Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD and a hello again

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Strat*Fan81, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Strat*Fan81

Strat*Fan81 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Indiana
    Hey everybody!
    It’s been a long time since I’ve been around these parts. I used to own a standard mim strat but had to sell it, and I’ve missed it ever since. I’ve been playing Tele’s for a few years now, but have still been missing having a strat type guitar. I had had an Epi LP sitting around not being played and figured I’d take a shot and take it to a shop a town over that I go to and see what they could offer me for it. My plan was to try and pick up another Fender Standard, but the worker said “we don’t have any right now, but I highly recommend trying some of our G&L’s”, I had my doubts but I grabbed this Legacy Tribute off the wall, and was immediately impressed with the feel of it. It played great all over the neck, and the neck itself is very comfortable. I plugged it in and the pickups left me somewhat cold, but the feel of the guitar kept it in my hands for awhile longer. I played 3 others including an s500, and everyone of them were solid guitars. They all played great and were flawless really in their builds. But the first one I picked up wouldn’t let me go. So, it came home with me. After a couple days of adjusting pickup heights, and getting acquainted with the PTB system (which I didn’t care for AT ALL at first I now think it’s genius) the generic hi-fi tone I was hearing is gone. It’s now very creamy in the but with an aggressive undertone in the neck position, and classic strat type sounds with higher output in the middle and notch positions, with a great biting bridge tone. Plus, it’s a gorgeous guitar finish wise. Very happy to have an S Type in stable again! IMG_0347.JPG

2. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    I think Leo Fender regarded them as his ultimate design. Never played one but I really like the looks of them, especially the bridge. If it had the traditional fender shaped headstock i would probably have bought it instead of my American standard.

Happy New guitar day. Love the color!

Namelyguitar likes this.

3. Strat*Fan81

Nov 5, 2015
    Indiana
    Thank you! I really like the bridge too....now at least. Now I’m not the greatest at setting up tremolos I’ll admit, but this one was a temperamental beast. Took me a couple hours of aggravation to get the thing to stay in tune after the slightest bump. Every string would go way out at the 3/16 spec height. All I had to do in the end was lower it really, it just took me a long time to figure it out lol. Now it’s more than solid enough for my use. I do t do big sweeping dive bombs too often though.

4. Otisblove

Otisblove Strat-O-Master

May 20, 2016
    Chicago
    Love G&L’s and love that color. HNGD!

Namelyguitar and Strat*Fan81 like this.

5. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2014
    In the shadows
    Admin Post
    Nice! what part of Indiana are you in?

Strat*Fan81 likes this.

6. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    Welcome back - and congrats, nice guitar

Strat*Fan81 likes this.

7. Strat*Fan81

Nov 5, 2015
    Indiana
    Hey Lonn,
    I’m in mid southern Indiana. I live in Seymour, but have lived in a few different places around southern Indiana.

8. andrewps24

andrewps24 Strat-Talk Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Indonesia
    Beautiful color of G&L there. I've never met this color in my local shop

9. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2010
    Valley o Sun
    Real nice looking guitar, love the color....as the proud owner of a few G&L's, I agree that they are great guitars...and for me being left handed, they offer us odd balls a few variations that other (whom should go nameless...but starts with an "F") manufacturers don't.....

Congrats and enjoy your early christmas present....

10. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    I love Legacy they are great guitars

11. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2009
    New Jersey, USA
    Ding Ding Ding
    Looks like you have a winner !!!

12. Strat*Fan81

Nov 5, 2015
    Indiana
    Thanks everybody! I’m loving it more and more everyday. It’s amazing how many tones you can get out of these beauty’s with the PTB system. And I gotta say, the dual fulcrum bridge is by far the most stable trem I’ve used. Just wish the arm swung more freely. Any tips for that?

13. Willie D

Willie D Senior Stratmaster

The trem arm is held in place with a tiny set screw with a tiny jib of nylon between the screw and the arm. Just take an allen wrench and loosen your set screw a little, then adjust the tension to wherever you like it.

14. Willie D

Willie D Senior Stratmaster

Also (because I'm a "leave nothing to chance" guy) it's smart to go to G&L's webstore and order these, just in case you ever lose one. Comes with 6 set screws and 6 nylon pieces.

[​IMG]

Inverness, Strat*Fan81 and Silvercrow like this.

15. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Strat-O-Master

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    CONGRATS!

I've owned U.S. built Legacy and also ASAT Classic (Tele version). Excellent guitars!

Best wishes with it and although I've never owned a Tribute, the US models will readily accept aftermarket pickups...should you ever decide to go that way.

I loved the "Bass cut" knob on my Legacy, and the MFD pickups on my ASAT Classic, which, like you, left me somewhat cold at first, upon tweaking were some rich and mean-sounding pups!

Enjoy!

Brin