NGD, and more to come

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by dirocyn, Jun 30, 2020.

1. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

I bought a new (used) guitar today. It's a The Loar LH350, which I suppose is a sort of poor man's Gibson L4CE. Although honestly I was thinking ES-175, I do love that florentine cutaway. I haven't tried it out plugged in, just briefly played it acoustically when I met the previous owner in a parking lot in Nashville.

My wife says I need to let it sit in a closet for 72 hours. She's right, of course. Nashville is having some pretty serious problems with this pandemic and I don't need to be cavalier about it. But I just want to get it out and play it. Ugh, resisting temptation sucks.

Sorry about the photo quality, the light is not good (and I'm a lousy photographer).

[​IMG]

AND

I also got the winning bid on a Goodwill auction for a Horugel acoustic guitar. Near as I can tell, this is a name Samick bought in the late 60s. It looks to me like a copy of a Gibson J200, including flowers on the pickguard but not the mustache bridge. I don't like mustache bridges anyhow. I have no idea whether it needs work, taking a chance on this one. Obviously it'll need cleaning and strings.

[​IMG]

Seems like I was just saying I still want a jumbo and a jazz box. Life is good.

The Guild I ordered over a month ago still hasn't arrived--I'm gonna run out of guitar stands.

2. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Both nice guitars!

Jesse414 and dirocyn like this.
  3. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Strat-Talk Supporter

Nice! Congrats and enjoy

dirocyn, Martin Mim and Jesse414 like this.
  4. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

Happy double new guitar day to you !! They look really nice. :) What kind of pickup is on the Loar?

Martin Mim and Bladesg like this.
  5. Martin Mim

Martin Mim Strat-O-Master

Great finds. Enjoy!

dirocyn likes this.
  6. bojanbeo

bojanbeo Strat-Talk Member

Beautiful !

dirocyn likes this.
  7. dirocyn

This model comes with a Kent Armstrong pickup, it's attached to the neck.

Jesse414 likes this.
  8. dirocyn

24 hours down. 48 to go, before I can start playing my new guitar.

Haven't seen a shipping notification yet on the Horugel. I suppose I should dig around and see if I've got a set of bronze 13s on hand, and pick some up if I haven't.

9. dirocyn

The loar is hard to put down. It's voice is so variable! Sweet and pretty when you pick lightly, and it gets woody when you dig in.

The pickup output is less than I expected, I had to turn the amp up quite a bit for the amp to get louder than the guitar. Sounds good, though.

10. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Strat-Talker

Congratulations enjoy them.

dirocyn likes this.
  11. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

Congrats, man. Awesome finds! I think you should wait 96 hours, though, out of safety concerns. The latest medical info shows that the virus ... aww, I'm just messin' with you!

I'm glad somebody is having success with Goodwill Auctions. I think you really have to know your stuff, and you have to find a brand that the average Joe doesn't recognize (like a Horugel). All the stuff I've looked at ends up getting bid up to normal used prices, and then it's topped off with a $45 shipping fee and some nebulous "handling" fee.

dirocyn likes this.
  12. dirocyn

You're right about the fees. This guitar bid out at $113.99 but I paid $152.30. Right at 40 in shipping, handling, and sales tax. And with all those fees, they still haven't shipped it.

I actually lost 3 or 4 auctions before this one, and one of them ended up going for only $10 more than I bid. There were a two guitars on my watchlist that I chose not to bid on after getting this one--both went for $89. Probably worth $120, and probably the buyer paid $130 by the time you count shipping etc.

I had no idea what a Horugel was, I saw it and thought it looked interesting so I googled it. I still don't know if it's any good, or exactly how old it is. I do know Samick makes some excellent guitars and it also makes cheap ones, and since the inlays are pretty fancy I'm hopeful this is one of the good ones.

Nadnitram likes this.