NGD - Closet Classic MIM Standard Strat HSS

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jeff W, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Jeff W

Jeff W Strat-Talk Member

[​IMG]A virtually unused 2007 MIM Standard Stratocaster HSS purchased at a pawn shop for $378. My observation while giving it a good cleaning and re-stringing is that it is virtually unplayed. There is no fret wear and very little scratchplate wear. The plastic was still under the scratchplate screws and volume and tone knobs. There was also buffing compound under all the covers and very few minor issues in the finish. The pickups and saddles were all factory-set (I know ‘cause it played well and in tune). The owner even pawned it WITH the designer guitar strap. Prolly never touched it.

It was not too dirty, though I found some dead roaches (Palmetto Bugs to Floridians) under the pickguard. Someone also “traced” the “This guitar equipped with Fender Super Bullets” decal on the back plate. Otherwise it is in, what I consider to be unplayed condition.

After a deep but thorough cleaning (I didn’t remove or disassemble the bridge), I restrung with EB Pure Nickel 10’s, adjusted relief (already close), checked the nut (spot on), adjusted pickup height to factory specs (they weren’t off by much) and, frankly, enjoyed the **** out of playing it for several hours, dialing in some great clean sounds on my Axe FX II.

I can’t say I’m not completely thrilled with this guitar. The fit and finish are as good as MIA, certainly through 2007. There are deficiencies for sure, but not in the wood or the finishing. In many respects, it’s better than my ’00 MIA Strat. I’m old enough to remember when 60’s-era Strats were just cheap guitars and this one is better than those by far.

As to the bridge, it is the vintage 6-screw type which I have long associated with authentic Strat tone. It has the bigger block, but the saddles seem inferior to its USA counterparts. Worse, they are screwed all the way down to the base plate and the screws protrude WAY above the tops (very uncomfortable). While the action is great as is, there is no room to go lower. I suspect I may need to shim the neck for that. Again, it’s no big deal, the guitar plays wonderfully as is, aside from the screws digging in to the palm of my hand. (I think others sell variable height screws just for this purpose).

The nut seems to be of the same material as my ’00 and is dialed in perfectly. The tuners seem to be the exact same ones on the USA models and keep perfect tune. The pickguard seems identical, too. Ditto for the neck plate (less the engraving). The electronics are all full-size CTS and Switchcraft, though the cavity isn’t as tidy as a custom instrument.

I’m not commenting on the pickups just yet since it is a personal policy of mine to define what it is I DON’T like about pickups before replacing them and I haven’t played it enough to do that. They do sound good; even the Humbucker. Very Stratty which is, after all, one of the reasons I got it in the first place.

The best part, and the main reason I wanted this model, was the neck geometry. Over the years I’ve come to realize I like the more narrow nut width of the vintage spec guitars. I definitely prefer the 1-5/8” nut over the standard 1.6875”, even if its a little cramped but, unfortunately, the 7.25” radius fingerboard makes them unusable to me. The 1.650” width seems a perfect compromise, but you can’t get it on USA Fenders except the American Originals — at $2000. Note this is the same geometry as most of the Suhr models, so it’s not just me.

It may seem silly to the casual observer that 3/100th’s of an inch makes any difference at all, but it does; bigly. I’m loving it. I hope I can still use my beloved McCarty after playing this!

In my opinion, this guitar is every bit the quality of USA made Fenders. The Mexican guitars have been hit or miss over the years, but there seems to have been a sea change in quality since 2006. As such, anyone looking for a great Strat should start with the Mexican models. They are top notch. I’m sure the new ones are even better.

In the end, I’m torn between keeping or selling. I bought it with the idea of checking it out, cleaning it up and reselling. It’s a money-maker for sure, but it’s a great guitar. As many know, no two Strats are alike. There are are good and bad in all price ranges. This one is a good one. For those of us with guitar collections primarily in our dreams, it's a tough choice.[​IMG] IMG_2691.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    bluejazzoid, Dana Rudd, xland and 5 others like this.
  2. Jeff W

Jeff W Strat-Talk Member

Having a hard time trying to post images.

3. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Looks like Cobalt Blue. Nice!

4. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Your not gonna get rich on that reselling that one:thumb:

5. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

Cockroaches under the pickguard???

6. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Great color!

StummerJoe and Jeff W like this.
  7. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Strat-Talker

Jeff, I can see that this one would be hard to let go, as it sounds like there are too many special qualities. Like you, I prefer a narrower nut width on my Strats, and the 1.65" with a 9.5" radius is perfect for me.

Congrats, and it sounds like either you or someone else will end up with a nice Strat. :)

Jeff W likes this.
  8. Jeff W

Jeff W Strat-Talk Member

The catalog calls the color “Electron Blue” (#387). Looks like the old Chrome Blue to me, but I don’t remember ever seeing Chrome Blue in person. A beautiful, dark, metallic blue.

LOL...as to making money, since its a peach with a rosewood fingerboard, it should sell for a premium. Not gonna get rich, but maybe 50% increase. Not bad for two hours work and a little due diligence.

And, then...on to the next one?

but this one would be no more...alas

9. Jeff W

Jeff W Strat-Talk Member

yuppers...dead, of course...3 carcasses.

10. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

Congrats! Happy NGD!

11. CRobbins

CRobbins Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Congrats!

12. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

How the hell did they get in? Lol

Jeff W likes this.
  13. w teeth

w teeth Strat-Talk Member

I also bought a virtually untouched 07 MIM HSS Strat from a friend last year. Best purchase I've made in a long time considering the price I got it for. I'm not the most informed person when it comes to MIA vs MIM, but wow do I love that guitar. It feels like a quality instrument for sure.

I'm thinking I need to check under the pickguard now though..

Jeff W likes this.
  14. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Senior Stratmaster

Congrats, great looking Strat. Good luck on getting the sounds you want.