NGD But...

ARRITDOR

Strat-Talk Member
Jun 11, 2012
Midwest
Some challenges dating this one. I have it narrowed down to American 87-97, mostly based on the neck plate, black springs, solid saddles and swimming pool routing. The neck pocket, however, is a mess. I've tried to compare to other neck pocket images but couldn't find anything that matches.
The best I could make out were letters "EZ" or "ZE" and a "733M" (it looks like this but but could something else). Others have found "PEREZ", "MENDEZ", "HERNANDEZ" and "CHAVEZ" stamped in the neck pocket.

The neck is a Warmoth, so it doesn't provide any help.
The sticker in the pickup cavity says:
T
9-16
AA

I'm posting here in the off chance that someone could provide a clue. I'm going to enjoy playing the guitar regardless, but curious to see if I can narrow the year down any further.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20140510_155357.jpg
    20140510_155357.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20140510_160037.jpg
    20140510_160037.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 30

albala

Dr. Stratster
May 10, 2012
Hilton Head, South Carolina
I collect these types of strats.

I've seen neck pockets that were like that. From here it looks like it said Chavez at one point...there's a 'VEZ'

1. looks like it used to be red and was painted black

2. Of the 6 strats I have, the 80's bodies seem like they're made from 2 pieces of wood. The 90's bodies I have are 3,4, or 5 pieces of wood. I don't know if it's conclusive of anything, just something I've noticed about the bodies I have.

3. there should be a black screw in the body cavity, or a hole where one used to be. I think the screw was used for grounding.

How about some more pics...is that a P90?

ARRITDOR

Strat-Talk Member
Jun 11, 2012
Midwest
Yes, you are observant! That's a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P90. I have a second one to install in the bridge, just haven't done it yet. So I presume the original electronics and pickgaurd to be long gone.
The owner said that the original color was red. He also said that Fender repainted it black, but I've never hear of Fender repainting guitars after the fact(?).
It does have the grounding screw in the p/u cavity.
I can also say it feels like a heavy body for a strat, but I haven't weighed it yet.