Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NGD Dean Hardtail

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by RevBillyG, Feb 3, 2017.

1. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Strat-Talker

Nov 6, 2016
    Texas
    Way back in the day I was at a local music store & I saw a used Dean Hardtail select in Tiger's Eye. It caught my eye because my dream guitar is a BC Rich Mockingbird in that same finish.

Anyway, I took it off the wall, played it & thought, "Hmpf, nice guitar. But I wasn't looking to buy a guitar. I was just killing time while my daughter was at the ortho. So I played a few other guitars, checked out a few keyboards & was on my way out when it was time to pick up my daughter.

The store owner walks in as I was walking out, he joked about me leaving empty handed. We get around to me saying how impressed I was with that Dean & he said he'll make me a sweet deal on it as a guy just traded it in on a Les Paul.

He's always saying he'll make me a sweet deal & they're never really that sweet. So I was like, "nah, I gots to go get my daughter." He threw out $350 & I was shocked. Figured my daughter would get over waiting a bit.

It couldn't have been very old, because they just came out that year. They were like $600 new & this was almost half off, close enough for me anyway.

Anyway, I've had it for years & because it's so nice I decided I'd get a USA version sooner or later.

That day is today.

20170203_123637.jpg 20170203_123555.jpg
    20170203_123647.jpg

So this guitar doesn't have the push/pull coil splitting the Korean does. It's got a real flamed maple cap where the Korean has a flamed veneer over maple cap. This one has Seymour Duncan's already installed. & the back has a translucent finish on the back where the Korean is solid black.

1486151643081888393036.jpg

Now I'm going to go plug this thing in.

Attached Files:

Mech, wildhawk, jimyjazz and 4 others like this.
  2. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Strat-Talker

Nov 6, 2016
    Texas
    These are better pictures, taken by the guy who sold it.

MyHardTail.jpg

MyHardTail2.jpg

MyHardTail1.jpg

This guitar plays like a dream. Black binding over the fret ends, you can barely see it in the pictures, but it's there.

Dreadge, wildhawk, Tomas83 and 2 others like this.
  3. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Sweet. I've been a Dean fan since I started playing in 2001. Almost bought a baby blue EVO60 as my first guitar but went with a Squier Standard Strat instead. I've owned probably 30 or so Deans over the years but never a Hardtail, import or USA. Actually I've never even seen a USA Hardtail in person but I lusted over all the pics they had on the Dean site back in the day. They initially made 2 for the Three Doors Down guitar player but he went with PRS instead. Those guitars are my personal Holy Grail guitars. If I ever get rich I'm finding one and buying it.

RevBillyG likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Strat-Talker

Nov 6, 2016
    Texas
    Kissing Cousins

20170205_220153.jpg

Dreadge, wildhawk and jimyjazz like this.
  6. railroadman

railroadman Strat-O-Master

Feb 24, 2012
    N.J.
    Rev, that thing is breathtaking...

Congrats and enjoy, Brother.

RevBillyG likes this.
  7. jimyjazz

jimyjazz Senior Stratmaster

May 15, 2015
    New Zealand
    Congratulations man !! Looks great.