NGD Coming for my Daughter

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by 3bolt79, Jun 9, 2021 at 6:08 PM.

1. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

I don’t know if any of you have seen the Wine Red, left handed, Strat that Lonn had for sale. It was listed at a price I couldn’t refuse. It’s just beautiful. From the early 2000’s I think.

It’s been almost two years since I got my left handed daughter a Squier Standard for her. I felt lucky to get that guitar at the price I did. I got it on clearance. I think I paid $179.00 for it brand new, due to the fact that the trem cavity was done kinda rough. Couldn’t see anything with the cover on.

My daughter has played off and on since she got it. But then we had COVID happen and the fires last summer, and we’ll, we didn’t play much during that time. I always regretted that I didn’t have the money to get her a real Fender. But then along comes @Lonn with a beautiful wine red MIM Strat. So she will have a guitar at my house and one at hers.

I went to Guitar center this morning to sell a couple guitars so I could pay for the new one. I took my Epiphone LP Jr and my Baretta Special.

The gal that was working there told me she could only pay me 50 bucks for the EPI. I said thanks I will keep it. Well, she took a look at the Kramer Baretta Special, and brings her manager out. He looks at it from afar, and then whispered something in her ear and she comes back with”I can only pay you $150.00”.

I said OK.

They must have thought must have thought that it was a higher model Baretta. They gave me $150.00, and I only paid $179.00 for the Baretta new. It even says Baretta Special on the truss rod cover. 3D6E6EE3-09C8-40F0-99CA-2437D780B7DE.jpeg

This the same store that gave me an unbelievable amount on a Kramer Pacer that I sold them. I got enough to buy an LP Studio and come out with a little over a hundred bucks in my pocket. I really think that these guys at GC are inept. However, I don’t feel it is my job to educate them. She should have paid more on the EPI and less on the Kramer. I mean WTF?

My granddaughter came with me to GC. I bought her some Maracas. Over all it was an enjoyable day.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021 at 6:27 PM
  2. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @3bolt79 -Buddy

that is nice that you , daughter and granddaughter all can bond over playing guitar:)

nobody else in my family likes guitars or amps

Cali Dude, Stratafied and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Anything you do for your daughter is worth whatever is costs you financially or otherwise. The duty is paramount and the rewards are immeasurable.

As for GC, they pay half of what they think they can sell for on lower priced items. An Epi Jr of the $180 variety (new) sells for $100 used. So $50 is expected. You can sell it on C/L for $100 without much difficulty.

On the Kramer, clearly they thought it was a different model. Not your problem, as they say. They make a lot of mistake buying equipment.

Cali Dude, Jesse414 and 3bolt79 like this.
  4. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

A lefty in the family, I bet she’ll be excited .

Cali Dude and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

‘My granddaughter is so much fun. And she is kind of a smart ass. Her sense of humor shows just how intelligent she is. And she is starting to develop a musical ear. She has almost grown into being the right size for her Squier mini pink Strat. I figure it’s better to get them stuff that they want, rather than them getting my money when I’m gone (which won’t go far).

I’ve set it up so that we all have guitars and amps. My Granddaughter and daughter have an Orange Crush amp at their home, and each have a guitar. My daughter has a left handed Squier SE and my grand daughter has a half size guitar, both electric. And when they come to my home, well I have a few amps. And they each will have a guitar.

Ben, my dad never liked listening to me play. When I was a teenager he heard me playing Clapton’s Forever Man. I was 14 years old. He didn’t want to listen to me play, and still doesn’t to this day. He couldn’t even sit still long enough to listen to a classical guitar tune that I got published.

When my dad heard me playing Clapton, he realized I needed better gear. So, later in the year at Christmas, he got me a Fender Dual Showman Reverb amp and a 1982 Smith Strat. Along with a Multivox Big Jam Pedal Board. I used that equipment for probably 15 years before I out grew it, or wore it out.

6. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

the Epi was a new Inspired By Gibson model. It cost almost $400 dollars new.

7. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

OH, that's different. People are listing them for $400 used (over retail, go figure) and they seem to sell at $325 or so. But again, G/C doesn't have a clue. They assumed it was the lower priced model.

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Yeah, she looked up an old model with a bolt on neck. But she will probably get in trouble, and the manager too, when the Big Boss finds out.

9. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Totally awesome Scott, you da man :thumb:

3bolt79 likes this.
  10. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

I am sure your 'lil Lefty will love you for it.

heartwarming.

:thumb::)

Cali Dude and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

"for your daughter...". If that's your story..., Works for me!

Bob the builder and 3bolt79 like this.
  12. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Nice sounds like a good transaction. Good stuff!!!

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. T-Rey

T-Rey StealYourFace Silver Member

That is a great looking lefty! Hope she enjoys it!

3bolt79 likes this.
  14. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

‘Yep. I don’t play lefty, so it would be of no use to me.

Groovey likes this.
  15. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Thats a nice looking Deep color on that lefty .

Congrats to the young lady !

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Back in about 2003 I had a Dean active bass that was really nice. I think I paid $100 for it and they were selling on eBay at the rime for $300. Took it to my local Dean dealer and they offered $50. GC was right across the street so I went there and they gave me $175. it hung on the wall for over a year and I eventually bought it back for $129 and sold it on ebay for $300. Just silly.

The-Kid, california2020 and 3bolt79 like this.
  17. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Like I like GC and well no skin of a customers back because its their deal they do this but storys like this are funny.

3bolt79 likes this.
  18. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Senior Stratmaster

Wow, that's such a cool gift. Your a great Dad. I bet she's stoked.

3bolt79 likes this.
  19. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Yeah my daughter used to have a classical guitar. This was three years ago. She decided she wanted an electric guitar. So we sold her Ramirez (which I bought for her) and I started looking for an electric for her. She liked my strats, so I found one. She got it, and she didn’t like it, playing right handed.

‘My daughter is ambidextrous, and she does some things with her left hand, and some things with her right. She played it righty for awhile. She played a year of classical guitar. Over the course of the year she learned to play one Aquado etude.

Then she told me she would really like to play left handed. Well her mother is left handed, and she played her guitar and liked it better lefty. So, I sold the righty Ibanez that I had got her, and looked for a lefty guitar. And looked and looked.

Well she was without a guitar most of 2020. Then Christmas came, and I found a left-handed Squier SE Strat. I got a smokin deal on one, but it was the only left handed guitar they had in the warehouse. There was the couple of months that the world was burning, in which we never got to get together and play. And we started playing after Christmas. Here she is with the Squier.

7F33EE64-DC08-4CE7-862D-AC0C7AAACE5C.jpeg

She was a happy girl. Then her car was out of commission, and she bought a real POS that runs well, but none of the doors lock. So she couldn’t take the guitar home with her and come back with it, as she didn’t have a straight shot to my house.

There was always someplace she had to be or something going on with the kids after school. She didn’t want to leave it in the car, because somebody would walk off with it. So I sent her, and my granddaughter home with a guitar each and an small Orange amp. Now both of them will have a guitar and an amp at my house and at theirs.

She is going to start coming back 3 times a week to visit and play guitar while the kids are in school, and that is nice because she and the grandkids usually stay for dinner.

JB74, Nubs and Cali Dude like this.