NGD: 2019 Fender Custom Shop HM Strat Masterbuilt by John Cruz

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by RetVet2018, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

Sh!t that is a fine looking piece.

What pickups are in it?
    What's the 2nd switch on the body?

Loving the top-mounted Floyd too, way better than recessed IMO.

RetVet2018 likes this.
  2. RetVet2018

RetVet2018 Strat-Talk Member

The floor runner shows the pickups as being Dimarzio PD277F and PD276F pickups. Before I pulled the trigger on the guitar, I did a lot of reading on the HM Strats of the 80s/early 90s. It seemed to be a common sentiment that people wished Fender would reissue the guitar.

3. RetVet2018

I haven't had a ton of time to plug it in and try things just yet, but both switches seem to be pickup selector switches. The smaller is a two-way and sounds as though it's switching between pickups while the larger is a three-way that seems to have different yet subtle changes. I'll have to spend more time with it in order to hear what's going on...unless someone else knows what kind of setup it might be.

Here's the paper that was hanging on the wall with it at NAMM:
    [​IMG]

dbolt, Bowmap, sam_in_cali and 2 others like this.
  4. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

the smaller switch should change one or both pickups from series to parallel

CS list bill says 5 way switch. I see a 3-way and a mini toggle.

RetVet2018 likes this.
  5. RetVet2018

I'm pretty sure this is the guitar at the 2019 NAMM show. I was trying to zoom in and match up the number on the document I pictured above to see if the #439 was on it (just like the document that came with the guitar). The only thing that throws me off is the saddles are red in the video while mine are black. Outside of that, I'm 99% sure that this is the same guitar. If it is, I wonder why the saddle change.

Anyway, at around the 6:20 mark, they talk about it, and you can see the flame much better than in still pictures:

6. RetVet2018

Yeah, it's a bit confusing. There's some inconsistencies on the floor runner too. The pickup type is lined through and the switch tips and knobs are listed as aged white.

7. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

You might want to check with
    Fender Consumer Relations • [email protected]

RetVet2018 likes this.
  8. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

Very cool.

RetVet2018 likes this.
  9. StratLover66

StratLover66 Strat-Talker

Beautiful guitar!! Happy NGD! I was at the NAMM Show and that was definitely there. I checked the footage you posted to my footage and the photos you have here, and the flames match up perfectly. I'll bet they just thought the black saddles would be an easier sell, or maybe the red ones were just painted, and not anodized, and would not have lasted. Fender and many other brands dress up guitars for NAMM, but often that exact configuration is only for the show.

RetVet2018 likes this.
  10. RetVet2018

You got some personal footage of the guitar from NAMM? That's pretty cool! It's hard to say if changes were made and why, but you could be right.

I also just took the floor runner out of the case where it's sitting with the CoA and found a handwritten note at the bottom of it. The floor runner I received over email yesterday from Fender doesn't have the note. Anyway, it states "Pickups are custom design Bareknuckle Cold Sweat hum set". So that makes sense why they lined through the Dimarzio DP277F and DP276F pickups. Hidden under the border of the black binder that the floor runner was sitting in, another handwritten note states "NAMM 2019 #2". Maybe the one on the NAMM floor with the red saddles was actually #1? Then again, as you also mentioned, the wood grain lines seem to match up in multiple places.

11. pinkoboe

pinkoboe Strat-Talk Member Gold Supporting Member

Bone nut? Lol at this COA.

12. RetVet2018

It’s not the CoA. I haven’t photographed it. But yeah...I know what you mean. No bone here. :D

13. 36 chambers

36 chambers Strat-Talker

Gorgeous, how much does something like that go for these days?

14. StratGuy4692

StratGuy4692 Strat-O-Master

wow not what I'd expect to see out of the CS but its a beauty! The neck alone is gorgeous!!

RetVet2018 likes this.