NGD: CIJ '57 Blackie and Neck Question

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by UmpaHimself, Jun 6, 2018.

1. UmpaHimself

UmpaHimself Senior Stratmaster

As a massive fan of Clapton and 50's Strats I was really excited to pick this one up. It's an '04 ST-57TX which means alder body and Texas Specials (soon to be swapped). I've always heard CIJ era guitars were not as good as MIJ era, but the fit and finish on this guitar is second to none. The frets are extremely well dressed, better then on both my MIA Strat and Tele, and the guitar just feels solid as a brick. As an added bonus it has a super flamey and chunky V neck which I love!

One question, the strings are much more taught on this guitar then my other Strats. Especially the B and high E strings are very resistant to bending. Is this due to the neck relief (or lack of)?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-O-Master

I think the CIJ not being good as MIJ talk is just an internet myth. I own 2 CIJ, a ST54 and and ST57 like yours, and they are just as well made as any of my MIJs. I'm surprised to hear your neck is a chunky V. I thought Vs were on the '54 models and the '57s have slimmer necks in general. I have 2 ST57's and their necks are closer to a modern C.

Sorry, I can't offer any insight to your string tension issue. Very nice guitar though! :thumb:

UmpaHimself likes this.
  3. aviamsi

aviamsi Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Congrats mate!!

UmpaHimself likes this.
  4. UmpaHimself

UmpaHimself Senior Stratmaster

Not sure about other ST-57s but this one has a beefy neck for sure. Bigger then my Tele with a U neck. Maybe this was a spare neck from the '54 model.

Thanks!