Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD...A Tale of Two Strats

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by 3bolt79, Aug 15, 2019.

1. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

9B31DE40-B130-4E36-B90B-7679C0B0482A.jpeg 5F220B5A-8A90-4F7A-BE4C-1FE287899942.jpeg BD241EFF-5EEF-43D6-B8DE-C37BC48A23FA.jpeg 5F220B5A-8A90-4F7A-BE4C-1FE287899942.jpeg Well, after much delay, my Vintera 70’s strat (second one due to the first having a bad truss rod) finally was delivered. I have spent the last two days working on it to get it into gigable shape.

The ash body isn’t as nice as the one I sent back. There is a couple of dark spots in the wood that you can see in the photos. There was some overspray on the Pau Ferro fretboard at the sixth fret, which I removed with some micro mesh. There were 4 holes for the back plate that were stripped. I added some really soft, tiny pieces of dowel, and that seemed to fix it. That is all that wasn’t up to snuff on this guitar, and I must say that every Mexican Fender I’ve had has had problems with stripped holes in the wood. So I’m that respect, this one was A-OK.

First thing I did when I got this guitar was check the truss rod. All was well with nine gauge strings on it. So I put a set of 10’s on it, and adjusted the neck. I wound up with .007 relief, and with the saddles set at 5/64, there was no buzzing, and I was able to bend a whole step without choking out.

So how does it compare to my ‘79?

Well, the nut is just a little bit wider on the Vintera by about a half mm. The ‘79 has a 42mm nut, and the Vintera is just a smidge wider.

The neck on the Vintera is a little bit beefier at the first fret and feels the same depth wise once you get higher up the neck. The ‘79 has a U shaped neck that seems a little thinner width wise than the Vintera. The Vintera seems a little beefier over all.

Weight...the Vintera weighs in at about 8 lbs and the ‘79 weighs in at close to 10.

The body of the Vintera has the same forearm cut (which is less than most other strats, almost non existent) and feels pretty much the same , as the ‘79. Both bodies are one piece ash.

Pickups: I adjusted the pickups on the Vintera to the same height as the ‘79.
    The bridge pickups sound the same on both. The middle and neck pickups on the Vintera
    Sound a little fuller. The 2 and 4 positions sound similar, with the Vintera sounding a little
    Fuller on position 4.

The pickups on both have flat pole pieces. No stagger.

Both guitars are vintage spaced with the E strings being really close to the edge. Frets are the same size in both. Really tiny.

The frets were level on the new guitar.
    I think I will keep this one.

2. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

That's gorgeous. You sure put it through its paces -- glad you found a keeper!

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Strat-Talker

They sure look like fine Strats to me. That one with the black pick guard looks like a hard-tail Strat?

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

Beauty...congratulations!!

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. 79olympicwhite

79olympicwhite Strat-O-Master

Yeah looks nice.... l can’t believe you had to do all that to a new guitar wtf come on fender step it up.... should need set up to specs of course but anything else for what there charging is crazy to me... lm glad you like it though man

Namelyguitar and 3bolt79 like this.
  6. 79olympicwhite

79olympicwhite Strat-O-Master

That 79 s a stunner

arcticstrat likes this.
  7. 3bolt79

Yes it’s a hard tail. It’s still the best playing, best feeling strat I’ve come across. I found it a couple of years ago at my friends music store. I was shopping for my son. He bought it and I had it for a month before he drove down from Washington to collect it. I told him, if you ever decide to sell it, I’d like first crack at it.

Well a year later, he got in a pinch, and I paid him what he paid for it. And a few months later, when X-Mas rolled around, I bought him an American Special (he wanted Jumbo frets, so that was really the only option) and told him that when I die, he can have the ‘79 back. I still feel like it’s my son’s guitar...I’m just looking after it for him.

8. 3bolt79

oops...double post

79olympicwhite likes this.
  9. 3bolt79

I have had a few Mexican Fenders, and they have all been wonky. I already got a discount when I ordered it, so I guess I can’t complain too much. I don’t care what anybody says, the quality of Mexican Fenders is not as good as the quality of the American Fenders I’ve had.

If one isn’t comfortable with filing nut slots, doing fret leveling, filling and re drilling holes, and doing a complete set up, one should buy American Fenders, or even CV Squiers. They just seem to be better and require less fiddling.

I like it. It’s a dead ringer for the first strat I ever had, which over the course of 20 or so years, I wore out beyond repair. But I wasn’t expecting a perfect guitar from Fender Mexico. I have never had a perfect one from south of the border.

Oh, and the ‘79 is all original, with barely any fret wear.

10. mapleglo

mapleglo Strat-O-Master

QFT.

HNGD!

3bolt79 likes this.
  11. Deathray

Deathray Strat-O-Master

What an awesome pair! Don’t you love that moment, when you feel so fortunate to be struggling over the decision “which one do I want to grab tonight?”

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. 3bolt79

Yes I do feel fortunate. I am truly blessed. I have four strats now. 3 of them are new in the last four months: the Vintera, And two American Specials. I got significant discounts on all of them. I bought them from Zzounds and American Musical Supply.

I took the interest free payment option on all three, and I still got a discount. I will have one paid off at the beginning of October, and another one paid off by December. But even if it takes me longer, the payments are so low, that I could just let them keep billing my debit card, I don’t even miss it. The payments for all three guitars is at $200, and I have no bills to speak of other than that. I am using money that I just would have spent on cigarettes, and the guitars were my incentive to quit. Well, sort of. I went from a pack a day, to a pack a week, and I’ve almost got it licked. Wish I would have never started.

I’m retired, and my house is paid for. My car is paid for. I have no credit card debt. And my only other bills are utilities, and insurance, and pharmacy bills every month. Not having to pay off a mortgage is my biggest monthly savings.

I’ve also bought two guitars for my grandkids this year, and another one for my son. So life is really good. I thank God.

garyhoos1, jwj1701, Textele and 3 others like this.
  13. Deathray

Deathray Strat-O-Master

Keep up the good work with not smoking. The guitars are awesome tangible benefits!

Tone Deaf and 3bolt79 like this.
  14. 3bolt79

@Deathray I am also lucky that my wife has no problems with me buying guitars. She is just really happy that I’m not out at the bars, or chasing other women, or doing drugs. As long as I can afford it, she has no problem with it. I never have to ask permission, or run things by her. She runs things by me however, as I’m in charge of the finances and paying the bills, which she wants no part of.

garyhoos1, Tone Deaf and Deathray like this.
  15. Deathray

Deathray Strat-O-Master

I’m sure she sees the joy you receive from nice gear. She sounds like a good person.

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Nice - too bad you had to send that first Vintera 70s back; the body on it was a stunner, but this one is nice as well. The '79 is killer as well - I started playing seriously in 1979 when I was 17 so I have a soft spot for Fenders of that era.

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. 3bolt79

My wife is the best! She has stood by me through terrible health problems, financial problems due to health problems in the past, surgeries. She’s always been there when I needed her.

garyhoos1, Tone Deaf and Deathray like this.
  18. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Two real beauties there! I love a Sienna burst but that dark one...my-oh-my! I'd play the snot outa that one!

Congrats and thanks for the background!

Brian

3bolt79 likes this.
  19. 3bolt79

The ‘79 was what I wanted since I was ten years old sitting in my room, wishing that I had a strat. That was 1979. I finally got one when I was fifteen. I didn’t get my first guitar until I was 13 or 14, and when I got that strat at 15, my playing improved as it played so much better than my 100 dollar, plywood Ibanez.

garyhoos1 likes this.
  20. 3bolt79

As the ‘79 is all original, including the frets, I tend to play it very gently. It’s practically a new guitar. There’s a couple of micro dings on it.. but it’s in remarkable shape, for a forty year old guitar.

garyhoos1 and Silvercrow like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.