NGD 1961 Original Blonde Ash Fender Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by GuitarTalk, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

Was just to say "great photos!" :)

EyeLikeTortoise likes this.
  2. Bazz Jass

A lot of Japanese dealers seem motivated to sell right now. HI Guitars have actually listed prices on a bunch of their pre-CBS strats. It was rare to see a price listed a year or so back - always "ask for price." No thanks - the fact that I am looking at your listing means I want to know the price. Just bloody-well put it on the page!

http://hi-guitars.com/PreCBSStockList.html

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  3. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

HNGD!

May I ask how does it compare to other Strats you own (I suppose you own or have owned a bunch before going the vintage way...)

4. GuitarTalk

GuitarTalk Strat-Talk Member

TL;DR it sounds like a slightly more chimey (more “bell”-like tone) 57’ maple v-neck neck. (I’ve never owned or played an ash body 54-56’, so cant compare to those).

Compared to other pre-cbs ones I owned and tried, this is the most “bell” like tone (really chimey highs and big bottom end). I know people on most forums (including me) roll their eyes at the does an ash vs alder, rosewood vs maple make a difference in tone, but… this is what I think:

- pickups affect tone the most
    - fretboard wood doesn’t affect tone all that much, body wood and neck wood does much more

My friend owns another 60’ strat all original almost identical weight (200 serial #’s off, same month body date), almost identical pup output, same thickness slab board. Except his is a standard alder 3TSB. His is much darker sounding. Still sounds great but darker.

The 57’ maple v-neck neck one I posted, also alder, sounds more warm than my blonde with all pots on 10. A bit more pronounced mids, less chimey highs. The funny thing is, when you roll back the tone on the blonde to about 7.5, it sounds IDENTICAL to the 57’ maple neck.

I’m starting a YT channel, going to make an in-depth comparison vid.

5. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Yeah looking forward for a test, thanks a lot for your feedback!

6. GuitarTalk

np, hopefully i dont procrastinate haha

guitarman1984 likes this.
  7. GuitarTalk

As I said, I’m 26, I only know that photos come in .jpeg and .png formats :( These “analog” versions seem fun though. I wonder if they could do different size photos too if you asked? Were they in colour or black and white only?

*sarcasm*

Bazz Jass likes this.
  8. Bazz Jass

You could get frames for them too!

[​IMG]

sikoniko likes this.
  9. Antonio77

Antonio77 Strat-Talker

Nice!

GuitarTalk likes this.
  10. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talker

Except the white string!

11. Groundwire

Groundwire Strat-Talker

If a Strat has ever looked cooler than that, I’ve not seen it. Man, love that tastefully aged color, and great condition. Lovely.

GuitarTalk and exranger like this.
  12. EyeLikeTortoise

EyeLikeTortoise Strat-Talker

Ok, so you acquired a "grail" model rosewood and maple Pre-CBS Strat in the same month. Is the search for vintage Fenders over? Are you satiated? Do you think these are life long keepers? Let's get into the psychology of these purchases :)

13. GuitarTalk

haha I didnt keep the 57, so Im still on the hunt for one. I compare all strats to the 60 now though, so it’s tough to find one I like playing/hearing as much. Considering finding a matching blonde tele (given that black guard market is a bit too insane right now)

14. exranger

exranger Strat-Talk Member

It is also a (really) fine player in feel, tone (unplugged and plugged), and friggin' lightweight. I was very fortunate as a young 'un of 10~11 to have this be my first "good" geetar. hundreds of others have come and gone o'er the last 50 years, but this '63 has remained @ my side, daily, through the decades. Same w/ my prewar J-45 "Banner" acoustic. I also have a '69 Telecaster that's been w/ me since (IIRC) 1974, but though I love the feel and tone (or it would have been dealt out long ago) and look of it, the thing weighs a ton -- about as much as an *****' Les Paul Model or Lester Custom for crissakes -- and so has never been "always within easy reach" like the '63 Strat.

GuitarTalk likes this.
  15. Groundwire

Groundwire Strat-Talker

That’s a great story. Thanks for sharing. I acquired my ‘65 recently, and it is a notch above any Strat that I’ve played before. I hope to never sell it. Now of course I want an old Tele as well…
    It’s so cool how your Strat has been with you a long time and that many guitars come and go, but it has been your constant. Awesome.

exranger and GuitarTalk like this.
  16. exranger

exranger Strat-Talk Member

Rory Gallagher inspired me! Kidding ... I wouldn't discover Rory Gallagher until circa 1973, several years after I'd acquired my '63. IIRC, SRV's "#1" was (maybe) his first Strat, which he'd acquired @ a fairly young age, and of course which he held onto until the -- bitter and tragic -- end.

i think there are a few "one guitar" guys out there.

PS: Springsteen w/ his Black 'Guard Tele (Esquire)... they've been together a long time I think?