NGD: 2012 american select strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Guitarzan5150, May 15, 2020.

1. Guitarzan5150

Guitarzan5150 Strat-Talk Member

I usually don't post NGD stuff on forums, but I thought I would post this one because I couldn't find too much info on these (at least not recently) a few threads back in 2012-14 when they were out but not much more. I ended up trading a PRS McCarty for it. I was a little hesitant at first because retail, it's not even close. Core PRS are generally ~4.4k CAD and best I can tell, these went for about 2-2.2k CAD when new. They seem to be holding value well though on the used market and many sold on reverb for over 2k recently, which is a little more than I paid for the McCarty. Based on what I paid for my McCarty, I don't think I'd lose any money should I decide to not keep the strat.

I'm not much of a strat player, can't really get them to sound as good as others can. I've been looking for a while for something that will get me a quality strat that I'll keep. I hope this will be the one, it's the nicest/most expensive start I've owned so far. I had recently rented an american professional for a month, and although the guitar was nice, I wasn't crazy about the pickups. I could have seen myself pick one up and swap the pickups though if I had found the right deal, but this came up instead.

The flame on the neck is crazy though on this one. Almost to the point that it's distracting while playing, but I'm sure I'll get used to it with time.

IMG_0137.jpg image0.jpeg

2. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Gorgeous!

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

Very nice !!

jtoomuch and 3bolt79 like this.
  4. nadzab

nadzab Peace & Love, my Brothers & Sisters... Strat-Talk Supporter

That's stunning, congratulations!

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Well Happy New Fancy Guitar Day!

jtoomuch likes this.
  6. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Nice one congrats :thumb:

3bolt79 and Stratafied like this.
  7. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

:thumb:
    Congrats!

3bolt79 and Stratafied like this.
  8. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Strat-Talk Supporter

Very nice! Love the flame neck! Congrats and enjoy

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. integra evan

integra evan Strat-O-Master

These Strats are awesome. I've been trying to get my hands on one but every time they pop up, its just too much asking price. Nice score!

3bolt79 likes this.
  10. Guitarzan5150

Yeah, in my research when I was trying to figure out if the value was close enough I only found two on reverb at 3,000 CAD. I know they'll never get that and asking price on reverb is usually higher than selling price, but even then it still seems crazy.

3bolt79 and integra evan like this.
  11. Guitarzan5150

Does anyone know the Pickups in these? I know they're made specifically for these guitars, but can't find any info as to which type of magnet, output, etc...

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

That's a very nice Strat! Sorry I can't help you with the pickups; they were probably alnico 5s but that's just a guess.

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Strat-Talker

That's a beautiful Strat! I hope that this one will end up finally checking off all the boxes for you, and that you'll enjoy finding out. :)

3bolt79 likes this.
  14. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Stratmaster

Congrats!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. anticarnist

anticarnist Strat-Talker

Jeepers! You get three t’s - HOTTT!

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. tatoo

tatoo Strat-Talker

HNGD! This was a nice model, with all the flame.

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

Happy NGD!

I played a few of these back then. High quality guitars. They basically felt like the Deluxe, but looked like a million bucks as far as grain and finish goes. I believe that the rosewood neck had the fret ends covered by inlaying the fretboard.

The pickups were Select models. I don't know what magnets they use, but I recall the were a slightly hot, vintage voice. I saw a lot more of the HSS version back then compared to the SSS.

Enjoy!

3bolt79 likes this.
  18. Guitarzan5150

So far so good. Fit and feel are great. Quality is for sure there. Although the neck is very different, it'll take a little adjusting to. I've got an American special Tele that I love, and the neck is not at all like that one, or really any other strats I've played. It feels a little wider at the nut and definitely at the 12th fret than what I'm used to.

As for the tones, I'm not sure yet. The potential seems there. I just played through some already existing patches on my Helix that I created for my tele, so I haven't had the chance to create and dial in some specific patches for this guitar. Once I find the right amp/cab combo I'm sure I'll be able to get some good tones out of it. It does sound like a strat for sure, but maybe not as vintage as others. I have yet to play it through my DSL40. I actually prefer a strat through clean Marshall rather than BF fender or the likes, so that may work well too. The one thing I was impressed with was the bridge pickup. I almost never use a strat bridge, but I actually like this one quite a bit.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    wrvond and 3bolt79 like this.
  19. TimJ

TimJ Strat-Talker

HNGD. Here's mine - it's shamefully underused, but it's a really nice guitar, especially the compound radius neck. It's only underused because I have too many other guitars (first world problems, I know). It did take a while for the neck to de-stickify (technical term)?

[​IMG]

20. Martin Gibson

Martin Gibson New Member!

Thanks for posting this.

I came here just to look for any info on this guitar, as there's one on Reverb now I've had my eye on. It just looks soooo good, and the specs sound appealing. I've never had a top shelf strat, only a used MIM that I find I've been picking up more often than my more expensive guitars. Basically, I'm becoming a strat guy, and I'm looking for a splashier one. Right ow it's between this guy and a generic used American Standard (with the plan of upgrading again down the road if I still feel the need.)

I'll be interested in any updates you care to share as you continue to explore its tone.

3bolt79 likes this.