NGD - A Clapton, but not a Strat...

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by RaySachs, Jun 10, 2021 at 10:16 AM.

1. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I've been playing a TON of acoustic lately. My electrics are mostly being used to drop in a second rhythm track or a lead break on some of the songs I record, but I rarely just pick up an electric to play these days. I have two electrics and one acoustic and I was thinking if I wanted some additional variety anywhere, it should be on the acoustic side. My lone acoustic for the past year and a half or so has been a Martin CEO-7, a slope shouldered 00 (which is closer to the size of an 000 than an 00). It's got an Aridondak top and Mahogany (or some variant) back and sides. Dry and woody and wonderful, and way louder than a guitar that size has any right to be - must be the Adi top.

I'm really partial to full V necks and Martin's Mod-V fit's the bill, but they only still feature it on two models, the CEO-7 and 000-28EC, the Clapton signature model. I haven't had a rosewood guitar since the 1968 D28 that was my first good acoustic and my ONLY acoustic for about 25 years. I don't really want the size or need the volume of a dread these days, though. I thought my tastes had completely shifted to mahogany, but a local shop has had an 000-28 hanging on it's wall for a while and I stopped in a played it a few times and really found myself liking the sound. But NOT the neck or narrow string spacing. The Clapton is nearly the identical guitar but with a neck I love and wider string spacing. There aren't a lot of this model available at the moment - Sweetwater has none and Guitar Center has one, hanging in a shop, but they told me it was somewhat scratched up and they'd lost the case, but only offered me $100 off. Nope. But there are a few of them out there, the Music Villa actually had two of them and offered me a nice discount - nothing like the pre-pandemic discounts, but better than I expected these days. So I grabbed the prettier of the two after they assured me they both sounded nearly identical.

Got here yesterday and I've been wearing it out! After an hour swapped out the Martin PBs for a set of Sunbeams, which are my favorite acoustic PB string, and it sounds and feels great. Not as loud as the CEO-7 despite being a bit larger, but that sweet ringing, sustaining rosewood sound. These two guitars are perfect bookends for me. Same feel, very different sound. Both wonderful...

Some pics, because it happened for real...

[​IMG]IMG_1970 by Ray, on Flickr

Acoustic family shot:

[​IMG]IMG_1967 by Ray, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_1968 by Ray, on Flickr

Rosewood, for a change, or a nice refection anyway.

[​IMG]IMG_1978 by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

2. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

Congrats man! That is a real guitar. None of the fancy pickups and pedals I need to sound good.

RaySachs and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Very nice. I almost bought the EC in 2019 but did not like the wider board at the 12th so I got the 000 28 Modern Deluxe.

RaySachs and 3bolt79 like this.
  4. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Wow! That’s a beautiful guitar man. Be it sounds outstanding I’ve daydreamed about one of those a time or two.

I love Martin guitars - I know what you mean about the sweet sustaining ringing overtones of the top 2 or 3 strings in rosewood guitars. I’ll play certain chords on my D 35 just to hear the overtones ringing

Gedster, RaySachs and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Congrats on a real Martin. HNGD!

mikej89, EC Strat and RaySachs like this.
  6. RaySachs

I have all that too - it still doesn't make me sound good! But ALL of them are a stone blast, so I keep on playing despite my meager abilities...

-Ray

7. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Strat-O-Master

Congrats on that fine looking Martin. Enjoy!

RaySachs likes this.
  8. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Senior Stratmaster

Really nice acoustics you have there. It's awesome to have both rosewood and mahogany. Congrats on the new guitar. I'm happy for you.

RaySachs likes this.
  9. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

That's a dream acoustic right there :thumb:. Probably a perfect sized acoustic really for most playing. I often find dreads have too much booming bass/low mids.

RaySachs likes this.
  10. PonyB

PonyB Strat-Talk Member

Beautiful guitar, enjoy!

RaySachs likes this.
  11. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Beautiful, congrats!

RaySachs likes this.
  12. RaySachs

I had a D28 for 25 years and loved it at the time. But anytime I pick up a dread now, I always wonder how anyone is comfortable playing that big a guitar (seated, at least, I know they're different standing) and why they need or even want so much volume short of being in a bluegrass jam with two banjos...

-Ray

mikej89 likes this.
  13. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Too bad you didn't hold onto that '68 with Brazillian Rosewood! It sorta baffles me how the D-28 became the benchmark for country artists because when I listen to most classic country songs the acoustic sounds way too mild and scooped to be a D-28 (even if they're softly thumb strumming). :confused:

RaySachs likes this.
  14. RaySachs

When I first got back into playing after a long layoff, I sort of regretted that I'd sold it (during that long layoff). But I quickly realized I just wasn't into playing dreads anymore and I did well on the sale. I'd have done better today, but I bought that thing for $400 in 1978 or 79 and sold it for about 10 times that in around 2005 or so. Today I'd probably get closer to $6000 - it was far from immaculate when I bought it and far less so when I sold it. In many ways, though, it was the guitar sound that I've judged all others against since...

-Ray

fattboyzz likes this.
  15. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

Congrats! That guitar will last a lifetime and then some. Fine, fine choice made there.

:thumb:

RaySachs likes this.
  16. Gedster

Gedster Strat-Talk Member

Congratulations. They’re both beautiful guitars but I love rosewood Martin’s! My D35 is my favourite guitar. I spend more time playing a fleet of beaters, but the D35 is just so special. Enjoy.

EC Strat and RaySachs like this.
  17. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Some real beauties there, I’ve been playing a little more acoustic lately, love playing in double drop D.

RaySachs likes this.
  18. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

OH MY

RaySachs likes this.
  19. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

Oh man, that's nice. Well done, Sir!

20. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Cause they’re super duper!!