NGD....and what a PITA

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by 3bolt79, Mar 9, 2020.

1. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

well, my new Ovation Celebrity Elite arrived this morning. And the first thing I noticed was that there was no relief in the neck. Great....if any of you have tried to adjust the neck on one of these, you know it can be a pain in the arse. Luckily I had a 4 mm Allen wrench that was long enough. You have to remove the plate on the back of the bowl, and feel around for the hole in and around where the fingerboard and bracing are. The wrench I had was long enough, but I had to use needle nose pliers on it in order to turn it. I tested it and everything works. Will be trying it out over the next week. My friend wants me to hit an open mic with her next week.

Attached Files:

Hugh, Bladesg, thomquietwolf and 7 others like this.
  2. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

Looks pretty

In high school, I had an '88 Collector Series

I never got used to the round back and traded it for a '67 Guild Starfire 12 string.

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

When I was younger I had enough lap for one of those. Nowadays, not so much. ;)

HNGD!

4. Nick Evans

Nick Evans Senior Stratmaster

I hope you sort your pain in the arse soon! Congrats

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. tery

tery Dr. Stratster

Sweet :) ... don't send it back .

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    3bolt79 likes this.
  6. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

HNGD!

7. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Tried one, ecxcellent tone but my gut said get longer arms or buy something flat.

wrvond and 3bolt79 like this.
  8. 3bolt79

It’s pretty cool. 10 inch radius and a V neck. Feels like my Dean V. I will have to make one more neck adjustment when I put the new strings on.its close now but needs to have the truss rod loosened just a bit more.

Deathray likes this.
  9. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Senior Stratmaster

Happy new great guitar dae! Here is mine:

[​IMG]

Hugh, albala, Bob the builder and 2 others like this.
  10. dublindave8456

dublindave8456 Strat-O-Master

looks nice

and i have heard them , they sound nice too.........

on the back is it flat ?

or that round shaped plastic ?

3bolt79 likes this.
  11. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-Talker

If it is made overseas, make sure the action is not too high where the neck joins the body because you wont be able to fix it.
    In the end of 2013 I bought one of the last Chinese Ovations that sweetwater was blasting out at $300...
    I don't know if the action was somewhat acceptable when I got it (and the neck warped over the next year) or if it was bad from the start, but I took the couple shims out from under the bridge and adjusted the truss all the way with no improvement.
    After 23 months I sent it back to sweetwater under warranty when Ryan Murphy called me on his annual call and asked if I needed anything... I told him about the Ovation and he immediately opened a call tag for me to send it back (without me even asking). They determined it was defective and refunded my $300.

I've got this really nice heavily padded rigid "gravity" case for an ovation sitting here for the last 4 years https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0027XJPO0/?tag=strattalk05-20
    and have been looking at Ovations to try and find one that sounds good and has proper action. Every single new Chinese model I have seen is not right. A few weeks ago I saw a used one at Guitar Center... the action was so high I almost did a double take. Again, I don't feel like mine was that bad when I got it... so I wonder if the necks warp or something? But maybe it was that bad?

Mine sounded really good- it was the only import model available at the time with the deep contour bowl that the US ones have... otherwise I would have given up on Ovations a long time ago. But I am going to finally sell this case which never left the house and is indistinguishable from a new one.

My advice? Make sure your action is PERFECT or send it back ASAP.

If it is perfect and it is a mid depth or deep bowl... do you need a case?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0027XJPO0/?tag=strattalk05-20

12. 3bolt79

My action is 4/64 on the low E through G strings and about 3 1/2 on the B and high E.

Mine is a mid depth bowl. And yeah I could use a case. Got one for sale that could fit it?
    It’s a round back.

13. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Man I jonesed hard for one of those type when I first saw Nancy Wilson play one in the '80s. But I never even considered how one would get to the truss rod. Friend has an Ovation mandolin that sounds and plays great, but replacing pickup battery in it is like playing a game of Operation !!

Andrew Wasson and 3bolt79 like this.
  14. stratmatt777

Yes, I do. It says it is made for mid and deep ovation bowls. I had a "deep countour bowl" ovation stored in it for two years, here in the office.
    It has never even left the house. I still have the cardboard box it was shipped in out in the shed.
    It has backpack straps on it too so you can carry it like a back pack.

It's this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0027XJPO0/?tag=strattalk05-20
    The main zipper and all the zippers for the three pouches where you can put paper stuff and packs of strings and tuners and stuff work perfectly and smoothly- I just tested them all (2 had never been unzipped before). There is no visible wear of any sort on it anywhere, not even on the bottom because it has never left the house.
    Almost all of the "new plastic" smell has off gassed from the interior, but there is still a trace of it. I could sell it on ebay as new and no one could tell that it wasn't new. :)

They are $100 new.
    How does $70 plus shipping sound?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  15. 3bolt79

Thanks man, but Fed ex driver just came and delivered another box. Apparently this one, which I got as a customer return, had a gig bag with it. Don’t know why they shipped it separately.

stratmatt777 likes this.
  16. stratmatt777

Very cool!! Free is always the best price!!
    In the event that the gig bag is more bag than case, and you want something better, the one I have is a very rigid foam case (you can't bend it if you tried to) that provides total protection.

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Platinum Supporting Member

I have never tried an Ovation. Maybe it is the wood snob in me. But reading this thread and looking at your's and few others might sway me. I'll give them a go the next time I can get my paws on one. Congats on the new addition. HNGD.

3bolt79 likes this.
  18. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Congrats Sure IS Purrty :)

3bolt79 likes this.
  19. 3bolt79

Well, I did adjust the neck again, and not much difference at first. Now about 2 hours later, most of the buzzing is gone, and there is a little bit of gap, holding the high E at the third fret and fretting the first. The neck was absolutely arrow straight when I unpacked it this morning. All the first fret notes are dead on with the tuner. I’m getting a good feel for adjusting the neck on this. Not so bad after you’ve done it a few times. You just can’t see what you are doing while you’re doing it.

20. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Oh My