Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD - BSB Squier Tele. Cheap & clean!

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by joe_cpwe, Nov 25, 2017.

1. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Strat-O-Master

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    20171125_170801.jpg
    This is what you get for hanging out in eBay late on a Monday night. The high bid was $73, so of course I put in $75, just for fun. I guess everyone else was asleep.

Anyway, this guitar is super clean and appears to be all stock except for the metal jack plate upgrade (they ship with a plastic one from the factory).
    My church had one of these laying around which I brought home last winter & put into good playing condition, so I knew what I was getting. It has Duncan Vintage stack pickups so I was curious how bad the stock pickups would be. They're not bad. Impressed with the full sized pots and a treble bleed.

All in all, it's a pretty good guitar, nothing needs to be upgraded. However, I will either replace the saddles or else put a 3 saddle compensated Wilkinson bridge on it. Since I got it so cheap, I may try may hand at converting it to a string-through bridge. I've also got a set of AVRI '52 tele pickups that looked good on eBay a few weeks ago...so..we'll find out what those sound like soon enough.

To me, the she small frets are the biggest draw back and may prevent this from ever being my lifetime Tele, but at the price I can lose on this one.

20171125_170429.jpg 20171125_170456.jpg 20171125_170510.jpg 20171125_170827.jpg

20171125_171305.jpg 20171125_171613.jpg

2. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    HNGD!
    Honestly, if you like the body when it's done, you can always get a neck with frets you like :)

joe_cpwe likes this.

3. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    Congrats on the guitar! Looks real good

joe_cpwe likes this.

4. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

May 7, 2014
    UK
    Sweet, congrats!

joe_cpwe likes this.

5. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-Talker

Jun 30, 2016
    Heart O' Dixie
    Nice score. I've got one just like it, 2 years newer, a gift and holiday deal from MF. Just today noticed the fishbelly white neck has darkened considerably, close now to my MIM's - its been sitting out for a year next to a window. My pickups are around 6.1/6.4k ohms. Its spanky clean and bright, makes a dark amp sound like a JC120, but its a little brittle with overdrive. I'm thinking about splurging $5 for a bleed cap and 100k pots, and maybe another $10 on some darker pups.

joe_cpwe likes this.

6. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 24, 2017
    Sharpsburg ,Ga.
    HNGD !!

For that price I might even get a tele. :)

joe_cpwe likes this.

7. Kenhreed

Kenhreed Strat-Talk Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Sacramento
    Good snag,
    Yesterday I nearly purchased a used Baja Telecaster before I realized it wasn't a used Fender Baja Telecaster.
    Yikes.

nuculer terrist and joe_cpwe like this.

8. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Strat-O-Master

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    I ran across a youtube video with comparison where I could clearly hear a brass saddle bridge taking some high end off and giving the tele more girth and evening out the sound. Almost like having a compressor. For around $25 the Wilkinson compensated looks to be the ticket for some improved tone,,,aside from what a pickup change could do.

9. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Strat-O-Master

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    For that price it's a no lose. Whether you need a Tele or not :)

nuculer terrist and fattboyzz like this.

10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-Talker

Jun 30, 2016
    Heart O' Dixie
    Interesting - I knew a top loader had less low end than string-thru, but thought it was about the ball ends anchoring into the wood and body. Maybe a saddle swap will add back some low end and attenuate the high end a bit? I dunno, three compensated saddles is $2.81 shipped on Ebay, I'm up to $17.81 bucks in mods...don't wanna over-do it. :)

joe_cpwe likes this.