NGD Custom Shop 69 roadworn strat

Ocaster Ben

Strat-Talk Member
May 11, 2022
Australia
Had a great day, was able to try out a few Custom shop strats and Silver Skies, even compare them to an original 67 strat. Picked out the best one. Not that I could afford an original. I'm not into reliced guitars but non reliced options are limited, I had to put that aside as I just went for how they sounded (although this roadworn look is pretty cool). I like bright strats and picked one that was bright but still has a sweetness to the tone.

On a side note: I compared them to Silver Skies, wow they're impressive. One budget Silver Sky smoked some of the Custom Shops that were there. The main model Silver Sky is very hard to beat, I could have walked away with that and been happy with the tone, much cheaper as well. It's just a matter of wanting something a little more vintage sounding or more of a heavier punchy tone. What an eye opener.

69 Custom Shop roadworn:
Zsiu1xp.jpg

u0VAoEh.jpg

Last edited:

Buc McMaster

Strat-Talker
Jan 20, 2022
Texas
Nice! I have a '69 Journeyman that looks much the same......great guitar! The non-bullet big headstock is a winner. I haven't weighed mine but it does feel to be on the heavy side of Stratocasters.........yours heavy as well?

catsandstrats

Strat-Talker
Aug 2, 2020
US
Awesome acquisition! Love the Jimi at Woodstock vibe - such a classic look!

And agreed on the Silver Sky - I played one for the first time a few weeks back and couldn’t get over how much I liked it. If I had liked the color of the one in stock I may have been at risk for going home with it.

Ocaster Ben

Strat-Talk Member
May 11, 2022
Australia
Nice! I have a '69 Journeyman that looks much the same......great guitar! The non-bullet big headstock is a winner. I haven't weighed mine but it does feel to be on the heavy side of Stratocasters.........yours heavy as well?
Heavy for a Custom Shop, 3.6Kg. I now have three guitars that weigh that much so it doesn't bother me.

Ocaster Ben

Strat-Talk Member
May 11, 2022
Australia
That’s a keeper, great choice. Did you try the PRs se silver sky or the core model?
Both, and both blew me away. Very very hard to beat, the core model was just a little better but jeez, Fender better lift their game. The reason I chose my custom shop over the PRS is mine sounded a little brighter and more vintage. The PRS more heavier, they had some grunt to them, would have chosen the core model silver sky had mine not been their, over all the other Fender custom shops. What an eye opener.