack515, Sep 8, 2019.

1. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-Talker

HNGD!

unionjack515 likes this.
  2. unionjack515

unionjack515 Senior Stratmaster

How come? Just curious.

3. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talk Member

Several reasons.
    I've gigged them a few times and found them to be too high cost for me to worry about in a crummy bar
    Physically Les Pauls are too small for me body wise. I love the sound and look and many of my heroes played them.
    I had a beautiful R4 and I really regret letting that one go. Possibly more so than the R8s.

unionjack515 likes this.
  4. unionjack515

All very interesting. I dunno, I guess I know I’m not reckless...and I just acknowledge that accidents happen but it can’t be all luck that I’ve avoided them for 39 years. I am lucky enough to have a Porsche in my garage, and I take it on the track fairly regularly. I know it could get bad quickly, but I also know I have a sense of self-preservation and it seems to impress itself on me at the right times. Maybe same with guitars.

Stratoskater likes this.
  5. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talk Member

It's not my self-preservation I'm worried about. A drummer knocking it over would be one concern. If he kicks over my Strat it will most likely bounce back.

I remember a particular gig I played at a diver bar and we were first band on act and I piled my R8 in the corner with all the other gear and then continued to drink and talk with fans/friends. I kept going back to how easy would it be to steal that little Lifton case and how for someone like me took to scrape the coin together to buy that R8. I'll never be in the bracket with the career I choose. Couldn't even imagine a Porsche in the garage either!

I would like to have another R8 again and I'm sure there will be a 4th. I tend to do these things in cycles.

unionjack515 likes this.
  6. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

What a beauty !

HNGD !

unionjack515 likes this.
  7. lammie200

lammie200 Strat-O-Master

It's a honey!

unionjack515 likes this.
  8. unionjack515

Heard back from Dave at Dave’s Guitar Shop in Wisconsin today. He told me they did one or two runs of five guitars in this color. It differs considerably from the stock colors offered because of the depth of the gold/yellow in the middle/bottom of the body. Noticeably darker yellow than a Royal Tea Burst or Sunrise Tea Burst, for example. Couldn’t be happier with the color.

I took some time doing some A/B playing beside my Ebony R8 today and the differences are more obvious than I expected. Quite a bit less shoulder on the Burst’s neck profile, perhaps a bit thinner at the nut too. Fills out nicely near the 12th fret though. I don’t know the specifics of how Gibson does things, but I’m guessing there’s a fair amount of hand shaping done on the Custom/Historic necks vs straight CNC. There’s definitely some significant variation there. I had replaced the plastics on the Ebony guitar and never had done a side-by-side vs. stock until now. Pretty big difference. I’ll most likely do some swapping of rings, pickguard, knobs and truss rod cover. Playing these back to back also reminds me pretty quickly how much I love the pickups/harness combination in the Ebony guitar. I think the OX4/MSSC Vintage combination is still a nice upgrade over stock, but can’t touch the Haeussel/MSSC Holy Grail. I sure hope I can find one of those Holy Grail harnesses. I’ve reached out to the maker, Matt Martin, over on the LP forum to see if he can make/source one for me and haven’t heard back yet. Looks like he’s fairly active over the though so my fingers are crossed. The Haeussel pickups are being wound as we speak. So I’m sure I’ll put a formal classified up for the harness and pickups as soon as I can source replacements, just a heads-up.

It was also my first time playing a top-wound guitar (Ebony) back-to-back with a standard through-tailpiece (Burst). Given, I think the Burst is strung with 10s where the Ebony has 11s, you can still feel the difference in tension just slightly. Apples to apples 11s to 11s has to feel like a different guitar.

Anyway, really happy! Just a few little things to address and personalize (gotta get my standard clear cavity covers put on there) and it will be right up there with the Ebony. One of three conclusions to be made: my Ebony isn’t as special as I think and my standards are just low, I lucked out and found another great one, or Gibson’s QC isn’t as poor as people say...

Attached Files:

CFFF likes this.
  9. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

I wanted to comment earlier but couldn't. Beautiful.

unionjack515 likes this.
  10. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth breathin' knuckle dragger Strat-Talk Supporter

You just mentioned the possibility of getting another wiring harness, the guy who was running that show I had some difficulties and he stopped making them. However the fellow who is running Electric City pickups was apparently one of his friends and took over making the wiring harnesses.

Yaralag likes this.
  11. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I like it a lot!

unionjack515 likes this.
  12. unionjack515

Yes! But when I try to visit Electric City’s website it’s been suspended! What luck!

abnormaltoy likes this.
  13. abnormaltoy

Well it has been a while since I've looked up electric City pickups, I have become enamored with the pickups made by our own @Bodean .

You might check out creamtone or throbak.

Or just keep what you got and fiddle with the knobs on your amplifier. :)

unionjack515 likes this.
  14. unionjack515

Meh my knobs are good. The set up on this new LP is kinda dead below 8.5 on any given knob. That’s unacceptable.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  15. unionjack515

I had a set of DT-102s from ThroBak and I liked them. But they paled in comparison to the Haeussels.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  16. abnormaltoy

I've always heard of the Haeussels, but have never heard them. They certainly have a top-notch reputation.

17. unionjack515

This guy’s clearly got a (hopefully) healthy obsession with Knopfler...does a straightforward comparison between an actual 1960 LP with PAFs and his ‘74 Custom LP loaded with Haeussels. “Better” is subjective of course, but it’s clear that the ‘60 is....better. Ha. Still, the Haeussels perform admirably! I use a custom (lower) wind in the neck for a little more clarity. I spend a lot of time in the middle position and the double tones with that combination are sweet.

18. abnormaltoy

Hmm, I'd like to hear them live and in person...but they sound good on YT!

19. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

Very nice, enjoy :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.