NGD - 1983 JV Squier Strat ('62 )

JonnyBGood

Strat-Talker
Mar 16, 2019
Uk
I don't often do the NGD thing but I've had an eye out for one of these for while, and got it for a good price by today's UK prices. All original except for the 3 way switch swapped out for a 5 way, which is fine by me. Good condition for its age with minimal fretwear, only slightly annoying thing is that a previous owner fitted a string retainer to the headstock (pointless) which left three small holes. These have been since filled but visible nonetheless. Still, I've seen an 'excellent condition' JV of the same year advertised for double this price at a dealer so I'm not complaining.

It arrived with a bad case of stratitis on the 6th string/neck pickup, and the rubber pickup height washers were corroded so I couldn't lower the pickup height. Now fixed with some new washers and I have finished setting it up - it sounds *really* sweet, excellent pickups. Plays really well with no choking on bends, this is a very light (6lbs 13oz) & resonant Strat. Its probably the closest I'll get to a real 60s Strat so I am a happy bunny :)

Attachments

• case.jpg
    case.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 35

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
Nice, glad that worked out for you. I remember your earlier thread asking for advice regarding it. Got to show us more pics though! 😉👍

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I don't often do the NGD thing but I've had an eye out for one of these for while, and got it for a good price by today's UK prices. All original except for the 3 way switch swapped out for a 5 way, which is fine by me. Good condition for its age with minimal fretwear, only slightly annoying thing is that a previous owner fitted a string retainer to the headstock (pointless) which left three small holes. These have been since filled but visible nonetheless. Still, I've seen an 'excellent condition' JV of the same year advertised for double this price at a dealer so I'm not complaining.

It arrived with a bad case of stratitis on the 6th string/neck pickup, and the rubber pickup height washers were corroded so I couldn't lower the pickup height. Now fixed with some new washers and I have finished setting it up - it sounds *really* sweet, excellent pickups. Plays really well with no choking on bends, this is a very light (6lbs 13oz) & resonant Strat. Its probably the closest I'll get to a real 60s Strat so I am a happy bunny :)

NICE!! Is it a JV serial prefix? If so it's late production, I think it had trapezoid tuners originally and someone changed them to split shaft style......basswood body.....nice example!

JonnyBGood

Strat-Talker
Mar 16, 2019
Uk
Ok some more pics, nice to see no buckle rash on the back (its virtually unmarked) and also no-one sanded the finish off the neck (hooray!) Lovely rosewood board on it. Saddles all worked when I set it up so no corrosion thankfully. Apart for the switch I mentioned, wiring looks original and bridge PU is not wired to tone control. No crackly pots either.

Those guys knew how to build...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 30

Kester

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 17, 2012
Halesowen, England
You've got yourself a cracker there mate. I've got a couple of JVs and owned another 6 or 7 over the years. Apart from those holes, you've got a cracker. But they're easily ignored. Nice weight and the neck looks quite slim, how I like them.

JV_Squier

Strat-Talk Member
May 24, 2022
United Kingdom
That's a very nice find! Looks in great condition too, clearly not had a lot of use and been stored in a case for the majority of its life! Any idea which pickups it has in it?

martin1964

Strat-Talker
Apr 9, 2014
Victoria, Australia

Hi there. Any chance of you posting some images of the pickups, pots, neck pocket and neck heel ? Guitar looks great overall, congratulations.

JonnyBGood

Strat-Talker
Mar 16, 2019
Uk
Hi there. Any chance of you posting some images of the pickups, pots, neck pocket and neck heel ? Guitar looks great overall, congratulations.
Its all here:

martin1964

Strat-Talker
Apr 9, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Its all here:
Looks very nice under the hood. I have the first version produced for about 3 months in 1982. It has grey bottom US pickups. Pictures attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1991.JPG
    IMG_1991.JPG
    376.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1990.JPG
    IMG_1990.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 6