NGD 1964 Stratocaster

bterry

Strat-Talker
Jun 1, 2010
Washington
Several years ago when I paid through the nose for my original '55, I just said it cost about the same as my wife's new mini van. It sounds like, with the trade, you got off easier where the liquid funds are concerned but excelled in the value dept. My wife's vehicle has held some value due to the inventory shortage, but has still declined for the most part. These vintage guitars are a better investment - for now anyways.

I’ve been playing vintage guitars since the early 90s - lost on a few and won on a few, but it’s all about the ride. I definitely play these guitars and record with them, too.

Thanks for all the lovely comments, everyone! I have a few more pics I’ll post tomorrow :)

bterry

Strat-Talker
Jun 1, 2010
Washington
Here’s the ‘64 with a nice clean early ‘66 Twin. You can see some of the fine nitro checking on the upper horn in this pic…

LCRphhb.jpg

Nokie

Strat-O-Master
Jul 31, 2018
I’ve been playing vintage guitars since the early 90s - lost on a few and won on a few, but it’s all about the ride. I definitely play these guitars and record with them, too.

Thanks for all the lovely comments, everyone! I have a few more pics I’ll post tomorrow :)
Yes, please make with the additional pics!!

crashbelt

Strat-O-Master
Feb 27, 2012
England
I'd love to more pics of the checking. My early 65 CAR looks similar - it has quite a thick skin finish, as I've seen on some LPBs, which seems to be prone to longitudinal checking.

bterry

Strat-Talker
Jun 1, 2010
Washington
I'd love to more pics of the checking. My early 65 CAR looks similar - it has quite a thick skin finish, as I've seen on some LPBs, which seems to be prone to longitudinal checking.

Yes, the checking is mostly longitudinal like on most Fenders I’ve seen in the 60s - I can take/post some pics.

Groundwire

Strat-O-Master
Apr 16, 2021
Oregon
Yes, the checking is mostly longitudinal like on most Fenders I’ve seen in the 60s - I can take/post some pics.
I love that type of checking, but I do think it tends to be more prevalent on the custom colors, especially the metallic ones.

My ‘65 has the most crazy random checking patterns. I’ve seen a few other sunburst 60’s Strats with wild crackling like this. 60FCABA7-15D9-4F24-A756-D53C8E6E426B.jpeg 74AD9E15-36A2-4070-8AE6-764A4FD0AB1E.jpeg

bterry

Strat-Talker
Jun 1, 2010
Washington
The truth is nitro checks in all directions and it really is down to a few factors combined that determine how it checks. There’s no ‘right’ way! Lucite, too.

Hard to get a good pic b/c the finish is still very vibrant and reflective but I think you can see from this pic how this one is - very fine checking throughout.

This guitar was just not played much - still has all the neck finish and the pickguard isn’t scratched up at all - a gem!

2zLjg4b.jpg

Last edited:

bterry

Strat-Talker
Jun 1, 2010
Washington
And, while we’re talking checking and blue guitars - I can’t resist posting a pic of my January 1959 Jazzmaster in original blue sparkle finish.

Here’s an example of another kind of nitro checking where the aluminum in the original finish causes a ‘spider web’ effect in worn parts - seen best along the sides and on the lower bout, here - a good way to tell if it’s an original sparkle finish from this particular era.

dFMjv0i.jpg

Last edited:

RNBQ

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 26, 2010
Bay Area
Congrats…! That’s def one for the books, esp with a LPB finish. A dream Strat by all accts…🎸

Last edited:

Old Tone

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 8, 2019
Louisville, KY
This one is too good not to share - another spring of ‘64 Strat with all pre-cbs features but in a stunning LPB finish.

This is one of those guitars you can’t put down, it plays and sounds soooooo good.

Happy father’s day to all the dads out there!

a8W4Dxm.jpg

VI8YVFP.jpg
Every kid in America wishes they were YOU!!!!!!!!!!

SoK66

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 3, 2010
Soutwest USA
Superb Strat, congratulations! I’m curious about the case, is it brown or white? My Nov ‘64 Strat has a brown case the original owner claims was the case he bought it with.

bterry

Strat-Talker
Jun 1, 2010
Washington
Superb Strat, congratulations! I’m curious about the case, is it brown or white? My Nov ‘64 Strat has a brown case the original owner claims was the case he bought it with.

White, but I’ve also seen ‘64s with brown or the newest black cases. Since they were sold separately it’s not too unusual to see original guitars with cases from a year before or after.

The white cases were super short-lived, I’ve mostly seen them with late ‘63 or early ‘64 guitars though I had an original Jan ‘65 that had one as well. I have definitely seen brown cases with original’64s they were only phased out in mid ‘63…

gibbysguitars

New Member!
Nov 15, 2020
Utah
This one is too good not to share - another spring of ‘64 Strat with all pre-cbs features but in a stunning LPB finish.

This is one of those guitars you can’t put down, it plays and sounds soooooo good.

Happy father’s day to all the dads out there!

a8W4Dxm.jpg

VI8YVFP.jpg
For sale?