NGD - 2022 Custom Shop 60s 3TSB!

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
I hear you. I have a set of expensive pickups I keep swapping around into different guitars. I really like the dual mags but couldn’t find a set. The strat I tried them out in was way out of my price range.
My understanding is the Dual Mag are the same as the V-Mod, as a way to avoid paying Shaw royalties.
Don't know if it's true or BS, but it sounds like the V-Mod were the same.
Apparently, there is also a Dual-Mag-II that runs the A5 magnet under the G as well.

Intune

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
My understanding is the Dual Mag are the same as the V-Mod, as a way to avoid paying Shaw royalties.
Don't know if it's true or BS, but it sounds like the V-Mod were the same.
Apparently, there is also a Dual-Mag-II that runs the A5 magnet under the G as well.

Oh yeah, I read that too. Without getting into the handwound debate, these are nothing like the V mods, these were designed by Mike Eldridge.

Yeah dual magnets but not even in the same ball park tone wise. I’m pretty sure those dual mags are limited and signed by Josefina. Again does that make a difference, probably not but the pickups you have stock are awesome. I based my latest build off the 55 dual mag strat.

How do they sound to you?

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
Oh yeah, I read that too. Without getting into the handwound debate, these are nothing like the V mods, these were designed by Mike Eldridge.

Yeah dual magnets but not even in the same ball park tone wise. I’m pretty sure those dual mags are limited and signed by Josefina. Again does that make a difference, probably not but the pickups you have stock are awesome. I based my latest build off the 55 dual mag strat.

How do they sound to you?
Now I'm definitely going to crack it open... I didn't even consider that a CS build may have Josefina pickups.
Maybe the Rewind set will go into the American Special after all.

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Now I'm definitely going to crack it open... I didn't even consider that a CS build may have Josefina pickups.
Maybe the Rewind set will go into the American Special after all.

Really, that’s the only way to get them. Either stock in a custom shop or a limited set in a little case. She wound a lot of the dual mags, poblanos and El Diablo pickups.

They do have other winders doing the H/W pickups now with there initials but they’re still handwound and those dual mags still sold for big bucks. I loved them but you cannot find them anywhere. My jam buddy has whatever strat with the V mods. It’s real harsh and shrill, not even close to what you have.

Nate D

Apr 2, 2016
Philly, PA
Woohoo!

Scored a 2022 Custom Shop at a great price. Agonized over it for the better part of the week, then figured "Sooner or later, I'll buy one, this is a great price, and my wife will get over it"
Arrived this morning... it's been hotter than blazes last couple of weeks and the case was really warm when I pulled it out of the box, so I let it rest for a couple of hours to cool down.

Specs are 9.5" radius, Dual-Mag pickups (bass side is Alnico-5, treble is Alnico-2 bevel)
Bridge is vintage style, and surprisingly, the Custom Shop uses "Fender/Pat.Pend" saddles, rather than "Fender/Fender".
Super light... I haven't weighed it yet, but it's lighter than my '17 American Special.
Setup is great and it plays very nicely!

View attachment 580039
View attachment 580042
View attachment 580041
View attachment 580040
View attachment 580038
Oooohhhh that’s cool!!! Congrats. I’m curious to hear about the dual mag pickups. I bet they’re great.

Latest posts