Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD! - '00 Squier Affinity Series Telecaster.

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by Kenni, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Kenni

Kenni Strat-Talk Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Denmark
    Hi there, everyone :)

Hope you're all doing well, and having a good time!

Yesterday I found something interesting on the web, real cheap, and I pulled the trigger...
    I know it isn't rare or anything like that, but it played very nice, and it's almost 20 years old! :)

I seem to have a thing for older guitars, and especially Strats and Teles!

This is a Squier Affinity Telecaster from 2000 - according to the serial number on the headstock.
    The previous owner put a humbucker in the bridge, and it sounds just fine. I've always been curious about those humbuckers in single coil format!
    [​IMG]

No string ferruls on this one!
    [​IMG]

Fretboard is kind of dirty and sticky... it really needs some love. I like the look though!
    Frets do not look that worn, so that's great! ;)
    [​IMG]

The headstock is probably the nicest part on the guitar.. it's kind of beat up, and it seems like some one once tried to re-paint it, or something like that.. None the less, it's not that bad. I got it real cheap, and the playability is great. I might strip it down at some point and re-paint.
    [​IMG]

I checked the serial number, and it dates back to 2000, so it's almost 20 years!
    I like the feeling of that, for sure ;)
    [​IMG]

I ended up paying $140 for it, so it's not that bad - also given the upgrades. The cost of the bridge pickup is almost half the price ;)

Anyone know some more about the Affinity Series from back then? It would be nice to hear a little more!
    Of course I don't expect much from this one, but hey, a good setup and some new strings will do a whole lot!

Cheers, guys :D

2. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2010
    Valley o Sun
    Congrats on the new guitar....looks pretty cool...

And, I think Squier Tele's are actually quite rare...you see plenty of Strats out there but not many Tele's...

enjoy....

ocean likes this.

3. Kenni

Kenni Strat-Talk Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Denmark
    Hey, @crawdaddy :)

Yeah, it's pretty nice!

Hmm, you might just be right about that, mate!
    The more I think about it, the less I actually see Teles like that for sale :)

I'll get this one up and running, soon ;)

crawdaddy and ocean like this.

4. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    Did you ever sell your 60th ? Did you get what you wanted ?

crawdaddy likes this.

5. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    Is that a Barden in the bridge? You got yourself a killer axe that I bet sounds as good as an American X for one tenth of the price.

I wish I had kept my 90s Squier Strat.

6. crawdaddy

Feb 11, 2010
    Valley o Sun
    Yes, I did....sad to see them go...I sold my son's right handed and my left handed 60th annv...great guitars, but with the arthritis in my fingers getting worse by the day, I figured it was time to scale back. I was very happy with the return they brought...

They are great guitars, but I still have my 50th annv strats to keep me company along with a few other gems.

I've been selling a bunch of guitars the last few months..... unfortunately, to the chagrin of my wife, I've also picked up a few....

Take care....

nuculer terrist likes this.

7. crawdaddy

Feb 11, 2010
    Valley o Sun
    I know a lot of people don't like The Affinity line....but I say...tough nuggies to them....

2 of my favorites are Squier Standards (the equivalent of the Affinity in the 90's) from the late 90's in British Racing Green and Frost Red....

squier 99 grn_003.JPG 20170524_082745.jpg

take care....

8. Kenni

Kenni Strat-Talk Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Denmark
    @Vjerilood - The seller named the pickup, but I can't remember now...
    Well, I guess it's stamped on the back of the pickup, so when I get it out, I can take a look at it :)
    None the less, it sounds really good! Great output and crunchy tone!

I've always been very interested in the humbucker in single coil format, but never really had a guitar to put them in.. now I do ;)

The sound is really good - even unplugged! Rich and harmonic!
    I'll give it a nice setup and a fresh set of strings, and then everything should be good to go!
    Yeah, the price wasn't bad at all!

Yeah, I've sold guitars too that I wish I would have kept.. :)

Cheers!

9. Kenni

Kenni Strat-Talk Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Denmark
    Thanks, yeah, I'm sure I'm gonna love this one! :)

Squiers are excellent guitars, and I've always been happy with the deals I've made!

Thanks, you too! :)

10. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    Oh wow a lefty Squire Standard in BRG. I’m drooling. That would go with my BRG AC15.

crawdaddy likes this.

11. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Strat-O-Master

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    Congrats & fun with it. A couple hours ago FedEx dropped of my eBay find, a BSB Squier Affinity Tele.
    I think mine is pretty much stock. Your black one w/ the rail pickup looks awesome. Did they install a push/pull to split the coil?

12. Kenni

Kenni Strat-Talk Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Denmark
    Thanks, @joe_cpwe :)

Uuh, nice, have fun too, mate!

Yeah, the rail pickup sounds great!
    No, just regular vol and tone ;)

Cheers!

joe_cpwe likes this.

13. Kenni

Kenni Strat-Talk Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Denmark
    So... I took the guitar apart last night, and when I removed the neck from the body, I discovered that a shim was placed in the neck pocket - no big deal, really. The shim wasn't that big, and it was a piece of plastic... maybe 2-3cm wide and 1.5cm deep.
    I decided to take the shim out and see if it was really needed there.. I got the neck back on, strung it up, and found that the action was now quite high - of course, given that I removed the shim. The bridge saddles were up quite a way, so really no problem, and they didn't bottom out, and I got the action I wanted, but something annoyed me.. Given that this Tele doesn't have the strings going through the body, the low e-string becomes a problem, possibly the a-string too, when I want to lower the saddle at the bridge.. The string is generally coming through the back of the bridge plate, as you see in the photo I took:

[​IMG]

This basically causes the thick, low e-string to catch the underside of the saddle, since it's going under the saddle, and not over, as it would if it had string through and ferrules. This has now caused the low e-string saddle to sit at an angle. It seems to work fine, but I don't know if it's ideal... I'll work around it, and determine if I'll just fit a nicer shim under there, because I don't think that anything else would solve the problem..

:)

14. nuculer terrist

nuculer terrist Senior Stratmaster

Mar 12, 2014
    center of the mind